Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite books from your childhood/teen years

Options
  • 04-08-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Recently had a good look at the books on my lil bro's (age 12) bookshelves and spotted his Roal Dahl collection. It reminded me of how much I lovd to read as a child (still do tbh!).

What were your favourite books as a child.

As a very little girl I loved the Peter Rabbit stories. I also had this book called Country Tales which had stories about the various animals you find in the country. One of my favs was about a family of Moorhens. Also loved Shirly Hughes Alfie and Annie Rose stories and My Naughtly Little Sister.

I read anything by Dahl, my favourites being Danny, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and The Witches.

Also loved The Famous Five and The Naughtiest School Girl by Enid Blyton.

As I got older I liked Point Horror, Goosebumps and (cringe!) The Babysitter's Club.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 King Henry

Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree - magical.. Actually anything by Enid Blyton, Mallory Towers, Secret 7, Five Find Outers..

Also The Borrowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Niche market

The first book i remember reading was that "very hungry catepillar" book, was probably my favourite too :D:D

caterpillar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I loved Roald Dahl books too, read nearly all of them-my mam actually bought the set there recently so i'm gonna read them again!

I also loved Under The Hawthorn Tree. Saw it in a bookshop a while back and bought it, as it was given away when i was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Roald Dahl's books, particularly Matilda,
    The Harry Potter books,
    Noel Streatfield's shoe series of books,
    Enid Blyton, especially Mallory Towers,
    The Worst Witch series,
    there were many more, but these are the ones that stand out in my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tarka the Otter
    Watership Down
    Jock of the Bushveldt

Anything with animals, tbh. One of my favourite books as a child was actually an encyclopedia of animals; I read it until it fell apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

A Little Princess. I loved that book so much. Found it recently and it's in the pile to be read again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

kylith wrote: »
    Tarka the Otter
    Watership Down
    Jock of the Bushveldt

Anything with animals, tbh. One of my favourite books as a child was actually an encyclopedia of animals; I read it until it fell apart.

Me too, if it had an animal on the cover I'd jump on it. I found a copy of Animal Farm when I was eight, think I may have missed the sub-text :P I was in tears by the end of it though.

I remember really liking Terry Pratchett's kids books as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Brian Jacques' Redwall series kept me reading consistently throughout my early teens. I also loved the Narnia series, His Dark Materials, and of course, Goosebumps. Oh and The Twits was my childhood favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Nancy Drew//////////////

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Roald Dahl was a firm favourite of mine, and i would still read any of his books for my own entertainment even now! Enid Blyton was always present in our house, but i never really favoured her. As a young teen i was given a copy of the dark is Rising trilogy and i loved it, still have it in fact, altough its pretty worn by now!.
    I have to say though, Robin Jarvis was one of my favourite writers, The Deptford Mice series and The Whitby Witches are fantastic books!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Like most of the previous posters I loved Roald Dahl.

Famous 5, Adventure Series etc by Enid Blyton. Fimly believe the lady is responsible for turning me into the sexist, racist, rabidly right-wing firebrand I am today.

Tom McCaughren used to write a series on foxes - Run to the Wild etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

As a child, it would have to be the Roald Dahl books. In particular Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

As a teen, Angela's Ashes had an impact on me. yes I saw the film first, but I've always like McCourt's style. His sequel wasn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Growing up I read a lot of adventure books, Famous 5, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Secret 7, etc but the first book that left an impression on me was I am David by Anne Holm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Used to love the "Adventure Series", by Willard Price. Smashing stuff!

Read all Enid Blyton's stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Joan Fontaine

I was a massive fan of Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton. Read all the usual teen lit like Sweet Valley High, and The Babysitters Club (cringe!).

When I got to about 12 I moved onto Virginia Andrews - think I got most of my sex education from them! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Used to love any book involving animals and of those my favourite was 'Thunderhead' the follow-up to 'My Friend Flicka' about Flicka's white foal who grew up to be a magnificent stallion.

Read it from cover to cover and immediately went out and got 'My Friend Flicka' and the third in the trilogy (the name of which I've forgotten).

A year or so later, in first year we had to swap a book each week with another classmate and my favourite was about a wild white mustang stallion, but I've never been able to remember the name of it. Loved every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Paul Jennings, really loved those books when I was young. Brilliant covers too and the stories were always odd and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

I loved the Jill's Gymkhana series by Ruby Ferguson. In the last couple of years I've started collecting them again and they are just as good this time round. Abe Books is brilliant for getting the old editions with the original illustrations. Also liked the Three Jays books by Pat Smythe...must start on those again. Anne of Green Gables excellent too, cried myself into a headache when Walter got killed in the trenches... Oh - and speaking of which, what about A Vicarage Family by Noel Streatfeild? Finally, what about the Pamela Browne books, The Swish of the Curtain etc.....
    Sigh, they just don't come as good nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Joan Fontaine

I also used to love The Chalet School books and all the descriptions of lacrosse, elevenses and snow - :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I used to love the Jacqueline Wilson books; Bad Girls, The Bed and Breakfast Star, Double Act, The Lottie Project, The Illustrated Mum (that one left me bawling :o), The Story of Tracy Beaker, etc.

