Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2 Delayed until 2011

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

I knew it was going to happen,i've a feeling L.A. Noire is next to be confirmed for a delay.I Read it on Vg247.com (don't know how to post a link).I wish it came out this year cause Christmas is looking more & more bare unless you own both PS3 & a Xbox 360. 2011 will be class you have this,Gears 3,Dead Space 2,Deus Ex, Bulletstorm,Rage & Arkham Asylum 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

from what I read a few days ago they are planning to launch CryEngine 3 in conjunction with the next generation of consoles which according to Crytek, are expected to roll out in 2011/12 but frankly I don't see that happening; who's even heard of the PS3/360 Predecessors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Overheal wrote: »
    who's even heard of the PS3/360 Predecessors?

I think plenty of people have heard of the PS2 and the Xbox. :pac:

Er, the other thing. The forward thing. Word? Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Er, the other thing. The forward thing. Word? Word.

Successor.

Or just say the one what comes after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

i keep hearing the rumors but will it ever come out on the x box 360 or playstation 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Rumour has it, they're adding dinosaurs to the game, and altering the title, slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cryasourous

the exoskeletons could be piloted by dinosoars...

attachment.php?attachmentid=122819&stc=1&d=1281011087

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I saw it running on a 360 at the EA Showcase, they're definitely releasing it on this gen of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No big surprise really, it's just a repeat of last year with some of the bigger titles moving into Q1 of next year in order to miss the pre-holiday rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »
    No big surprise really, it's just a repeat of last year with some of the bigger titles moving into Q1 of next year in order to miss the pre-holiday rush.

Last year they had MW2 to avoid though. What's out this year?

Otacon wrote: »
    Last year they had MW2 to avoid though. What's out this year?
    Black Ops? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »

Ah yes, by that other crowd. :pac:

I saw a tweet from PSM3 magazine that said Crysis 2 was delayed until Q4 2011? Are we sure its Q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well they are advertising it for current gen consoles
    and the graphics looks current
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtn-01R-6M&feature=related

i really can't see them releasing a new console any time soon as consoles can play anything that high end pc graphics cards can at the moment and until they start upping the ante for pc games it's going to stay that way for awhile
    People are finding less and less reasons to build new gaming machines as they are still based around console quality
    i have a 4 year old pc with a 2 year old gfx card and can take anything thrown at it on good settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Skerries wrote: »
    well they are advertising it for current gen consoles
    and the graphics looks current
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtn-01R-6M&feature=related

i really can't see them releasing a new console any time soon as consoles can play anything that high end pc graphics cards can at the moment and until they start upping the ante for pc games it's going to stay that way for awhile
    People are finding less and less reasons to build new gaming machines as they are still based around console quality
    i have a 4 year old pc with a 2 year old gfx card and can take anything thrown at it on good settings
    Can play a dumbed down version of it alright but consoles are a good bit behind what current cards can do, but yeah consoles are really holding advancement in computer graphics in games to random because thats the main source of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

the exoskeletons could be piloted by dinosoars...

That would be pretty irresponsible!

Captain: "What you say, ensign?"
    Ensign: "Sir! I'm afraid it's the dinosaurs from the Cognition Amplification Kombat Exoskeleton trials; there's been... complications, since employing rage virus protein extracts to bolster effectiveness of the cognitive link fluid!"
    Captain: "I don't recall there being wiggle room for "complications" - it would either be super-awesome, or we'd have a Crysis on our hands!"
    Ensign: "..."
    Captain: "Christ! A Crysis, featuring Dinos; get Regina down here!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think the thing about Crysis 2 is that it's cashing in on a franchise and will spark a bit of cross platform interest. For the PC gamers, Crysis was and still is a benchmark in pushing the envelope of what a computer can do. As a result, it's gained a special place in the minds of gamers. The game itself wasn't bad, but was, I think it's fair to say, just a useful way of showing off the game engine.

I would agree that consoles have had a drastic and somewhat detrimental effect on gaming as a whole, but it's not all bad. More people play games now because of them. However, as with all things, when you try to appeal to a wider audience, you have to make allowances for more "mainstream" tastes.

