Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ukulele lessons/chat

• 03-08-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

Hey guys,

I saw a forum on here about people meeting up running group lessons, but its about two years old...
    Anyone know if anything like this goes on around the city? I used to go to bongo lessons, surely theres someone teaching Uke too!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I might be interested too. Keep us posted if you find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eamonn60

hi we have not met yet really but a few of us ukers are going to get together soon for a session so will let you know when it is going to happen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Count me in too. My uke is gathering dust and I cant remember the couple of chords I learned last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

Thats great!! Can't wait!! It'd be fun to learn some carols!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Also interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Me too :)

Hi due to the mad weather it has not been possible to arrange a meet but will make a concerted effort to get going with a ukulele group in January maybe the second week let the dust settle a bit after Christmas looking forward to this a lot, happy new year to you all and happy uke year. Would oranmore suit everyone.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oranmore wouldn't be great for me if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't drive, probably couldn't make Oranmore, sorry :(

Can't do Oranmore. Would the City Centre not be the "logical" place to have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

interested aswel...live in westside so anywhere around the city centre would suit

Hi I have no problem with Galway, could anyone suggest a room or space somewhere we could use, probably somewhere central because some people who have expressed an interest live in Clare, Athenry, etc

Logical for who the guys living in Clare ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Guys, if anyone's interested, I live in the city. I can do lifts and bring some of ye out. Keep in touch for the lift if yer really keen!!

eamonn60 wrote: »
    Logical for who the guys living in Clare ????????

Logical for the people posting on the thread in the Galway City forum where the OP has specified 'the city' in the original post and where said people have not specified that they were at an alternative location?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

I'm a beginner guitar player (about 18 months) and as I have it on good authority that Santa is bringing my daughter a ukulele for christmas I'd definitely be interested in meeting up for playing:) Will check back here in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clairegreenie

This all very intriguing...am keen.would be coming down from clifden so could give lifts from that neck of woods

Anyone any suggestions yet for a venue in town for a January meet, back room of pub, hotel, community space

• What level would the ukulele lessons be? I have always had an interest in learning how to play and I have no experience whatsoever with guitars so I would be a total beginner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

^^I'm a total beginner on the ukelele

O' Connell or Garveys on Eyre Square are both pretty good for back room/space and both seem happy enough to accommodate musicians.:)

hi the ukulele group is just a group of people who will get together and have some fun. there is no teacher or leader , the idea is we can get together and share our experience and ideas. hopefully we can start with some two or three chord songs and build on that. Will try to contact suggested venues and see if they can accommodate us in the new year, hopefully we can all leave our egos at home and just enjoy playing this great little instrument and cater for all levels.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've had thoughts about starting a thread suggesting venues to hire/borrow for classes, get-toghethers etc (it comes up pretty often). Not enuff time to do it now ... hopefully will get to in in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

May need these and guitar lessons...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Anyone doing Guitar lessons in around Gort or surrounding areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clairegreenie

Any more progress on when/where first Galway ukulele meet planned?if other venues don't work out the Aras could be an option?I can get quotes from them if you'd like,though there would need to be an Irish element to the whole thing then

hi thanks for that, i do not speak any Irish but maybe we could learn some songs in Irish if someone was willing to help with that, am enquiring about a couple of venues in Mervue but any alternate ideas would be greatly appreciated and as at the moment we have no idea of numbers cost is important in case it has to be divided between a few people, can we make contact again early next week when we have idea of costs availability, etc regards, eamonn

eamonn60 wrote: »
    i do not speak any Irish

Shame on you - but it's not really a requisite for being in the Aras. Or you could just keep your mouth shut :p

for someone with 510 posts it is a bit rich to tell someone to keep their mouths shut

• Advertisement

My post was obviously in jest, but yours was quite possibly the worst comeback I've ever seen on an internet forum...

Advertisement