Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've Turned The Corner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I turned the corner yesterday and realised I'd dropped my wallet around in the other street. When I ran back to get it there were four men in suits fighting over it. All I had in it was a coffee shop loyalty card and an out-of-date condom. When I shouted at them one dropped to his knees and began to wail. The others withered to dust before my eyes.

As an allegory about the recession I think the above story speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Shut up about the god dam recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I turned the corner yesterday and realised I'd dropped my wallet around in the other street. When I ran back to get it there were four men in suits fighting over it. All I had in it was a coffee shop loyalty card and an out-of-date condom. When I shouted at them one dropped to his knees and began to wail. The others withered to dust before my eyes.

As an allegory about the recession I think the above story speaks volumes.

Fupping brilliant! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Forbidden
    You do not have permission to access this document.

mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

According to Cowen & Cohorts, we've been turning corners for months now. The only problem with turning corners is that, at some point, you end up going around the block & end up back where you started out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

NAMA, Fianna Fáil, Cowen, generic rant.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Tank gad thats over, now has anyone got a spare half million I've me eye on a lovely garden shed outside of Bray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

According to Cowen & Cohorts, we've been turning corners for months now. The only problem with turning corners is that, at some point, you end up going around the block & end up back where you started out.
    Well said, and they want us distracted by this spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Emigration is almost catching up with job losses. Hurrah, everything is OK, nothing to see here, move along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Recession??? I make more money now than I ever did! Every shop has a sale on!! Competition is fierce so places going to alot more effort to entertain customers!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

will yiz all hurry up and emigrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Did we turn a corner or are we going around the bend?

:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Did we turn a corner or are we going around the bend?

:cool:

We just failed to take the bend and went over the cliff I'm afraid, I'm awaiting the part for when the car bursts into flames in a fireball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Grimes wrote: »

Indeed. there has to be enough thickos left behind to vote FF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

turned the corner right into a brick wall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

You know guys this is only the start, it looks like the stimulus is the u.s.a has failed and they and indeed ourselves are in for what is know as a double dip recession, for Ireland think a Japan like case x2, we will be in this depression for another 10+ years folks.

Oh look how Fianna Fail Tv (rte news) are reporting the news:rolleyes:

You know guys this is only the start, it looks like the stimulus is the u.s.a has failed and they and indeed ourselves are in for what is know as a double dip recession, for Ireland think a Japan like case x2, we will be in this depression for another 10+ years folks.

I'm in the US. We took the second hit/dip about a month ago but it wasnt nearly as bad as autumn'08.

I dont think the stimulus failed, I think it would have been considerably worse without it. However there's still serious trouble. A lot of people are reaching the limit of their unemployment benefits (you only get a year). After that they're on their own with no help.

Bizarrely if you've run out of unemployment benefits you also drop off the unemployment numbers which means the unemployment t figures for the US are way higher than stated.

We wont be in a depression for ten years however it may be ten before we're back at pre-depression levels.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Bizarrely if you've run out of unemployment benefits you also drop off the unemployment numbers which means the unemployment t figures for the US are way higher than stated.

The true rate of unemployment is hid in this country, people on F.A.S courses dont get included on the live register and the goverment are packing them in to these courses and dont forget the self employed unemployed if that makes sense , i believe the true number of unemployed is north of 700,000 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

The entire increase can be accounted for by a bunch of students signing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

it seems that what they want us to do...:mad:

T-Square wrote: »
    The entire increase can be accounted for by a bunch of students signing on.

No students are not allowed to sign on until at least 3 months have passed since they left college, those already in college are not allowed sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I think the building that we are walking around in this recession is a round tower.

charlemont wrote: »
    it seems that what they want us to do...:mad:

What they should do is give people who want it 6 months dole in advance to go to another country on the condition that they are not allowed claim again for a year. Id take it in a heartbeat and go to Canada for the winter months.

When everyones gone, I'm coming back.

It'll be nice and quiet with plenty of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

yeah thgins are bad...but lets be fair to our country. we invested in education...which means we have a talented, educated workforce...we invested in social welfare...hwich means we actually give a s hit about our vunerable communitys...we invested in a NDP which means we have a reasonable Social/National infrastructure.

from a personal perspective Im so glad this recession happened. Its taught all of us that there is no such thing as a free lunch (;) €30-€50 per hour trades men)...and that when my kids grow up they will be studying this financial and economic crisis in school/college knowing why it will never be allowed happen again....and why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Yes folks we have finally turned the corner of this recession
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lreg.pdf
    A rise of only 13,942 in a month, recession what recession:rolleyes:

What did you expect there to be an instant recovery in employment? The recession is over, Ireland has one of the highest rates of growth, if not the highest rate of growth in the EU. Employment is a lagging indicator. The live register is not a measure of unemployment either.

[QUOTE=oppenheimer1;67300571 The recession is over, Ireland has one of the highest rates of growth, if not the highest rate of growth in the EU.[/QUOTE]

Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Are you for real?

Of course I'm for real. Did I say anything that isn't true?? Were you expecting things to return to what they were like during the boom when the recession ended? Welcome to the new reality sir.

Advertisement