Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor threatens cat poisoning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

hm that reminds me i brought the indoor carpet outside one day to dry out after washing and hung outside...what a relief it was to find out a freaking cat pissed on it when i got to it...

i don't a steam washer to clean the carpet and i would hardly want to waste my own money bringing it to the dry cleaners to get it cleaned cause some one cant look after their pets...if your a good neighbor do buy the cat repellent and give it to the neighbor...no one else should suffer cause of your untrained pet!

poor neighbor probably had to pay for that rat poison

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

bryaner wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see the stats on how many kids go blind from cat dump per year.

My kids never really enjoyed playing in flower beds tbh.

My cousin had a severe allergic reaction caused by toxocariasis at 2 years old from playing in his sandpit in his garden, the culprit was cat faeces, he was taken straight to A&E when large red blotches started appearing all over his whole body, while waiting to be seen he started swelling up to the point that his windpipe became blocked and he would have suffocated to death had he not already been sitting in A&E. His parents have never had a pet. Fortunatly he made a full recovery, had his symptoms not been so server then action may not have been taken so quickly and who knows what would have happened during the night when everyone was asleep! Some people show no symptoms at all.

I could not find any Irish 'statistics' for you to entertain your self with but here are some UK ones for you ;)

http://www.cks.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/toxocariasis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

My cousin had a severe allergic reaction caused by toxocariasis at 2 years old from playing in his sandpit in his garden, the culprit was cat faeces, he was taken straight to A&E when large red blotches started appearing all over his whole body, while waiting to be seen he started swelling up to the point that his windpipe became blocked and he would have suffocated to death had he not already been sitting in A&E. His parents have never had a pet. Fortunatly he made a full recovery, had his symptoms not been so server then action may not have been taken so quickly and who knows what would have happened during the night when everyone was asleep! Some people show no symptoms at all.

I could not find any Irish 'statistics' for you to entertain your self with but here are some UK ones for you ;)

http://www.cks.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/toxocariasis

Glad to hear he made a recovery, still should be a cover on the sand pit when not in use, apart from cats ants, earwigs bird sh1t (which is dodgy too)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

bryaner wrote: »
    Glad to hear he made a recovery, still should be a cover on the sand pit when not in use, apart from cats ants, earwigs bird sh1t (which is dodgy too)

I agree ;) and there usually was . . except his mother was away for a week due to work commitments, his father didn't much see the point of it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

my cat is kept inside always , never let out
    if you let them out in a city - they will disappear one day.
    lost two myself to this before.

those high pressure kids water guns are great for scaring cats out of gardens and the hissing makes them very reluctant to return

may be you could ask your friend to give the neighbour one of these and come to a compromise that he will squirt at them until they learn to avoid his place.

or an auto sprinkler .

your friend should also seal the garden so they cannot get out over the fences if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

so he has to buy a water gun for ur cats lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pugsnotdrugs

I'd be interested to see the stats on how many kids go blind from cat dump per year.

My kids never really enjoyed playing in flower beds tbh.
    My younger sister got toxoplasmosis and as a result is now blind in one eye. Apart from going blind, she was very sick for months after being diagnosed as the drugs she was given as treatment had some nasty side affects. We never had a cat growing up and my parents were always really careful about covering over our sandpit etc. but it still happened to my sister.

I'm not sure how common toxoplasmosis is but I know that they routinely screen pregnant women for it in France so I assume it's common enough.

Much as I love animals, it really gets to me when people allow their cats to use their neighbours' gardens as toilets. I wouldn't dream of not picking up after my dogs and I don't see why it should be any different for cats. I would never dream of poisoning someone's pet though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I can see people getting very upset about cats wandering, but I don't see how you can stop them. I have a dog and if she was as agile as a cat I'm sure she'd be over the wall. It's not training, in her case anyway, it's ability.
    If the guy did threaten to poison the cat, purposely, he is evil and I'm not sure he would respond well to being given cat away spray. However could he possibly just have been warning that, maybe due to mice/rats etc. he was about to lay poison and hence it was a friendly warning?
    All poo is dangerous, and being pregnant I don't garden, pick up doggies poo, or do anything like this without gloves, even though we don't have a cat. Kids can get sick from any poo, so covering sand pits and having them wear gloves if they are helping you in the garden is very important. Think we are never far from a rat, and they are as dangerous, and probably in your garden too. At least a cat will keep them away and you can see their waste.
    Just as an aside, there are a lot of cat haters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Acoshla wrote: »
    My last cat died of kidney failure caused by licking anti freeze out of a discarded bottle in someone's driveway. The vet said many cats die from this as anti freeze tastes sweet so they always go for it and it causes serious internal damage. So it's not just straightforward poison he could use, there are other possible ways for him to harm the cats.

Superbump.. 8 years later my cat died from anti freeze poisoning. He was brought to the vet but they didn't diagnose it till after they put him down. Told me the morning he died that he was 'improving' than called soon after to say he was having seizures and had to be put down. Once they said they suspected anti freeze I remembered a supervet episode where they saved the cat by putting vodka in an IV and it was having seizures at the time. The antidote is simple.. alochol, the kidneys process the alcohol instead of the anti freeze so it is not converted into dangerous byproducts. Its amazing how little knowledge some vets seem to have. How they didn't suspect anti freeze considering the cold weather + symptoms I don't know.

I'm also sick of hearing antifreeze reminders on the radio when the weather gets close to freezing, yet they never give a warning to listeners to be careful not to spil it considering how deadly it is to cats. I contacted one station but never heard back and they continued to play the same ad.

spix, this thread is 9 years old. Im sure you are on boards long enough to know that bumping up old threads like this is considered poor etiquette. If you want your post split away into a new thread please pm me or report the post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement