Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There seems to be a few different ways to calculate zones, those ones i use are actually Friels. ...
    Yes i was taking the 5mile as threshold pace, mistakingly so? I would have considered (bear in mind i would have used Friels method of the 30min LTHR test previously) that a 30min race would be a good indicator.

The links I gave were to Friel - he says you should use a 30 minute time trial or a 60 minute race to work out your LTHR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RayCun wrote: »
    The links I gave were to Friel - he says you should use a 30 minute time trial or a 60 minute race to work out your LTHR.

I was essentially time trialing for those 30mins in Raheny;). I know its not ideal and ideally it should be done solo but its a fair marker and probably not far off (give or take a few secs) considering last LTHR test was 3:55 pace.

Interesting article given the recent discussions on here
    http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2013/02/04/time-to-forget-the-long-slow-run

Monday 4th
    45min core & some foam rolling
    Boring but has to be done!

Swim
    Easy enough session with just 2.1k of swim. Wu included 4x50k and 4x50fist which came in 59,58,58,57. Next up 400, 2x200p and 4x100 all easy/steady with 15sec recoveries. Was swimming along in the 400 taking it handy and even getting caught in some traffic midway through. You can imagine my surprise when i seen a 400pb in 7:06 (7sec pb) Sub 7 will happen when i test properly. 2x200s came in 3:33,7 and 4x100 in 1.46,48,40,45. I made a slight stroke adjustment in the 3rd and 4th 100. Another decent enough swim.
    49:24,2.1k,1.51 moving time,swolf78

Tuesday 5th
    Lunchtime Run
    A miserable run in driving wind and ice cold rain. Took me an age to warm up when i got back to the office. Felt like i was running on the spot into the wind.
    35mins,7.21kms,4.51m/km pace

Turbo
    Pretty much spanked this session on its ar$e. Felt full of beans getting on and had my trusty SHM music on full blast in the background. Easy 10mins, some HC work and into 6x5mins @ FTP alternating between BG and normal with 1min easy in between.
    Each effort pushed just past FTP and felt strong on each one. BG efforts at 3.5% slope in 53/11 gear.
    287w - 59rpm
    284w - 90rpm
    285w - 59rpm
    286w - 85rpm
    287w - 58rpm
    288w - 85rpm
    Session finished off with 5x20sec all out hard sprints, legs full of lactic at this stage. 630w,484w,484w,522w,428w. Pleased with this one as new 1hr & 20sec power readings.
    66mins,AP243w/NP262w,Cad:80

Wednesday 6th
    Swim
    4km set and it was a bit of a struggle. Not so much with form just arms felt heavy and had no power in the pull phase which reflected in the slower times to recent swims.
    4x50fists in 60-62secs
    Main set was 5 x 300sw easy and 2x100p steady with 15-20secs rec
    300s in - 5.54,51,52,49,55 and 100s all between 1.44-1.52 but mainly high 40s. Fast 50s for a finish in 48,49,48,50.

Lunchtime run
    Another poor run and i was not running well. Not sure what the cause is but feels like i have only started running this week:confused: A bit of a slog tbh.
    44mins,9.17kms,4.48m/km pace

Core/roller/stretch
    I was left shaking after some of the core exercises and my core felt it. I really hate doing these sessions with a passion but its the one area of my body that i always struggle to tone up even though the rest of me is lean.
    Rolling was very painful. My hips and in particular glutes, (right one being very tight). Think i managed to get in and released some of the tightness but might take a trip down to MWT to loosen out things before ADhabi.

Thursday AM 7th
    Long treddie run
    Struggled out of bed early this morning even after hitting the hay early. Within a few minutes i was quitely tipping along on the dreadmill at 5.30am for another 90 minutes as 1hr easy and 30mins steady. Once again running not feeling fluid and has not in my last 3 runs (need a good one) but at least i was able to concentrate and try keep the form as best i could.
    Did not push the pace too much when hitting steady effort, tbh i was running pretty crap so would not have been able to:o
    Just a short recovery run tonight and chillax.
    90mins, 19.8kms,4.33m/km

