Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords League - 04/08/10 - Corduff Circuit

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    A few of us based in Skerries Balbriggan do stuff on Tues/Thurs evenings. PM me for details

On no another thread on intervals in the winter is coming :eek:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    On no another thread on intervals in the winter is coming :eek:
    ... probably explains why the likes of shaungil, staro and me are shagged out and you are now hitting peak form to get placed in races...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks Rob. Do you guys continue cycling into autumn/winter officially?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Elessar wrote: »
    Spin from blakes cross at half 8 on a saturday all through the winter. few other spins too. maybe check out the swords cc website

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

I was in group 2 for this race, and overall I thought it was one of the best collective efforts the group has put in all season. Everyone put in their turn, all the way from the start and up the old N1 everyone doing their turn. What was good as well, is that we managed to refrain from "headless chicken" attacking each other the first time up the hill - in my view your much better off keeping the group going up that and riding tempo, and what it meant was that we could get back to working well again, which we duly did, from the corner at the Nags head and all the way out to the N1 again, halfway up the N1 was where we were caught by group 3.

What I think is important in group riding, is you've to remember to use [and help] the group to its and your advantage - unless you're as strong as a horse and can do a 30mile time trial faster than you think the whole group can do it [highly unlikely, or else you'd be in a harder group anyway] its to your benefit to contribute to the group, and keep the up and overs smooth. The point of keeping the up and overs smooth [without mad bursts up to the front, or leaving big gaps behind you] is that there will be others in the group who won't be as strong as you, but as long as they feel they're not getting gapped or having to make up loads of effort because you burst up through, then those will keep contributing. But once it gets messy, with lads jumping off the front, or leaving big gaps [last week being a case in point] the others who can't do that will be worried about getting dropped, and will conserve their strength, and stop doing the up and overs, and the whole thing just breaks down, which is to no one's advantage.

I think a point as well is, if you've kept the group together, and you're still feeling strong [and you may well be feeling strong 'cos you've used your head and kept some energy by using the group wisely] then you've to decide where you're cutoff point is if you want to go for the line yourself - so do you think you can beat the group as a collective, from 5miles out, 4miles, 3miles???? or if you've a good sprint, do you just want to keep the group together so you can use your sprint to your advantage?

Anyways, we got caught by grp 3 halfway up the old N1, and halfway up that effin hill someone put in a fairly strong dig and I got detatched - I could see English Bob up ahead as we went over the top and around the Nag's head corner, took a look over my shoulder and could see Scratch coming down the hill like a train, so managed to hop on board - we were flying here, about 40mph, managed to hang on with scratch thru the village, then a mile or so after the turn in the village where there's that little hill there was an attack off the front and a big surge in speed, and managed to hang on there [I think a few got caught by that there and some were dropped] and then there was a good speed into the finish, and finished with the bunch, so I'm bloody delighted with that on that course, being able to finish with the sctratch bunch, and the whole night overall was a great workout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

More details incl. phone contacts at www.swordsscc.com under "club training spins"
    Club Training Spins:Meeting Point: The Lord Mayors, Main St, Swords.
    Saturdays Leisure Group
    09.15 from Lord Mayors 30-50 miles , AVS 14mph/22kph, Coffee Stop
    All year round (once it's not raining!)
    Saturday 'Half Eight' group
    As the name suggests......... departs at half eight (sharp) from Blakes Cross taking a brisk run around around the coast coming back via the Naul and over the Three Sisters
    under the guidance of Pat Halligan.
    All year round
    Course on 'Map my Ride'
    Sundays 'Racers' Training Spin(Departs @ 09:00 Sharp!!!) Home by 1pm
    Recommences Sunday 30th December - every Sunday up to racing season
    Sunday Touring Group
    Easier spin on Sundays at Meet at 09.00. Lord Mayors, 50mls/80km approx, The average speed is 25/26kph with a Tea Stop
    Sunday Beginners Group (Time changed March 2009)
    Sundays at Meet at 10am Lord Mayors,
    Very relaxed pace, designed for those new to the sport.
    Tea Stop
    Sundays Balrothery Inn Group
    Currently departs 10am from Balrothery Inn, (*Note time change)
    Stamullen -Ardcath - Garristown ( 2 hours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Homme Enigmatique

:D Another good tough race which gives everybody a good workout anyway. Very windy last night too. The main road was very hard in places with the wind as was the climb. Another good win by Dave. Obviously very strong. New to the sport over the last year. Can & should go further. Can see him in at least Group 3 some time next year in the club league & possibly Group 4 if he keeps up the progress and rides open races. With the league going so well overall it will probably be a case of withdrawl syndrome for a few weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

RobFowl wrote: »
    More details incl. phone contacts at www.swordsscc.com under "club training spins"
    Club Training Spins:Meeting Point: The Lord Mayors, Main St, Swords.
    Saturdays Leisure Group
    09.15 from Lord Mayors 30-50 miles , AVS 14mph/22kph, Coffee Stop
    All year round (once it's not raining!)
    Saturday 'Half Eight' group
    As the name suggests......... departs at half eight (sharp) from Blakes Cross taking a brisk run around around the coast coming back via the Naul and over the Three Sisters
    under the guidance of Pat Halligan.
    All year round
    Course on 'Map my Ride'
    Sundays 'Racers' Training Spin(Departs @ 09:00 Sharp!!!) Home by 1pm
    Recommences Sunday 30th December - every Sunday up to racing season
    Sunday Touring Group
    Easier spin on Sundays at Meet at 09.00. Lord Mayors, 50mls/80km approx, The average speed is 25/26kph with a Tea Stop
    Sunday Beginners Group (Time changed March 2009)
    Sundays at Meet at 10am Lord Mayors,
    Very relaxed pace, designed for those new to the sport.
    Tea Stop
    Sundays Balrothery Inn Group
    Currently departs 10am from Balrothery Inn, (*Note time change)
    Stamullen -Ardcath - Garristown ( 2 hours)

Are any of these races? I'm with the order of malta and often crew the ambulance for Swords CC, but I don't believe we are often called out outside the summer schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Are any of these races? I'm with the order of malta and often crew the ambulance for Swords CC, but I don't believe we are often called out outside the summer schedule.

Thanks so much for following us night after night*. You guys make us feel safer just by being there. It's an extraordinary service you provide.

Visit www.swordscc.com and click on Club League. The above is the weekend spins & training spins.

*I speak for others I've been to feck all races this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

:D Another good tough race which gives everybody a good workout anyway. Very windy last night too. The main road was very hard in places with the wind as was the climb. Another good win by Dave. Obviously very strong. New to the sport over the last year. Can & should go further. Can see him in at least Group 3 some time next year in the club league & possibly Group 4 if he keeps up the progress and rides open races. With the league going so well overall it will probably be a case of withdrawl syndrome for a few weeks after.

Cheers mate! Do I know ya? I should employ you as a motivational coach ha ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Very enjoyable race again last Wednesday although a bit short. Started in group 2 for my sin of victory the week before but was happy enough with that.
    The pace was fast from the start with everyone taking their turn. I think that is the biggest difference with group 1 in that the organisation is a bit better where as in group 1 the ability is from strong to novice and this affects the ability of the group to work effectively.
    First lap around and all was well, steady on the climb and good turns at the front. On the second lap we were caught by group 3 on the main road. I think most stayed with the combined groups until half way up the climb then one of group 3 drove it up the hill and split the groups again. I managed to stay with the lead group but missed a couple of turns between the top of the Nags Head and the finish (Just a couple). Fast run in to the finish and almost caught group 1.

Maybe next week..................

Velo Bro!

Advertisement