Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books that have stayed with you

Options
  • 08-08-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just finished my college exams and have found that now i no longer have required reading to complete, i am back reading for enjoyment purposes.

Was wondering what (if any) books have stuck with ye fellow boardsies over the years, what ones have had a big impact on ye and why?
    any must reads that ye would recommend for those of us looking to be blown away by a book.

At the minute i am reading the perks of being a wall flower and am loving it. Are there any books ye would recommend that have at some point blown yer minds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

One Hundred Years of Solitude-Garcia Marquez
    Invisible Cities -Calvino
    Ficciones-Borges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

To Kill a Mockingbird had a massive impact on me when I read it. Over the same weekend I read The Picture of Dorian Gray, so I was bombarded by thought provoking literature (I don't think I've fully recovered, a few years on!)

Lord of the Rings instilled a love of reading in me and an even greater admiration of the non material world.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

The Grapes of Wrath (or anything written by Steinbeck)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fergywergy

Anthony Kiedis Autobiography is a keeper if ur into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I read this book about 7 years ago and I often think of it. It was called 'Saul' and it was about a premature baby and the first few months of his life spent in the neo-natal. The book was written from the point of view of the baby.

I thought the book was very powerful, it was a story of strength and endurance, happy and sad times. It was unique due to the fact that it was based on a true story, the woman who wrote the book (can't remember her name) actually wrote it about her son and his experience in the neo-natal ward.

It is a heart wrenching book, very sad in parts and I don't think I have every read anything that has made me cry so much and that's why it has stayed with me.

Not that I want to recommend a book that'll make you cry or anything, but if you are looking for something different, this may be one to try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

A Clockwork Orange - in fact, just finished reading it again this weekend, one that I never fails to fascinate me. Less Than Zero, have only read it once, but it's definitely stuck with me! And The Age of Innocence, because the ending always haunts me, I always want to know what really happened after the ending :o

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance has always been a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭One_Armed_Dwarf

Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis, read this while traveling a couple of years ago and it always stuck with me, it really is a "love it or hate it" type book as i've read a lot of bad reviews of it online but I loved the way you were never really 100% sure what was going on and the more messed up it gets the more confused you get. And theres alot of different interpretations of the novel online and some are very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

To Kill a Mockingbird - It really is one of the most powerful books ever written. Atticus Finch being the voice of reason, Bob Ewell being the voice of irrational hatred, the mob a mix of irrational hatred/prejudice and mindless sheep, Tom Robinson the innocent party (who has little-no say), and the whole notion of realising, as a young child, just how monsterously horrible the world really is.

Animal Farm and 1984 - The way the world in Animal Farm was pretty much a precursor to the dystopian world in 1984 was chilling.
    Both had *very* memorable endings that will always stay with me, gave me chills.

How Many Miles to Babylon? - The coldness of the mother character in this story was chilling,
    as was the main character's fate
    :(

The Road - I really don't think I need to explain that scene, do I? :eek:

Lord of the Flies - Similar reasons to Animal Farm/1984. The brutality was shocking.
    Poor Piggy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

To Kill a Mocking Bird, The Aeneid, Oedipus Rex, An Trial.

Can I say the Bible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    To Kill a Mocking Bird, The Aeneid, Oedipus Rex, An Trial.

Oh dear god, yes!! That thing nearly made me
    stick my head in an oven at the end of it.

Oh dear god, yes!! That thing nearly made me
    stick my head in an oven at the end of it.
    Was very sad alright, damning too. Was about the only worthwhile thing I have ever read in Irish. Must read it again.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Can I say the Bible?

The bible had a big impact on me as well. Whether you read it as the inspired word of God or as great literature it is very impressive (a lá the 23rd psalm)

'Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;'

To Kill a Mockingbird - It really is one of the most powerful books ever written. Atticus Finch being the voice of reason, Bob Ewell being the voice of irrational hatred, the mob a mix of irrational hatred/prejudice and mindless sheep, Tom Robinson the innocent party (who has little-no say), and the whole notion of realising, as a young child, just how monsterously horrible the world really is.