Felt a bit flat the last two days in particular on the running front, lets hope things pick up for the weekend as i want to nail the last of these key sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd assume these feelings are down to cumulative fatigue - both physical and mental. Are you starting taper soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fair play to you Fran. The last few keys sessions are always the hardest and where i sometimes cave in slightly! They really give that icing on the cake though. I'd say you cannot wait for taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I mean, the general rule is run your fast runs fast and your slow runs slow.
    Your race pace on Sunday was about 3.50? Your marathon pace, if you were to do a marathon around now, would be 4.10? (just checked, 4.09 for a 2.55 marathon)

To be honest his race time wasn't great. In all honesty slightly pi$$ poor. Even taking into account his lack of focus on the distance and fast running there should be another reason. Something like heading off for a 30+ hour training camp with athletically more mature pro and semi pro athletetes who are much more committed, younger, unmarried, taller, and genetically superior a few days before the race. That *could* explain the poor time but in the absence of something like that.....
    Your easy runs seem to be too fast, too close to those race paces, and maybe you are pushing yourself too hard on runs that should be easy. I don't understand the point of 30 minutes at 4k pace after an hour easy, for example.

Lets say you start an IM run at an easy pace. Regardless the last 5-10 miles will feel tough for most, brutual even. Even though the pace maintained remains the same. How can you prepare body and mind for this? Some ideas are:
    1) Long runs in uber lightweight racers
    2) Double long run days
    3) Long runs on successive days until you get that sensation

There are lots of ways to simulate it, however most are rather destructive. A progression long run can give some preparation without too much cost.

Ideally the robustness of legs would be developed multi annually, say a five year plan to an IM, but it seems JB doesn't have time for this!
    It seems like you're pushing yourself too much, to try to make fast gains?

Agreed
    But you need to factor in recovery too (and 4.50 is not recovery pace:))

Disagree, recovery pace depends on the runner, the time of day, what they had for dinner, what the weather is like etc
    I realise I'm coming at this from a runner's perspective, and your training is different because you also have the swims and cycles, but maybe your peaks would be higher if you let yourself ease off more in between?

Swimming wise I gather JB does little that would tax the body. Appears four quality sessions a week across the bike and run. Hardly excessive, especially as the quality runs aren't that tough as the tough stuff would be too much I'd imagine.
    BTH wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree. Your easy pace would seem to be far too fast. Your easy pace is not 4:30. Your races times don't support that.

I'll get lynced for this but 4:30 IS SLOW for someone putting a serious effort into training, diet and lifestyle its slow.
    I agree on his 5 miler not supporting this however the five miler was a poor result. If it was me I'd have not done the 5 miler. I'd have seen it as pointless. I'm sure his coach pointed this out and then accepted that JB is a stubborn hobbit.
    How do you measure the ease of this pace? HR? Feel?

I don't know how others do it but I would base it of HR as determined by a 30 minute TT combined with pace, ability to talk and sing, and experience.
    As Ray says, based on your race at the weekend your easy pace, I would expect, would be closer to 4:45/4:50 on a good day, while recovery pace 5:00 or thereabouts. Which would be similar to where I am at the moment.

4:45/4:50 thats where I am too. I'm rather ashamed of it. As for having a recovery pace - I see paces as being (All out, Hard, Mod hard, Steady and Easy) I'd see the pace zone down from easy not as "Recovery" but "Fvcked". If I wanted to active recovery I'd swim or ride.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    To be honest JB, based on current easy and LR paces I figured you would run low 29 in Raheny...

Fresh with an altered approach to running I think he'd be easily 29. I get the impression all his run training is based on being robust rather than fast. I get the impression the run training cannot be all out as it could be if he was more experienced as IM is all about the bike and the hard bike sessions he seems to do would, in my opinion, bork you for running.
    Obviously you're balancing three sports so you have to consider how each one peaks and each is recovery from the others.

I don't think JB has the abilty to do damage to himself in the pool!
    If you do one 400 (or 600/800/1k) and recover fully before the next, that's going to work your anaerobic system, but if you do 5k worth of intervals with short/jog recoveries it's an aerobic workout.

There is an interesting concept in cycling. Normalised power.

If you take the cycling equivalent of "5k worth of intervals with short/jog recoveries" you can get an average power which would suggest an aerobic and somewhat light session.

