Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Balfe

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Well then, we could perhaps conclude that his relationship with the head honchos at the National Broadcaster is not warm and even though Mr. Balfe achieves public and critical acclaim for his work, someone upstairs wants to see the back of him for good.
    A counterproductive and spiteful decision. Just my speculation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hold on here people... hold on!

Guy is 65 and that's retirement age.He should have a good pension.

He is good and an excellent broadcaster.

When I retire long into the future and collect my pension, there is no onus on the company to employ me further.

If I am productive and marketable, people will employ me , so less of the bleedin' heart stuff and more reality please.

C'mon people.
    If you read the article by Lauren Murphy, Brendan has only been on staff for the last 7 years meaning that he has only a pension built up from then and has been a roll-over contract for the other years.
    your point is valid should he be in a pensionable position for all these years but this is not the case.
    Having worked in radio for some years now, Brendan's work is a shining example of what keeps radio as a viable and unique medium in the changing world of technology and his ability to tell a story and put a soul into a series of events is unique in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

It was said on the Pat Kenny show today that his knowledge of the RTE archive is second to none. That show he does at the weekend is akin to the radio version of "Reeling in the Years" and is bloody brilliant, the best show they have.

But no need to worry there'll be surely some 2nd year media student on a placement to fill the void, most likely a relative of some management big shot. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I have no inside knowledge of Mr Balfe's contractactual history, but I will say he is an excellent broadcaster.

However, a few points.
    1.. regarding pension, surely he should have made provision for this?

hardly fair to blame RTE for a shortfall in this respect.

2.. Excellent though he may be, RTE may have an abundance in his field whereas i.e. in the Sports dept there may be more latitude for work.hence people like Magee and Moriarty are kept on.

3.. Wasn't he involved in broadcasting training with some IT or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

The Independent also has it about how he was made retire. If he gets another job in a different radio station, will he be as good without the RTE archives? It is a shame though that he can't continue to work if he wishes to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

robo wrote: »
    The Independent also has it about how he was made retire. If he gets another job in a different radio station, will he be as good without the RTE archives? It is a shame though that he can't continue to work if he wishes to.

Pat Kenny 63 and Marian Finucane 61 should be worried if RTE's bureaucratic spokesperson is to be believed - "with regards to the small number of presenters on air past 65, these arrangements relate to previous negotiations and agreed in different times."

Might explain Kenny's recent whinging, he did say during the week his private pension took a battering in the downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Just to say I'm really enjoying the RTE lovein on Radio 1 The Irish Eye as I type.

Well done Brendan yet another great archive show.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grumpy old woman

At last - something decent to take the harm out of the Irish "Summer"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought somebody was digging up an old thread for a second. Is Brendan back? I really hope so. The man is pure class. I heard his last show 2 years ago and was quite sad about his retirement at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

squonk wrote: »
    Is Brendan back?

Yeah, it's a follow up to his last series, except it's about RTE TV this time - The Irish Eye, Saturdays 1pm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement