Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a bet

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Verance wrote: »
    Well the bookies disagree, they work the odds out the way myflipflops has, that's why no bookie would have layed 1000/1.

Are you one of those people who thinks that if a favourite hasn't won all day the next fav has a better chance of winning?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Well the bookies disagree, they work the odds out the way myflipflops has, that's why no bookie would have layed 1000/1.

Are you one of those people who thinks that if a favourite hasn't won all day the next fav has a better chance of winning?

do you know anything about statistics?the next fav does have more of a statistical chance of winning if one hasn't won all day,

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

i wonder what are the odds on them winnin 15 in a row?

I cant see any team gettin to within 10 points of them in the next 10 years!!

I hope this bet in killkenny is a true story, cause its one the punter will get over the bookie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

heavyballs wrote: »
    do you know anything about statistics?
    Well, I wouldn't call myself a statistician but did study it in college and have researched for gambling purposes.
    the next fav does have more of a statistical chance of winning if one hasn't won all day,
    No, that's wrong.

I was going to use the analogy of black coming up on a roulette wheel ten times in a row and people thinking it's more likely that red will come up next.

No, that's wrong.

I was going to use the analogy of black coming up on a roulette wheel ten times in a row and people thinking it's more likely that red will come up next.

It's all about sample size. Toss a fair coin 10 times and the outcome will more than likely vary wildly. Toss the same coin a billion times and you'll find a 50/50 split.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

do you know anything about statistics?the next fav does have more of a statistical chance of winning if one hasn't won all day,

Both Verance and L'prof are correct.

Expecting a fav to win sooner rather than later has been the downfall of many a punter. As L'prof suggested, the sample size just isn't big enough.

See also Martingale system, Results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

L'prof wrote: »
    It's all about sample size. Toss a fair coin 10 times and the outcome will more than likely vary wildly. Toss the same coin a billion times and you'll find a 50/50 split.

Yes but sample size only counts to future events. The results of past, unrelated events are meaningless.

If you toss a coin a billion times and get heads every time, the likelihood of the next toss being heads is still 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Perzacly, Proffessor Flip Flops. As my old daddy used to say "Luck has no memory".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Well, I wouldn't call myself a statistician but did study it in college and have researched for gambling purposes.

No, that's wrong.

Are you trying to apply a study of roulette to the favourite in a sporting event?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

Are you trying to apply a study of roulette to the favourite in a sporting event?
    Yup, no reds coming on a roulette wheel doesn't alter the true odds of the next colour being red, just as no favourites winning all day doesn't alter the true odds of the next favourite winning.

• Advertisement

Yes but sample size only counts to future events. The results of past, unrelated events are meaningless.

If you toss a coin a billion times and get heads every time, the likelihood of the next toss being heads is still 50/50.

So Kilkenny winning it the previous 4 years has no bearing on them winning it this year? I hear ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Yup, no reds coming on a roulette wheel doesn't alter the true odds of the next colour being red, just as no favourites winning all day doesn't alter the true odds of the next favourite winning.

Roulette is random the odds never change sport isn't. There are external factors to why a horse/dog/team is a favourite you cant bundle the two same bracket.

Sorry I just re read what you're getting at and agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

L'prof wrote: »
    So Kilkenny winning it the previous 4 years has no bearing on them winning it this year? I hear ya ;)

Unrelated results being the key part of the statement.

Naturally, it's a related contingency in the Kilkenny example.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Id say your being had with a double-sided coin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

Sore one.

Who's backing them for the next 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Sore one.
    I iz the one. :mad:

I backed Tipp though today to make a profit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭patmac

By the way LAdbrokes were offering 40/1 Kilkenny to win the next 5 including this one last Sunday, was tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

i wonder what are the odds on them winnin 15 in a row?

I cant see any team gettin to within 10 points of them in the next 10 years!!

I hope this bet in killkenny is a true story, cause its one the punter will get over the bookie :D
    I think you meant 10 days not 10 years
    sorry couldn't resist

Advertisement