(Lets say: the average power for a sprint was 600 watts and the average power for a recovery was 100 watts. Lets say the time of recoveries was the same as the time for the sprints.
    Average power is: (500 + 100 + 500 + 100 + 500 + 100 + 500 + 100 + 500 + 100 + 500 + 100)/12 = 3000/12 = 250 watts
    Not a huge number but is this an accurage reflection of the "work done" in the session. Research has said no. Hence Normalised Power

Normalised power is: Quadratic root of ((500^4 + 100^4 + 500^4 + 100^4 + 500^4 + 100^4 + 500^4 + 100^4 + 500^4 + 100^4 + 500^4 + 100^4)/12 = Quadratic root (375600000000/12) = Quadratic root(31300000000) = 420 watts
    A much scaried number for those familar with power

So just because you add some recoveries to a session doesn't mean that that interval session no longer addresses different energy systems and ellicte different training responses.

It's got to be hard to run by feel on a treadmill, isn't it? Outdoors, I slow down or speed up without thinking about it, on a treadmill you're more likely to adjust your pace to the machine.

I hate threadmills

I think it would be worth trying the HRM for a while, just to see.

Agree
    To me, your estimate of easy pace is too close to your hard paces to really be 'easy' - it looks more like a 'steady' pace, a pace you can maintain for the length of the session without feeling like you are killing yourself, but still more work than it should be.

My easy paces are 4:45-4:50, I suspect I couldn't do a 5 miler in much better than 34 minutes but my easy is most definitely easy. HR, RPE, breathing, experience

Maybe I'm just lazy :D but I think easy should be easy, 20/30 minutes later you feel no real after-effects. (and recovery is no more effort than walking)

A good way to know if you are going too hard or not hard enough in hard sessions :)

"Have to pi$$? You're not going hard enough. If you might sh1t yourself you're going too hard. Can't hold food down after? You WENT too hard."
    but I think you're the one whose training paces don't align well with race performances.
    One race.

jacky, what is your IM marathon race pace - am I right in thinking around 3:30 for the marathon, or 8min/mile, 5min/km. Should a lot of training not be done at this pace (or effort level)?
    pace or effort level

Two very very different things.
    I would have thought that 60mins at that pace would be more beneficial (specific training) than 30mins at 4:20/km pace...but maybe that marathon training thinking doesn't fit with triathlon training.

Pace or effort level

a) learn to use energy as economically as possible and
    b) have as much energy available to you as possible.

a) will be achieved by using glycogen as sparingly as possible and rely more on fat. The harder the effort the more glycogen used and the lower the effort the less glycogen used. So if you take your current 'easy' effort down a notch to 'very easy' you'll be using less glycogen, training the energy systems needed on race day. If that very easy effort is 5:20 pace today, in a few weeks it might be 5:10 and then 5:00 and so on, for the same low glycogen usage, as you get trained at that effort level. How that happens is related to b) below.

But you aren't trying to get the body to use *less* glycogen but rather more fat. Running easy doesn't promote increased fat oxidisation. Oh that it did.

b) Imagine you have 1,000 muscle fibres in your leg, 500 fast twitch, 500 slow twitch. If you are always running within a narrow pace range (I think 4:20-4:50 is mentioned above and given your 5m time of 3:47/km and so lactate turnpoint pace ~4:00/km, marathon pace ~4:10/km) you may be predominantly using and thus training 200 of the slow twitch and 100 of the fast twitch fibres. So those trained fibres will have plenty mitochondria, ability to store lots of glycogen etc. and so enhanced ability to store and use energy. But the more fibres you have trained, the more energy you'll be able to store and use.

Mitochondria don't store glycogen, mitochondria produce ATP. Slow twitch do so aerobically using carbohydrates, fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids as substrates. Slow twitch muscles have losts of mitochondria, fast twitch do not.

