Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Bars

Options
  • 03-08-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey guys,

I'm starting a high-protein and low-to-medium carb diet combined with some weight training to lose some body fat and gain lean muscle mass. I find it quite easy because I love fish, cheese, eggs etc. but I need something as a snack when I'm running to work and haven't got time to prepare food. Anyone know any good brands of protein bar?

I'd be looking for something that is high in protein fibre and low in sugars. Any advice would be a massive help!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hey guys,

I'm starting a high-protein and low-to-medium carb diet combined with some weight training to lose some body fat and gain lean muscle mass. I find it quite easy because I love fish, cheese, eggs etc. but I need something as a snack when I'm running to work and haven't got time to prepare food. Anyone know any good brands of protein bar?

I'd be looking for something that is high in protein fibre and low in sugars. Any advice would be a massive help!

Cheers!

Hi There

Most protein bars are full of sugars and junk binding agents etc, so although you get protein you usually get an equal amount of carbs and/or fats.

It only takes seconds to mix a shake or open and eat a tin of tuna. And honestly if you are serious about dropping body fat and are taht stuck for time, then get up half an hour earlier so that you have the time to prepare a breakfast. Or prepare it the night before and have time to eat it.

It's simply about organistaion.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

You could also try to make your own protein bars. There are tons of recipes online using whey. Usually homemade protein bars consist of whey, peanut butter, honey, oats, nuts, raisins etc.

They're not difficult to make and you can make a whole tray to last you the week so it saves on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

VonLuck wrote: »
    You could also try to make your own protein bars. There are tons of recipes online using whey. Usually homemade protein bars consist of whey, peanut butter, honey, oats, nuts, raisins etc.

They're not difficult to make and you can make a whole tray to last you the week so it saves on time.

Hi There

Even with homemade, for someone who wants to try a high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet, protein bars are not really an option IMHO.

Look at the ingredients you listed.

Whey = Mostly Protein, small amounts of carbs and fats
    Peanut Butter = Mostly fats, small amount protein and carbs
    Honey = High GI carbs
    Oats = Low GI Carbs
    Nuts = Fats some protein and carbs
    Raisins = High GI Carbs

So although they will certainly contain protein, they will also be quite high in fats and carbs.

IMHO if you are looking to eat high protein, moderate fat, low carb, you need to get protein sources with little or no accompanying carbs and fats. So again, tuna, whey/casin shakes, chicken breasts, etc all meet the requirements.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I use whey shakes for snacks, 2 out of 3 snacks a day one is whole food or yogurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi There

Even with homemade, for someone who wants to try a high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet, protein bars are not really an option IMHO.

Look at the ingredients you listed.

Whey = Mostly Protein, small amounts of carbs and fats
    Peanut Butter = Mostly fats, small amount protein and carbs
    Honey = High GI carbs
    Oats = Low GI Carbs
    Nuts = Fats some protein and carbs
    Raisins = High GI Carbs

So although they will certainly contain protein, they will also be quite high in fats and carbs.

IMHO if you are looking to eat high protein, moderate fat, low carb, you need to get protein sources with little or no accompanying carbs and fats. So again, tuna, whey/casin shakes, chicken breasts, etc all meet the requirements.

M

I missed the part about the low carbs. It is difficult to get protein bars with low carbs but I found this one on youtube if you wish to try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF5vkEOFz5U

I don't know the exact nutritional breakdown but it is high in protein, has some fats but low in carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 likely

i might try make them bars myself, but they look rough wonder what the taste is like anyone here try them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

VonLuck wrote: »
    I missed the part about the low carbs. It is difficult to get protein bars with low carbs but I found this one on youtube if you wish to try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF5vkEOFz5U

I don't know the exact nutritional breakdown but it is high in protein, has some fats but low in carbs.
    Ingredients:
    150g Protein Powder
    40g Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
    80g Lite Cream cheese (Philadelphia)

Sounds like it'll just be very tacky, almost fudge like. Fat content is pretty high, good fats but still calorie dense
    makebest wrote: »
    I really don't know any protein bars but I think peanut butter is high in protein and it really taste good.

Peanut butter isn't high in protein, it has some but the only thing it is high in is fat. Not a suitable protein source imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Ingredients:
    150g Protein Powder
    40g Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
    80g Lite Cream cheese (Philadelphia)

Sounds like it'll just be very tacky, almost fudge like. Fat content is pretty high, good fats but still calorie dense

Sound good to me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement