Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you feeding your dog?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I feed my GSD Arden Grange and he is great on it. He's actually been excellent on all types of dry food we have given him lately(had to use some Bakers/Red Mills for a few days until his food arrived:o)......................except one:

The only food that ran through him was JWB and the same happened with my friends two GSD's so we think somethings up with their batches recently:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Well I got Burns Chicken & Brown Rice so will see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but even 27% protein is far too high unless its for a puppy or a working dog. I cant beleive the light food with RC has 30%, thats madness!! I wouldnt even put a puppy on 30% protein, its way too much.

You should be looking at somewhere between 20-24% protein max for a normal pet dog that doesnt have high energy needs and the lower the better for a dog that has weight problems.

I would look at Burns, or Arden Grange maybe or JWB or Clinivet as their protein should be a lot lower.

Can I just ask why you think a high protein percentage is bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

wopper10 wrote: »
    Can I just ask why you think a high protein percentage is bad?

I would think its bad because it gives the dog way too much energy , hence why its good for working dogs .

I feed mine Husse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

called round the other night to a friend and she was feeding the dog the remainder of their dinner - spag bol - and the dog demolished it!

She showed me a bag of RC she said she paid €60 for and told me the dog preferred the spag bol

I know bread isn't good but can dogs digest pasta properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

sligopark wrote: »
    I know bread isn't good but can dogs digest pasta properly?

Plain pasta is ok (no sauce), it is often given to weaning pups and convalescing dogs as it is easy to digest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Rommie wrote: »
    I get it in the petshop Maxi Zoo in Tallaght, I think they have about 7 or 8 shops around the country altogether. I was going to start my fellas on Hills but when they told me about the Real Nature I went with it instead. You might be able to find some info on their website about it.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to come on to recommend the Real Nature Brand.

My dog (35kg GSD cross) loves it and so do I.

It might seem expensive but is more than worth it. 350g a day and she is flying - coat beautiful, eyes brighter and only one solid poo a day making my life much easier.

Do your dog and yourself a favour and buy this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

lrushe wrote: »
    Really?! I found JWB ran the guts out of my dogs :eek: Guess it really does depend on the individual dog as to what suits them.
    I'm now feeding them GAIN complete (€18 15kg bag) and supplementing with fresh meat, veg, fish and fish oils and I'm really happy with the results, firm poops, glossy coat etc.

My dog would be on the sensitive tummy side aswell, so I found Gain big dog really agrees with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

my collie and 2 fell terriers are fed on barf;
    raw unwashed green tripe
    fish heads
    cull roosters (skinned and gutted)
    beef bones
    occasionally liver + kidneys
    cows tongue
    cow/sheep heart
    whole rabbit (skinned and gutted)
    venison, liver, heart, tongue, kidneys, neck meat.

my 2 house dogs are fed on eukaneuba

Advertisement