The body can store a finite about of glycogen, after that its fat that is used. The goal for IM in general is to promote fat oxidisation. Thats it really
    The fast twitch fibres won't be much use to you in the IM as they'd use up glycogen too quickly. But the more slow twitch fibres you have trained the better you'll run as you'll have access to more energy. You can recruit these untrained slow twitch fibres by

i) running at easier efforts (I don't like saying more slowly, as while it might be slower than you currently run initially, it will speed up with time, for the same effort). Muscle recruitment is based on force requirement. Less force is needed the slower the pace, so at easier efforts the slowest twitch fibres will be recruited.
    ii) running lots - if you use up energy stores of a fibre on a run and then run again before it is fully replenished, that fibre cannot be recruited, so another one gets called up and hence trained.
    iii) running long - the 200 fibres you usually use will fatigue/use up their energy stores during a long run and so other fibres are recruited to take their place.

I think the best approach to IM running is frequency fo running.
    I don't think the question should be whether you are running too fast, but what are you hoping to achieve from each run. I imagine when IM training it's all about sparing glycogen use and low lactate levels. So rather than query the pace, query the cost - what energy does your every day run cost you. If it is easy then it should be fine, but that's only as long as you have a good perception of easy. The best way to find out would be to do a lactate test on the run.

By the time he hits the run on an IM the race is already won or lost. If he went too hard on the bike he will have used too much CHO and its game over regardless of the pace he runs at. The damage to glycogen stores will be done on the bike.

Everyone is focussing on energy stores but another real limiter is the central governor. If thats not trained, and pi$$ing about running easy will not do it, then its just not going to happen on race day.
    Not necessarily, depending on the 'cost' of your easy pace, as above. You run practically all your miles at or faster than IM pace, 4:44/km. Would this be the case with pro triathletes? Do the lads who run in the 2:40s in an IM do all their running at 4min/km or faster? They may well do, I'm just asking as I don't know and this would certainly not be the case with marathon runners who might only be at or faster than marathon pace 3 times a week.

They pretty much do.

BennyMul wrote: »
    My problem with the zones idea is that is based on it been linear. the fact is that you are mainly training your ensurancebase, so your easy- tempo may actually be a wider % and the high end which uses fast twitch muscled be a narrower range than someone concentrating on shorter racing.

Zones? what zones? Pace? HR? RPE?
    Because the first few times I tried using a HR monitor it didn't work and now the strap is sitting on top of a bookcase gathering dust :D
    Like yourself, I train on effort.

I think you are missing out. I like having as many metrics as possible as it becomes obvious when gains have been made and also when things are going badly and pacing strategy in a race need to be reassess and indeed in training whether you should just go home and watch Corrie.

HalfTri wrote: »
    I actually don't think your running too fast. As my coach said - your long run pace should be faster than your pace in an Ironman marathon. For me - I would have been running roughly 20 seconds per mile faster.

My old coach used to say similar - that your absolute best pace in an IM run is your average pace of a true long easy run.
    Long runs - don't mean Long Slow Runs.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
    You mentioned that you haven't been doing speed sessions - your training for an ironman.. 1km sessions are your speed sessions.

Recovery Runs - What are they?

Swimming, Long Biking recovers the muscles from the running.

All of the above QFT

That seems about right then. One thing to look at maybe though - if average is 151, I'm presuming like most people your first mile is somewhere in the 130s, 2nd low 140s before you get up to a stable HR. So are you sightly higher than 151 for the bulk of the run, but those early miles bring down the average?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that his coach was anal about not doing this. That a zone should be something that you heart rate should drift into but not exceed and that the pace should not need to taper off to remain in the zone.
    Your 5m race pace was 3:47/km. This would give a lactate turnpoint (1 hour race pace) of somewhere around 3:55-4:00/km, (based on the rule of thumb that you add 10s/km to your pace as the race distance doubles, and also fits in with your lab test figures). That in turn would put your marathon pace at about 4:10-4:15/km. A 3:05 marathon is 4:23/km. So I think the faster end of your easy/aerobic pace is maybe too close to your marathon pace whether you take the 4:10 figure or the 4:23 figure.

Fran went to the lab??
    I'm coming at this as a runner, so perhaps I'm totally off the mark. But it makes me wonder, when I see a lot of IM lads rarely if ever running more slowly than 7:30-8:00/mile, but then they end up running the race at 8:30-9:00 per mile. Is it too simplistic to think that this is because they either a) went too fast and thus used up too much energy on the swim and cycle or b) were not as running fit as they could have been? If it's a case of b) I'm not surprised - if one was always training at 7:30 pace, you wouldn't expect to be able to race well at 6:30 pace. So why would you expect to race well at 8:30 pace? I may be totally wrong, but I'd have thought that some time spent at IM marathon pace would be beneficial?

