Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two Offers but undecided!!!

• 30-07-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all!

So I applied to do a masters in Smurfit and one in UCC. My background is in engineering

The one in Smurfit is "Master in Management" while the one in UCC is "MBS in Management and Marketing".

I was offered both and now have to make a decision on Monday on which one to do. I have no idea on how to pick between these apart from the price: :confused:

Smurfit €11,500
    UCC: €7,000

From what I can gather Smurfit has a better reputation as the one in UCC has only been run since last year but is it worth the extra €4g's for it.

So I was just wondering does anyone have any experience or either and could they give me their opinions on them.

Has anyone got a good job from either?

All the best and thank you in advance for you info/input,

Mc

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I know someone who is completing the MiM in Smurfit and has, thus far, found it really good and they've enjoyed it. However, the workload is pretty intense and there will be weeks where you get very little sleep. From what I've heard the courses are quite broad with a good choice offered, so you will get a very broad grounding in business/economics subjects as well as Management, HR, etc.

Like you said, Smurfit has a good reputation and is now offering an MSc in the MiM rather than an MBS, which is offered in UCC, which, I have been told, is preferable. As you say, the course in Smurfit has also been in existence for longer, which, in my view, is also a plus.

As business is not my discipline, I can't comment on the depth or detail of the course content or on the success of graduates in gaining employment (though I suppose in recent years the number of graduates finding jobs will have dropped hugely), but anyone I've spoken to who did the MiM (I also know someone who completed the course a few years ago), they really enjoyed it and found it useful.

Advertisement