Then, of course, Roald Dahl; The BFG, Esio Trot, the Twits, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches, MATILDA, George's Marvellous Medicine.

I also loved this book, "The Raging Quiet", by Sherryl Jordan. It's a story about a 16 year old girl who marries an older man to help her poor family stay financially secure.
    She then goes on to meet a boy her age, who is seen by everyone in the village as a mad-man, but she discovers that he is
    deaf. She then develops a sign language with him, and soon becomes an outcast and threat to the rest of the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

YES! Forgot to mention the Chalet School! But they haven't dated well on re-reading, fiddlesticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Me too, if it had an animal on the cover I'd jump on it. I found a copy of Animal Farm when I was eight, think I may have missed the sub-text :P I was in tears by the end of it though.

I remember really liking Terry Pratchett's kids books as well.
    Jebus, are you me?! I cried my heart out at Animal Farm, much more heartbreaking than the film. I always seemed to read books that were too old for me, which would probably explain a lot.

Pratchett's kid's books do stand up very well, as does just about everything he writes.

Loved Lewis Carroll's other books Sylvie and Bruno too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I loved all the Roald Dahl books. Also Enid Blyton, my favs were the Magic Wishing Chair and the Faraway Tree.

One book which left a lasting impression on me was called Marianne Dreams. Seriously creepy book, at least it was when I was 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

jester77 wrote: »
    Growing up I read a lot of adventure books, Famous 5, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Secret 7, etc but the first book that left an impression on me was I am David by Anne Holm

Woot! Someone mentioned the Hardy Boys! I was a huge fan of these as a kid and still collect them, but mention them to most Irish people and you get a blank look.

Aside from the Hardy Boys, I loved Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton, especially Mallory Towers, The Famous Five (ginger beer anyone? :D) and the ones that always used to be titled the secret something (The Secret Island is one I remember, I loved that book). Also loved the Brer Rabbit books and a couple of randomely titled books; dragonsbane by Patricia C. Wrede (a pont fantasy and still a really witty book today) and a book called the silver teaset written by an Irish author whose name I can't think of (that was a great book, about a pair of elderly burglers who steal a silver teaset and die while burying it in the garden. They come back as ghosts to make amends but noone knows where the teaset is).

Talk about your nostalgia factor; mentioning these books makes me want to read them again for old times sakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

When I was very young I read all the Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton books. (I can still recite most of "Crocky-Woc the Crocodile" :o). I moved on to Tom McCaughren's books about foxes, and the Narnia series, followed by the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. God, that supply was never-ending! There must have been about 50 books written! I didn't get into the classics though till I was in my 20s.

When I was 10 my teacher suggested I should read Carrie's War by Nina Bawden, and I loved it. I felt much more grown-up reading it :cool: Probably the start of reading more books with serious themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

For me, the Darkis Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper is a big favourite. Particularly the second book:The Dark is Rising. I so wanted to be Will Stanton!

The Doctor Who books of the series usually written by Terrance Dicks were fun too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I can't believe I forgot Marita Conlon-McKenna's Famine trilogy as I call them ie; Under the Hawthorn Tree, Wildflower Girl and Fields of Home.

Also loved the Railway Children and when I was quite young J.M.Barrie's Peter Pan.

I read a number of really good books in secondary school, favourites include To Kill a Mocking Bird, Felicia's Journey and Rebecca.

I also discovered crime novels in my early teens with the East End Murders series. I then moved on to A Touch of Frost and have been addicted to crime books ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh I also forgot Joan Lingard's "Kevin & Sadie" books about a catholic and protestant couple in Belfast. I re-read those so many times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Malari wrote: »
    Oh I also forgot Joan Lingard's "Kevin & Sadie" books about a catholic and protestant couple in Belfast. I re-read those so many times :D

Oh I used to love those esp Across the Barricade!

I just remembered that I used to read (cringe!) Sweet Valley High and The Babysitter's Club Little Sister (cringe!).

And I loved The Little House on the Prairie books - re-read those ones many times....I'd prob pick them up again if I still had them lol.

Blyton and Dahl are doing really well.....I wonder why they're so popular?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

From school, I think my favourites were Lord of the Flies and 1984. Books I still enjoy reading now.
    jester77 wrote:

Yeah, I think I read all of the Hardy boys as well as a lot of the "Three Investigators" books. Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and the "Just William" books from Richmal Crompton all featured too.

Advertisement