Its almost always (a)
    Pointless comparing straight long run pace to IM running pace. The only real comparison is RPE. As halftri pointed out you have the bones of 6 hours steady effort put down before you start out on your feet. Ideally you will train at similar condition, so long runs on tired legs. However the recovery cost is too high. I support the notion to do long runs at a faster pace than IM pace to tax the legs a little. Its NOT like regular marathon training. Long runs on an empty stomach is good too to simulate the low glycogen levels of that 6 hour + starting point.

The place for IM marathon paced runs is off a hard or long bike.

I agree that 'recovery runs' is a load of nonsense.

All extremely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

^slow day in the office ?

Great post. There's so much quality in that response. Two absolute stand out points are:

The benefit of the long progressive runs rather than the long slow runs. As a triathlete we don't get to do all the quality run work that pure runners might do and when I started doing LPR's last year rather than trying to squeeze in an extra tempo and a LSR my marathon pace tumbled bringing me from a 4+ hr runner to a 3:30 hopeful (MTB injury dashed this attempt).

Second, if
    Running easy doesn't promote increased fat oxidisation. Oh that it did.
    worked, I'd be a lean mean running machine. Smart diet, smart training, glycogen depletion and inducing ketosis is the best way to burn fat.

Fran, you're an animal for the training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great little thread going on here. Interesting read.

I'd only have one criticism of JB and to be fair, I'll be blunt. No point beating around the bush.

WTF are you doing listening to SHM?

All this fantastic training, support structure, diet, treating the body well, foam rolling etc and then you go ahead and treat your ears like ****! For shame. ;)

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great little thread going on here. Interesting read.

I'd only have one criticism of JB and to be fair, I'll be blunt. No point beating around the bush.

WTF are you doing listening to SHM?

All this fantastic training, support structure, diet, treating the body well, foam rolling etc and then you go ahead and treat your ears like ****! For shame. ;)

Nothing wrong with SHM - Sexy Hobbit Music:)

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'd assume these feelings are down to cumulative fatigue - both physical and mental. Are you starting taper soon?

Yes down to cumulative fatigue averaging out at near 18hrs over the last 5 weeks and a decent level of intensity mixed in. 3 week lead in and trying something different to avoid picking up sickness etc, recovery week, peak week and race week. Trial and error for IM FF later in the year as standard taper rules dont tend to work for me.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Fair play to you Fran. The last few keys sessions are always the hardest and where i sometimes cave in slightly! They really give that icing on the cake though. I'd say you cannot wait for taper!
    Yeah at the stage when it feels like one good session is followed by two sh1t ones, to be expected. Just need to keep the head down and ensure i execute the last few key sessions as best i can. Hopefully you can keep me honest on the Saturday spin if we hook up:) Agree re icing on the cake, just need to open the bloody oven door first:)
    tunney wrote: »
    To be honest his race time......

Very good post.
    ^slow day in the office ?

Great post. There's so much quality in that response. Two absolute stand out points are:

The benefit of the long progressive runs rather than the long slow runs. As a triathlete we don't get to do all the quality run work that pure runners might do and when I started doing LPR's last year rather than trying to squeeze in an extra tempo and a LSR my marathon pace tumbled bringing me from a 4+ hr runner to a 3:30 hopeful (MTB injury dashed this attempt).

Second, if

worked, I'd be a lean mean running machine. Smart diet, smart training, glycogen depletion and inducing ketosis is the best way to burn fat.

Fran, you're an animal for the training.

Re highlighted bit, you were on track until that stupid (easily avoided) MTB fall. I think LPR's are very good marathon preparation for standalone or IM preparation.