Animal Farm and 1984 - The way the world in Animal Farm was pretty much a precursor to the dystopian world in 1984 was chilling.
    Both had *very* memorable endings that will always stay with me, gave me chills.

How Many Miles to Babylon? - The coldness of the mother character in this story was chilling,
    as was the main character's fate

The Road - I really don't think I need to explain that scene, do I? :eek:

Lord of the Flies - Similar reasons to Animal Farm/1984. The brutality was shocking.
    Poor Piggy :(

We have disturbingly similar literary tastes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

The Monk by Mathew Lewis. One of the first gothic novels.

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Collection of short stories,only time I ever felt myself squirm while reading.

Denerick wrote: »
    The bible had a big impact on me as well. Whether you read it as the inspired word of God or as great literature it is very impressive (a lá the 23rd psalm)

'Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;'
    Yeah I agree, it stands up as a fascinating read even to those who are not religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Norweigan Wood, by Haruki Murakami, first English book I read in ages and it's still hanging over me. In a good way...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Neil Gaimens-Neverwhere,best book I ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I read it when I was about 16 for the first time and I still get chills when I re-read it now.

Lord of the Flies and the Heart of Darkness were ones from school that stuck with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

JohnDee wrote: »
    Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Collection of short stories,only time I ever felt myself squirm while reading.

A truly disgusting book.

The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosiński. Set during the holocaust, told through the eyes of a young orphan, and the things that he sees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Blood Relations by Eilis Dillon, read it as a kid and it instilled a love of history and historical novels in me.

Lord of the Rings has to be dipped into every few years and reread it was that enjoyable a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

The Diary of Anne Frank - read it during my formative years, still get choked up when I see references to it or to her life

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - read it last year, but really beautiful and sticks with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The Ginger Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

1984 and Animal Farm : for the exact same reasons stated in previous posts, amazing books

Of Mice and Men : Just such an amazing story with very true characters, the book is without any pomp or flamboyance yet is incredibly descriptive

Great Expectations : First had to read this in school and I have loved Dickens since. It's a book that brings me to another time, another world in my head and the characters are deliciously over the top and each one has a very definite image in my minds eye, a considerable achievement considering characters often have undefined features in my mind

Wild Swans : An amazing book and a wonderful way to learn history. I wish there were a similar book for every country, then learning history would be made simple (feel free to recommend similar!)

The Life of Pi : A recent book and a great book, after finishing I immediately looked up some academic reviews on it which really opened up the book for me. This truly is a book which has solidified my attitude as an atheist, or more accurately reconfirmed my opinions on why religion exists and why it is probably a good thing. Who wants to live in a yeastless world of cold hard facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Cloud Atlas.
    The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.
    Crime and Punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

if you are going to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez, read Love in the Time of Cholera first, instead of One Hundred Years of Solitude.

both are amazing, but Marquez's unique style is more muted in Love in the Time of Cholera than One Hundred Years of Solitude, and there is more of a plot to draw you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

naasrd wrote: »
    The Ginger Man.

Great book, pity the author hasn't produced anything approaching it since.

Sebastian Dangerfield is one of the great rogues of Irish literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Two that have really stuck in my mind are:

Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks
    The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell

Knut Hamsun - Mysteries
    Henry Miller - Tropic of Capricorn
    Mikhail Bulgakov - Master and Margherita

Cecelia Ahern - A Place Called Here (Immediate comic relief ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Maria - Mary Wollstonecraft (Early feminism at it's finest I know, but it is a great read!)

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy (I just LOVE this story. I could reread it a million times. Really want to get the BBC series version with Gemma Aterton on dvd too).

Strangely enough I studied both these novels in the final year of my BA! Exam stress didn't take the joy out of reading them! :)

Advertisement