Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a VIP music prize in Dublin this weekend.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I would like to win this prize because myself and my lady friend have been through a year of insane, unexpected, heart-stoppingly scary stuff, and we've already decided to treat ourselves to a weekend of R and R, to calm our souls and remind ourselves that everything's A-OK as long as we have each other.

If we won this fantastic prize, we would literally be the most grateful couple in Dublin. And hey, check out the musical acts---talk about a cool soundtrack to a much-needed weekend of bliss.

As for Dublin: it's a nexus of awesomeness. Cultures from all across the globe mingle and mesh at the focal point of the country. No two days or nights are ever the same. Music and voices all hum a fresh tune. You can feel the history--beautiful and barbaric--when you walk the streets. The cobblestones and the Stiffy-by-the-Liffey...buskers filling Grafton Street with wild new tunes, and avid audiences...

There are so many places I want to visit, so many cultures to experience...but I will always call Dublin home.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭luckymusik

Why I would like to win this prize?
    Dublin is the city where I met my soulmate. :)
    I would like to spend a romantic weekend with my boyfriend, visiting the beautiful capital of Ireland at his arm, listening some brilliant Irish artists by his side.
    It will be brilliant to receive a special treat like this one, to stay at the new Gibson Hotel (beautiful "love nest" by their website pics) for 2 nights plus be a guest VIP at the Ceili Culture. Waow so many great artists during 2 days, what else to ask more…yes, one thing to ask, a little bit of luck to be found creative and be chosen.

What I like about Dublin ?
    Dublin is the city where I met my soulmate. I love this city and I really grateful to Dublin to have met a wonderful gentleman.:)

Dublin is an ideal city to spent a romantic weekend or live, there are so many things to do. Here are few ideas :

Where to go for a bite to eat…Dublin has all the tastes for everyone. There’s so much to choose from - Haute Cuisine to Thai, Moroccan, Italian, Chinese, Vegetarian, Sushi and traditional Irish dishes.

The Theatre…This is a wonderful night out if you’re a fan of the theatre. There are many theatres to choose from in Dublin.

Dance the night away…What a good craic to dance the night away at one of Dublin’s hot and happening clubs. Dublin has a great variety of clubs to choose from offering everything from salsa to R & B, jazz, soul, funk, pop, seventies disco and alternative. Or why not opt for traditional Irish song and dance instead.

Art Galleries…Not everyone’s cup of tea, I know, but there’s something very romantic about visiting an Art Gallery. Wandering around hand-in-hand, viewing fabulous paintings and sculptures by artists such as Renoir, Degas and Monet. It is quality time spent together in relative peace and quiet, being comfortable with not having to say anything whilst you appreciate the artists work.Notable art galleries in Dublin include the IMMA, National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane and Temple Bar Gallery and Studios.

Romantic Walks…What could be nicer than a romantic stroll in the park? Guaranteed not to break the bank, this will get you both out in the fresh air and away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
    There are several parks in and around the city centre, each with their own unique features. For example in the Garden of Remembrance you can enjoy Oisín Kelly’s beautiful sculpture of the Children of Lir. In the Iveagh Gardens there are fountain centre pieces, rockeries, a maze and a secret garden. At St. Stephen’s Green, you can stand in from that very predictable downpour (now commonly referred to as just a shower!) in the Victorian Lakeside shelter or at the Victorian Swiss shelter. Also featured here is a waterfall as well as Pulham rock and a lake (which attracts a variety of birds).

Shopping…
    Well if you really want to prove your undying love, a few hours of retail therapy won’t go amiss! Dublin has more than its fair share of shops.
    Shops well worth a look at are Arnott’s, Clery’s Department Store, Powerscourt Townhouse Centre, Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre and not forgetting Dublin’s street markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 uns12345

PICK ME!!!!!!!!!!
    As to why I'd like to win this prize, well everyone likes to win free stuff ;)
    but seriously I could really do with a pick me up, as another of the great unwashed and unworking in this country I've had a pretty bad week with a horrific interview by a panel who would have done well in the spanish inquisition, A friend's engagement party where I was snubbed by my ex and his new girlfriend, and the death of my little dog lucky who was tragically struck down in the prime of life by an Ice cream truck... (well i made that last bit up but the rest is all true I swear...) The main reason I should be picked is that I would make the most of it and would enjoy every second ( I missed out on Sharon Shannon & ShaneMcGowan when they were playing in Cavan last year) As they say "A nod is as good as a wink to a blind donkey" Now I don't really know what that means but perhaps I could find a nice Dublin boy(without a girlfriend) who could discuss it with me. Living in the bogs of Fermanagh I have never lived in Dublin and have only been there maybe four or five times, so I would love to experience it in style. Most Dublin people I have met have been great craic and I love the accent, I don't know Dublin very well so this would be a perfect opportunity to get to know and love it. Any way best of luck to me
    Photo39.jpg
    whilst this wasn't written in blood it is really hard to write backwards with your left hand on your right so I should get extra marks for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

im still a virgin and im trying to get stuck into a pogues fan

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gf2009

I'd love to win this prize because the musicians are some of the best Ireland has to offer and the chance to see them together is a fantastic prize.