I wasn't going to get back into this, but anyway...
    The way I see it, there are a few ways of assessing effort levels and deriving easy pace
    - you can do a lab test and lactate measurements etc etc
    great, accurate, but not easy to organise
    - you can wear a HRM and get to know your zones
    good if you put in the effort (and this thread, plus Larry Brent's other thread, have inspired me to make the effort)
    - you can work it out from race results and time trials
    obviously, the more data points you have here, the better
    - you can go on feel
    easiest to do on a daily basis, good to get the hang of. But there's a calibration problem. You can say "yesterday's run was 'easy', this run feels the same, so this run is also 'easy'"... but maybe yesterday's run was 'steady', and so today's run is also 'steady' and you just don't know what 'easy' is.

Which is why I started by asking why jb's easy runs were at 4.35. And the answer seems to be that it isn't based on lab tests, or HR readings, but on feel. And that feel is contradicted by his most recent race result. (And it was a race result, a time trial is something you do on your own) Maybe it was fatigue from the training camp the week before, maybe it was just a bad day - it is just one data point. But are there any others that would indicate he really is in the kind of shape that dictates a 4.35 easy pace?

I'll get lynced for this but 4:30 IS SLOW for someone putting a serious effort into training, diet and lifestyle its slow.

Well maybe that's the problem. Thinking that if you put in this much work, 4.30 should be easy so you will run at 4.30 and call that 'easy'.

(incidentally, I agree with all the people saying recovery runs are pointless for triathletes, since you have crosstraining instead)

Everyone is focussing on energy stores but another real limiter is the central governor. If thats not trained, and pi$$ing about running easy will not do it, then its just not going to happen on race day.

They don't give out Kona places for killing yourself in training either.

The way I see it, there are a few ways of assessing effort levels and deriving easy pace
    - you can wear a HRM and get to know your zones
    good if you put in the effort (and this thread, plus Larry Brent's other thread, have inspired me to make the effort)
    - you can work it out from race results and time trials
    obviously, the more data points you have here, the better
    - you can go on feel
    easiest to do on a daily basis, good to get the hang of. But there's a calibration problem. You can say "yesterday's run was 'easy', this run feels the same, so this run is also 'easy'"... but maybe yesterday's run was 'steady', and so today's run is also 'steady' and you just don't know what 'easy' is.

Which is why I started by asking why jb's easy runs were at 4.35. And the answer seems to be that it isn't based on lab tests, or HR readings, but on feel. And that feel is contradicted by his most recent race result. (And it was a race result, a time trial is something you do on your own) Maybe it was fatigue from the training camp the week before, maybe it was just a bad day - it is just one data point. But are there any others that would indicate he really is in the kind of shape that dictates a 4.35 easy pace?

Well maybe that's the problem. Thinking that if you put in this much work, 4.30 should be easy so you will run at 4.30 and call that 'easy'.

(incidentally, I agree with all the people saying recovery runs are pointless for triathletes, since you have crosstraining instead)

They don't give out Kona places for killing yourself in training either.

It would not be sensible to look at one data point (Raheny 5) when there is plenty other data points to look at from the time I did use a hrm. Stats that myself and my coach would have seen. Some examples, plenty more to see on here, posts 1919, 1921, 1940, 1976.
    Re last point on Kona I completely disagree. There needs to be some sessions where you really have to suffer a bit, there is a place for these though. Goes back to what I said about IM being more mental than physical preparation if you cannot deal with those tough sessions mentally or physically well then forget about chasing Kona slots as it won't happen on race day. One thing that this conversation has brought about is I will wear a hrm again as a secondary check, although one that does not cut the chest off me.

Just to point out re this ^ there is exceptional value for €60 in the Trinity sports science dept for proper VO2 and lactate testing. Roughly 3 hours of testing, treadmill, bike or rower with a full work up on bloods, haemocrit, ferrutin etc. an outline training program to follow etc.

Real easy to organise, email Bernard Donne, a google search pops his name up. Got it done years ago and am in the process of reorganising a visit.

Update:
    http://healthsciences.tcd.ie/pls/public/staff.detail?p_unit=physiology&p_name=bdonne

It would not be sensible to look at one data point (Raheny 5) when there is plenty other data points to look at from the time I did use a hrm.

