Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Branded Desire, Can I get 2.2?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a O2 branded Desire and I want to get Froyo now!

What are my options for this? I have the phone rooted (with unrevoked).

I know I can install a custom Rom, but will everything work on the custom ROM? And which is the best one?

Can I install an unbranded version of 2.1 and then get the official update to 2.2? If I can do this what Rom should I install?

Thanks in advance for you help.
    Nedd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I would also like to know about this. Haven't got my Desire rooted...yet, but I would like to know the process/options before I do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The good thing about going the custom rom route, is if you find it buggy, you can quite simply grab a different one and apply that instead. Just remember to make a Nandroid backup before you begin.

If you're going to go to the trouble of applying a non-branded image anyway, why not just skip the step and go straight for a Froyo rom? You can always go backwards, and either restore your backup, or apply the non-branded 2.1 afterwards, if you so desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yes it is possible.

There are loads of how to guides out there for both debranding and installing stock or non stock roms.
    It depends on your starting point with the phone: locked or unlocked branded or unbranded.

Basically here is what I did:
    nereid wrote: »
    no, you lose root.

I had no interest in root or custom roms but hated the branding/delay updates so what I did was:
    • 1 click root via unrevoked3 - gets root.
    • 1.21 WWE release - failed on error 131
    • made gold card on spare SD card
    • 1.21 WWE release - installed and completely debranded phone
    • replaced stock memory card.
    • check for updates
    • install froyo - fail - no sim card found, no wifi
    • 1.21 WWE release - failed on error 131
    • replaced goldcard for stock memory card
    • 1.21 WWE release - installed
    • check for updates
    • install froyo - worked.
    • replaced stock memory card.
    Panicked a bit at the no sim found error @13:30 yesterday, but saw someone on XDA posted the exact same thing. Once I got back to stock 1.21 I knew there'd be a fix (use the goldcard again).
    I do need to figure out if I have to keep that particular goldcard or if I can make a new one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I just rooted and installed modacos froyo. Couldnt be arsed debranding or waiting for o2 to release froyo in 2014. Just go to xda forums and read a few of the threads there and you will be installing froyo in no time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i just went with this solution - and it worked perfectly
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741775

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i just went with this solution - and it worked perfectly
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741775

I went for this aswell and I have to say it is brilliant. Rooting is the best thing I've ever done. The speed of the phone now has completely gotten rid of any possible regrets of switching from an iPhone.

Now getting paid apps aswell and just installed Rom manager which is excellent. Also now have the phone waking with the trackball button. This phone really is unbelievable. I've had it since May and it keeps getting better and better. Froyo rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

OI wrote: »
    I went for this aswell and I have to say it is brilliant. Rooting is the best thing I've ever done. The speed of the phone now has completely gotten rid of any possible regrets of switching from an iPhone.

Now getting paid apps aswell and just installed Rom manager which is excellent. Also now have the phone waking with the trackball button. This phone really is unbelievable. I've had it since May and it keeps getting better and better. Froyo rocks.
    What does RomManager do for ya? Anything special?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

What does RomManager do for ya? Anything special?

It provides a settings like interface to download new roms, flash them, partition the SD card, switch between roms, all without having to go near the recovery console. It's cool, only for rooted phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

OI wrote: »

Hey,

Thanks everyone for their updates on this for me. I finally used the above method and have Froyo now. Have moved some apps to SD, have set up 720p recording. Nice!

How did you get the phone to wake with the trackball?

Advertisement