Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, lets put this to bed once and for all!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What exactly has been put to bed? :confused:
    My interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

bonerm wrote: »
    Where did you go out of interest?

I ask because I've found that UK and US ex-pats think about Ireland fondly whereas in places like Australia and continental Europe for example there's more of a bitterness towards the old country from the expats. Again, personal experience there.

Well the trains run on time in Germany. As an ex-pat myself I tend to like both the UK, and Ireland. I came for love. I stayed for a job. I may go back, dunno. Both countries have their problems.I wouldn't wish to live in London, although I sometimes visit it. Dublin would be better. The nice small middle class English city I have found myself in is better than Dublin. What I dont like about the UK and England is the bank holiday rush. Jesus wept, I am never trying to go to Cornwall again on a bank holiday. Never! The crowding in the South East is tremendous, remarkable that the system works so well in fact, but even the uncrowded South West has millions of people. But on a sunny summer day getting to the beach is a killer. But I know beaches in Cork which are empty mid-August. Impossible here.

I visit Germany quite a bit, nice but lacks a bit of humanity. The US? Friendly but over-competitive and California is a basket case.

See, its all relative.

Anyway, I dont love Ireland, nor do I hate it. It is a pretty good place, though, compared to most of the rest of the world. Same with the UK. The "haters" are possibly the flip side of the lovers. Bitter emigrants tend to appear in recessions because they have to leave. Those of us who left in the boom seem quite happy. Yet if you are bitter because you have to leave then maybe you like the place you left more than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

In any case unless you go to Australia, the modern emigrant is not going to be the old style come home at christmas emigrant. I can arrange a pint in Dublin from the UK on Friday because I get in at 9pm, so I can go drinking at 10, or before. Using the magic of the internet my friends are on IM, facebook etc. I read these boards most days. Not really escaping.

So modern immigration is not the wrenching disappearing act it used to be. No need to huddle together in areas where they sell the Irish Press. I am closer to Dublin, than Dublin is to to Donegal. Thats a hard trip, not possible most weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I love Ireland, I love Dublin (I'm not from Dublin originally) and I love the people of this country.

All the begrudgers can fook off, our little country is great, what other country in the world has Tayto Cheese n' Onion and Club Rock Shandy :D

1-0 to the Paddies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

kfallon wrote: »
    I love Ireland, I love Dublin (I'm not from Dublin originally) and I love the people of this country.

All the begrudgers can fook off, our little country is great, what other country in the world has Tayto Cheese n' Onion and Club Rock Shandy :D

1-0 to the Paddies!!!

Your country is what you make it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

caseyann wrote: »
    Your country is what you make it :cool:

Amen to that sister

*high five*

Scrap that, *big tens*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Finest.

Born in the UK, raised in Ireland. Spent time going between both places.
    Youngest in the family.
    Seeing both Uk & Ireland, I can see what we're missing out on and what they have in comparison.
    I'm not happy here - TDs can swindle the taxpayer and swan around like aristocracy while any other normal Joe would get 10 years in prison for what they're doing.
    Health service, mental & physical is sh*te - experience.
    Massive drink culture - no wonder so many underagers drink here, there is nothing else to do in the evenings for them, & the culture is strong.
    Just the whole mental attitude of the place here.

I love my family and friends to bits, I'm in a great Uni course, I have a fantastic boyfriend & great work exp so I can't complain, but I'm just not completely happy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

wow, there was some serious answers (20% serious aint bad for AH :D )
    interesting..

Advertisement