If, when I'd asked why you thought that was an easy pace, you'd said "I sometimes wear a HRM and that pace was in the easy zone", the conversation would have been much shorter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just to point out re this ^ there is exceptional value for €60 in the Trinity sports science dept for proper VO2 and lactate testing. Roughly 3 hours of testing, treadmill, bike or rower with a full work up on bloods, haemocrit, ferrutin etc. an outline training program to follow etc.

Real easy to organise, email Bernard Donne, a google search pops his name up. Got it done years ago and am in the process of reorganising a visit.

Update:
    http://healthsciences.tcd.ie/pls/public/staff.detail?p_unit=physiology&p_name=bdonne

Have to be brutally honest, I put little worth on lab tests for the average athlete. Less in the Trinity ones from what I have seen.

VO2Max has little impact anyways and in my experience the way most people (athletes) approach lab testing the results from lactate tests are usually not applicable in the field. Coupled with usually poor interpretation and communication of results I recommend people steer clear.

That being said the blood work side.... I'd recommend and indeed go for full bloods once a year, never mind sport health wise!

My personal opinion

If, when I'd asked why you thought that was an easy pace, you'd said "I sometimes wear a HRM and that pace was in the easy zone", the conversation would have been much shorter :pac:

It was mentioned in a post back to BTH, you must have glossed over it:) Just as well you did otherwise we would have missed out on some quality posts and discussion on the subject.

Have to be brutally honest, I put little worth on lab tests for the average athlete. Less in the Trinity ones from what I have seen.

Dunno, I mean, the VO2 result was backed up by my VO2 measurement on my Polar so its gotta be good! :rolleyes:
    VO2Max has little impact anyways and in my experience the way most people (athletes) approach lab testing the results from lactate tests are usually not applicable in the field. Coupled with usually poor interpretation and communication of results I recommend people steer clear.

That being said the blood work side.... I'd recommend and indeed go for full bloods once a year, never mind sport health wise!

My personal opinion

+1 100% agreed in the main, the Trinity results were explained well to me at the time. I guess its more for the benefit of those who are convinced the VO2 tests doing the rounds of the clubs are a good guide to your fitness and how you should train. A pal was recently excited that he knew his VO2max, until I asked him what he would do with it (Killjoy, I know)

I've personally more value in knowing my actual blood lactate threshold than my VO2 max and knowing my haemocrit levels were relatively high.

I've personally more value in knowing my actual blood lactate threshold than my VO2 max and knowing my haemocrit levels were relatively high.

Does that mean you're going up for 2 tests - bike and run? Personally I'd be a fan of just doing the bike & run tests yourself but each to their own. A set of bloods from your GP should give you everything except the blood lactate threshold and apparently you can do that yourself too with a kit.

BTW, I hope the hobbit is enjoying his birthday. Moving up an AG also.....:D

• Advertisement

BTW, I hope the hobbit is enjoying his birthday. Moving up an AG also.....:D

All downhill from here!!

Thursday PM
    Recovery run
    Just a short easy one to loosen out the legs from the earlier long run.

Friday
    45min recovery turbo
    I was under strict instructions to not be out swimming this morning and to be there when the kids woke up to give me my birthday card & pressies. Opted to get a very handy 45min on the turbo instead. Just finished up before the little ones came calling.
    Upload stats later but from memory around 170/80w.

Swim
    I was unsure how much of this 3.6k set i would get done on an extended lunch but managed 3.3k of it. My arms and body felt heavy beforehand and i was expecting an under par session but it turned out to be ok. Main set had me doing 20x100s which i done at a steady effort and times are consistent enough.
    They called for alternating sw & pb but done blocks of 5 and switched about. Its good to see the time reduce between the two as in the past i would have been 10 secs quicker with pb per 100 so body position is getting there.
    Times on these
    Sw 1-5 - 1:43,1:43,1:38,1:44,1:44
    Pb 6-10 - 1:43,1:44,1:44,1:43,1:45
    Sw 11-15 - 1:47,1:47,1:47,1:47,1:43
    Pb 16-20 - 1:45,1:45,1:45,1:47,1:47
    Swim seems to have steadied out now at a constant mid 1:40 pace and the overall session had an avg moving pace of 1.46. Hopefully there is another jump in swim improvements soon enough. If i could swim and be out on the bike just under the hour mark in Abu Dhabi i would be happy.
    1:13,3,300mtrs

Now officially a 35-39er and feeling every year of those 35 although looking forward to some cake later. Away tomorrow for a night away with the taller half. Of course i am cycling up and back:)

Does that mean you're going up for 2 tests - bike and run? Personally I'd be a fan of just doing the bike & run tests yourself but each to their own. A set of bloods from your GP should give you everything except the blood lactate threshold and apparently you can do that yourself too with a kit.