So I think Crysis 2 will probably be a decent game, but I don't see it pushing any envelopes in the way the first did. They did say there'll be the ability to turn things up to 11 on the PC, but ultimately that's not going to add anything to a game that's been designed with the limitations of a console in mind. Shinier graphics do not a good game make.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Otacon wrote: »
    Ah yes, by that other crowd. :pac:

I saw a tweet from PSM3 magazine that said Crysis 2 was delayed until Q4 2011? Are we sure its Q1?

The Q4 thing looks to be a mistake on one site that in this age of quality internet journalism has been copypasta'd around the globe.

Kharn wrote: »
    I think the thing about Crysis 2 is that it's cashing in on a franchise and will spark a bit of cross platform interest. For the PC gamers, Crysis was and still is a benchmark in pushing the envelope of what a computer can do. As a result, it's gained a special place in the minds of gamers. The game itself wasn't bad, but was, I think it's fair to say, just a useful way of showing off the game engine.
    I'd disagree on the cashing in comment with regards Crysis 2 to be honest. Not only did the original not sell spectacularly well, but the sequel has necessitated some pretty extensive work to their engine, not exactly the hallmarks of a cash-in title.

From Crytek's point of view, they've applied their talents to a console version while also not forsaking the PC version. I think we're almost guaranteed another fantastic looking PC game which will push our machines even further than the original but also a console game which will not only look stunning but also provide the developer with some much needed revenue with which to push further boundaries in the future.
    Kharn wrote: »
    So I think Crysis 2 will probably be a decent game, but I don't see it pushing any envelopes in the way the first did. They did say there'll be the ability to turn things up to 11 on the PC, but ultimately that's not going to add anything to a game that's been designed with the limitations of a console in mind. Shinier graphics do not a good game make.
    I'm somewhat confused by this paragraph, what boundaries do you want the game to push? One doesn't need the additional power of the PC to push narrative or other non-aesthetic related game design boundaries. If anything, given the "limited" power of consoles, we've seen far more advances in the last couple of years on those particular platforms than we did on the PC. Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus for example? Or the likes of Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain on the new consoles?

In the case of Crysis 2, I'm actually more interested in seeing what they can do in the closer confines of a cityscape with a more focused story than they can in a more open-world jungle setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Consoleitis is only really a problem when it leads to poor controls, checkpoint saving, stupidly easy or other gameplay related restrictions.......nearly always does

• Advertisement

While I have no problem with checkpoint saving as long as it's done properly, the rest is true.

Case in point, my own personal bugbear...

boxshot_uk_large.jpg

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is there any chance they're delaying it to remake Crysis 1 for Xbox 360 & PS3.I know its unlikely they'd delay it just for that but they might be doing it so they could bundle them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Release date was announced - March 22nd, 2011 in North America and March 25th, 2011 in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's all part of optimising for the consoles. Whatever about the PC, look at the monsters you were expected to have when Crysis 1 came out on it?

We won't be seeing successors for the PS3 / Xbox 360 for another while yet, both machines (especially the PS3) haven't even been pushed to their limits yet.

Damn it, though, I was really looking forward to this game.

They can tune it to consoles all they like so long as it still says to itself "Oh look Im on a PC" and melts my card with frames of glory.

And it appears, there will be differences between the console and PC CryEngine3's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That third video is more logos than content. :eek:

I'm just hoping that the console versions will fund future PC versions and that they won't be tempted to the dark side of consoles only.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/be-the-crysis-2/708600

HD Trailer. Date Announced March 22, 2011.

Looks pretty damn good, as a game, not a benchmark tool. This article here gives me hope, and really puts the finger on why this is probably not going to end up like so many FPS offerings of the last year or two:

http://kotaku.com/5713750/crysis-2-is-for-future+soldiers-who-want-to-think

And oh yeah: a good game that someone wants to put on PC? Pinch me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bumpage....multiplayer trailer released. Actually looks pretty damn good (and graphically amazing).
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/invaders-must-crysis-2/709638

I pre-ordered the Nano Edition for the PC the other day, here's hoping it's as good as it looks in that trailer. :o

• Advertisement

I started playing the first one in Delta a couple days ago. About to infiltrate the mine.

Looking forward to this. Except that in Delta difficulty I do NOT want to have to deal with omnipotent Helicopters. OMFG these helicopters.

less excited about multiplayer if its anything like crysis wars. tried that for an hour last night: only found punkester-off servers, and aimbotting sluts. Needs to be much more Cat and Mouse for my liking.

Advertisement