Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsigned artist

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi everybody, I need some info on how an artist might get signed. I make my own computer generated music at home and have been told that its very good (from my mother):D.... well family and friends and the odd stranger and my mother doesn't like that DER DER DER music. All web sites i have came across look for money, then upload your tunes.
    If anyone has any info, advise or a contact in the music making, signed to a record label buisness please let my know. Here is a link to some of my tunes, feed back is always welcome.
    http://soundcloud.com/stefan-carroll
    Thanks fof your time.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

step one:find a record laberl that releases similar music to the stuff you make

step two:google the label and find the contact details of the label or demo submissions

step three:send them your track

then sit back and wait for the offers.if they like it theyll ask to sign it.if not you wont hear from them.

this is how its done by 99% of peole who make dance music.

seriously its that easy(if your songs are good enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

i havent a clue about any of this but do ya not need to copyright your music 1st? i mean whats to stop them releasing a track ya send em if its not, without your concent like? or even just robbin your idea and modifyin it, as i said havent a clue so this is just a querie more than anything.

es-cee wrote: »
    i havent a clue about any of this but do ya not need to copyright your music 1st? i mean whats to stop them releasing a track ya send em if its not, without your concent like? or even just robbin your idea and modifyin it, as i said havent a clue so this is just a querie more than anything.
    noone does this anymore.
    all you send them is an mp3.you have the project file which would trump them in court and for that reason noone does this.

those scare stories died out years ago.
    anyone can release music now so coyright infringement like that doesnt happen anymore

also on the idea front.dance music is so samey you could basically say everyone is copying everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

seannash wrote: »
    noone does this anymore.
    all you send them is an mp3.you have the project file which would trump them in court and for that reason noone does this.

those scare stories died out years ago.
    anyone can release music now so coyright infringement like that doesnt happen anymore

also on the idea front.dance music is so samey you could basically say everyone is copying everyone

cool, so say for instance i whipped up somethin decent on fl studio i could then send it off to whatever label with no chance of it bein copied?

might give it a bash, got a nice jungle track together about a month ago that ive gotten positive feedback on from most people that have listened to it, (mates and strangers).

nice1 for the ibfo sean :)

es-cee wrote: »
    cool, so say for instance i whipped up somethin decent on fl studio i could then send it off to whatever label with no chance of it bein copied?

might give it a bash, got a nice jungle track together about a month ago that ive gotten positive feedback on from most people that have listened to it, (mates and strangers).

nice1 for the ibfo sean :)

thats pretty much it man.its that easy as long as the label likes the tracks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

You'd want to make sure you had no cracked software on your computer for that though! ;)

I wondered about that too... I thought the best thing to do was to upload it to somewhere like soundcloud so that it can't be disputed that you adjusted the 'created time' on the files or something like that... I understand that this is more academic/fantasy than anything.

well look if it ever went to court(highly unlikely)

you would have a project file(for those of you who dont know what that is its basically the info for all the channels in your song.softsynth settings,routing settings,audio files etc etc)

now how the hell would you have this project file and be the only one who has the project file.all the label would have would be a copy of the song.

you could go to great lenghts to make sure noone copyrights your tracks but its really not necessary.

But somebody could just hear some melody/chords basically the midi elements of a track and build their own song around it, then if it ever got to court you would have a hard time proving that you came up with the original melody.

every single chord sequence and progression has been done before.were all copying.there are no truely original melodies(well pleasing ones anyway)

yes people can copy but to be honest for a label its just easier to sign the track because it costs them nothing to sign a track these days

I know what you mean. I think one of the jobs of musicologists is that if such a case were ever to go to court, they get hired by the record company to go through every scrap of music over the last 400+ years to prove that the mucial idea wasn't original in the first place. And a record company would have to be insane to go and f*** over someone who could do something truely original rather than have them in their stable but stranger things have happened...

EDIT: You'd also want to watch out for this kind of chappie! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

You'd want to make sure you had no cracked software on your computer for that though! ;)

Record company 1...

Copey 0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

One thing that I've heard people give out about is hopeful artists sending a mass email with their track to 10/20 labels. You should always personalize each email, and send them one by one. It's worth the time.

Another way of getting music out there is to send it to prolific blogs and DJs of your kind of music. If you get a positive reception from DJs and blogs, you can then go to labels saying Mr. Big DJ is playing this out in front of thousands of people, or Mr. Big Blogger has a post saying my track is bigger than jesus.

Advertisement