Nah, I'm still trying to find time to think about heading up. I'd do the cycle this time to see if there's a wattage difference. Mr. G is heading up on his todd as its a 3hr consultation, not ideal for a squad to go to.

I've seen those kits, not the cheapest item in the gear bag, you'd want to be fairly serious / analytical to warrant the investment.

Want one?

All downhill from here!!
    Unfortunately the freewheel is stuck and there's still some pedalling to do!!

Happy birthday, young man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy Birthday JB!! Or should I tell your domestique, Tunney, so he can tell you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Happy birthday big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy birthday hobbit! How about as birthday set of 35*200m in the pool or as RQ would suggest, head out and run your age in kms:). I'm only a few weeks behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Merry Birthday JB,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Happy birthday Fran and best of luck in the new AG, the AG I just left to join the 40+ gang......

Saturday 09th
    4hr bike
    Headed off ahead of Michelle as we had a night away up North for the birthday. Had Bambatta for company for over an hour of the ride to break things up. I was due to do 3x50 efforts but probably only done 1.5hr of work on the ride. Legs just feeling empty although i was still going well towards the end of the ride. This was despite my gear cable snapping leaving me in the 39/11 as my smallest gear for the last hour or so.
    I was due to run off the bike but Michelle was 20mins behind me with my run gear so checked in and into the jacuzzi instead:rolleyes:
    4:01,112.68kms,28kmph,AP187w/NP203w,75rpm

Swim
    Around 1.5k of a mix of drills,100s and 200s. Splashing about in the hotel pool whilst Michelle hit the gym before hitting the pub.
    30mins,1500mtrs

Sunday 10th
    3hr bike & 1hr run
    This was grim and it broke me. I was due to do some efforts but knew not to even attempt it as legs and body is borked. It rained all the way home and i was into a headwind for the lot. I dont think i can ever remember being as cold on the bike and i was soaked to the bone. Pretty certain i had a mild case of hypothermia when i got to the house as my hands and feet had turned blue and i was shivering uncontrollably. It took me an age to get the wet gear off. I was due to do a run straight off the bike but probably was half an hour after getting home before i could face it and had warmed up. The run itself along with this bike was pure junk. Did not even hit 60mins and jumped off the treddie at 53mins when Michelle & the kids got home, i was done for. She said i looked like death personified!!
    Bike: 3:02,82.1kms,26.9kmph,AP170w/NP175w,72rpm
    Run: 53mins,11.6kms,4.34m/km

25mins core and rolling this evening, lots of tight spots. Tired very tired.

Weekly Totals
    04th Feb-10th Feb-Wk6|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms|YTD totals|last yr comparison|Weekly avg
    Total|16|19:14|318.75kms|1964.04kms|1435.1kms|327.34kms
    Swimming|4|4:07|10.8mtrs|56.5kms|37.2kms|9.4kms
    Cycling|4|8:54|255.17kms|1576.14kms|1040.35|262.69kms
    Running|5|4:08|52.78kms|331.4kms|357.55kms|55.23kms
    Strenth/Core|3|2:05|N/A|5.20|2.10|53mins
    TSS|N/A|1077.9|N/A|6340||1056

Well not how i wanted this week to go. Only 1 session stood out as a good one and that was the turbo at the start of the week. Running has felt very poor this week which is likely down to the cumilative fatigue of these last few busy weeks. I have never been as tired from training, taking things handy tomorrow and then look at how the last 3 weeks will pan out before Abu Dhabi. Only 20 days to go until race day and confidence took a slight knock this week. Recovery and rest are two priorities for me next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

35-39 isn't that bad. Neither is the next category up ;)
    Sunday sounded painful. 10/10 though birthday boy.

Advertisement