"I remember that summer in Dublin,
    and the Liffy as it stank like hell,
    and the young people walking on Grafton St,
    and everyone looking so well"

Grafton Steet is one of my favourite things about Dublin...another is all the great musicians Dublin has produced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 bhotshot007

OH TO BE IN LOVE WITH MUSIC AND THE FAIR CITY MAKES YOU PROUD TO BE IRISH - WOULD TRULY ENJOY THIS EXPERIENCE - BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I TASTED DUBLIN IN ITS GLORY AND SOME SAVOURY MUSIC TO GO WITH IT AND A NICE HOTEL BREAK ON THE SIDE - DELICIOUS;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Born in Dublin and proud. Hence the name :D
    My favourite thing about Dublin is the Music. No matter where you go in town your nearly guaranteed to stumble upon a fantastic upcoming act. Theres an endless amount of talent in this country. I also really love the Grand Canal Theatre and the whole docklands development. I think its so beautiful and rich in culture.

I'm a big fan of Paddy Casey and i have been to a good 30+ Kíla gigs. I've even had bodhran lessons from the legendary Rónán Ó Snodaigh. I've more Kíla songs in my iTunes than any other artist.

123832.jpg

I thought about the criteria for the competition
    Darragh wrote: »
    To be in with a chance of winning, we'd like some creative answers on why you'd like to win this prize and what you love about Dublin.

The more effort you put into your answers, the higher the chance of winning!

and i want to win it so much i spend 4 hours yesterday recording my favourite Paddy Casey song 'Sweet Suburban Sky' at home. Vocals, Guitar and piano are all performed by myself. I hope you like it and i really hope i get to go at the weekend.

Video starts with footage from the last Kíla gig i was at then after that at 1:34 i'm doing my version of Paddys Sweet Suburban Sky. Not my best work but sure better than nothing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I would love to win this prize to bring my OH to these gigs, he is from England and his understanding of Irish music goes as far as the Saw Doctors....his parents love them and he was brought up listening to them and thinking all Irish bands were the same! LOL
    A stay in the hotel would be nice too, bothof us living at home with my parents, my brother and my 3yr old son makes things a little cramped!

I was born and bred in Dublin, I love it, I love the city, I love the atmosphere, I love the heritage, but most of all I love the people. The salt of the earth Dubs, the ones who can tell stories of days of old, who you could sit listening to for hours and not get bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks all. The competition has now closed and the winner, chosen by picking what we thought were the best entries and then using Random.org to generate a number from there has been PM'd. As soon as they're back to me, I'll announce who that is!

Thanks very much for entering :)

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Well done to DAK who won the prize - have a great time! Thanks again all who entered - we'll have more competitions soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

dak wrote: »
    Cairde Discover Ireland agus Boards.ie Ba mhaith liom buíochas a bhuaigh an duais mar ta me lucht leanúna mór ceile agus is breá liom gach saghas ceoil. Ba bhreá liom freisin mo bhean chóireáil le sos tuillte go maith an deireadh seachtaine seo. I gcás ina níos fearr ná chun fanacht san óstán Gibson nua a bhfuil an comhlachas ina ainm féin - a Gibson Les Paul Giotár.

Is breá liom Bhaile Átha Cliath mar gheall ar a chultúr, a chuid daoine cairdiúil, a ambiance, an stair go bhfuil cónaí ar na sráideanna agus na foirgnimh na mór go macalla an ceol buskers agus ceoltóirí mar meander tú ag baint suilt as feadh na radharcanna.

Comhghairdeas DAK ;)
    Bain tú taitneamh as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

As much as I hate to lose I'm happy it went to an 'as Gaeilge' entry!

áth mór DAK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the third twin

Well, I guess I'm stuck home studying this week-end. All the better for me!
    Well done DAK, ... one day I'll have to master the old Irish thing.... does come in handy at times! Tog è go bog é ( .... :) or something like that!)
    Pas d'souci vive l'Irlande et que la musique soit bonne ce week-end à Dublin!!! ( et vlan, ça ch'suis sûr que vous savez pas dire. ... on se console comme on peut!
    Allez, Ciao!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Well done DAK, enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

fair play...well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Just back form a wonderful weekend ! Really enjoyed it.. Thanks Darragh and Boards.ie for organising a wonderful prize. VIP passes were great and allowed you entrance to a gallery just across the road where we even got free drinks for the evening . Kila were great on the Saturday night and so was Paddy Casy. Sharon Shannon was great last night and Damien Demsey and Shane McGowan had the crowd going.

Gibson is a lovely hotel and from the bar balcony on the 3rd floor you can see nearly as much of Dublin as from the New Eye. Well worth a visit.

Go Raibh Maith agat

Dak

Advertisement