Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ireland put a man on the Moon?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

I was reading about the Apollo Program.
    NASA estimated that the total cost was $170 billion.
    Last Sept. instead of bailing out Anglo, had Brian Lenihan suggested putting a man on the moon, cost €100 billion.
    Could we do it? Could we build an Irish pub on the Moon?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

ah yeah, sure wouldnt it be great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

No.

Now go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

170 billion back then is a hell of alot more money now in this day of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

170 billion back then is a hell of alot more money now in this day of age.

That was a 2005 estimate.

"In 2009, NASA held a symposium on project costs which presented an estimate of the Apollo program costs in 2005 dollars as roughly $170 billion. This included all Research and development (R&D) costs; the procurement of 15 Saturn V rockets, 16 Command/Service Modules, 12 Lunar Modules, plus program support and management costs; construction expenses for facilities and their upgrading, and costs for flight operations. This was based on a Congressional Budget Office report, A Budgetary Analysis of NASA’s New Vision for Space, dated September 2004.[31]" -Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Developing the technology for a small island like ours enter space and land on the moon, with the sole aim of opening an Irish bar is the best idea i've ever heard ...ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soadtool

Poly wrote: »
    Last Sept. instead of bailing out Anglo, had Brian Lenihan suggested putting a man on the moon, cost €100 billion.

maybe if money wasnt an issue, in sixty years time it might be possible. I'm not sure if "rocket science" is on the CAO tho

soadtool wrote: »
    maybe if money wasnt an issue, in sixty years time it might be possible. I'm not sure if "rocket science" is on the CAO tho

It was a FAS course, so we have a head start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tantalum

right then, Irish Government, watch and learn

Developing the technology for a small island like ours enter space and land on the moon, with the sole aim of opening an Irish bar is the best idea i've ever heard ...ever.

I'd want the bar to be nice, not the kind of sh1te hole that Hans Solo would drink in.

A nice athmosphere like!

and it would have to do food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

We don't even have an air force. How could anyone expect us to fly up to the moon?:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Yanks have NASA and we have NAMA, we would be lucky to put a man on top of an apartment block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

yes, put sean fitzpatrick up there, with just enough fuel to get there..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd want the bar to be nice, not the kind of sh1te hole that Hans Solo would drink in.

A nice athmosphere like!

and it would have to do food.

I'd prefer we avoided the typical intergalactic carvery, and after a hard day in space, tapas just wouldn't hit the spot...maybe a thai?

Imagine the state of the shuttle after everyone gets tanked up on guinness!!

I'd prefer we avoided the typical intergalactic carvery, and after a hard day in space, tapas just wouldn't hit the spot...maybe a thai?

Imagine the state of the shuttle after everyone gets tanked up on guinness!!

Curry and space suits would be a health and safety issue, sorry no curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Why do people keep calling Han Solo Hans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »

Because a lot of people aren't star wars geeks....:pac:

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »

Don't care, your'e not getting in, no bounty hunters or borgs. The Borg are messy cnuts with a few pints on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Plans are well under way from NAMA,the launch vehicle is called Jayzus i hope this works,its first flight is provisionaly booked by the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When we figure out how to join up the red and green luas lines then maybe we can think about space travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Of Course. Just get one of those ultra effective aer arran flights to the moon and arrive in about 47 seconds :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Sure we could. Just make a mental note to multiply the tender price by about 3 before you accept. This is Ireland.

Recently built, under construction venues :

Venue : Lansdowne Road.
    Capacity 50,000.
    Retractable Roof : No
    Price Tag : €410m

Venue : Swedbank Arena, Solna
    Capacity 50,000.
    Retractable Roof : Yes
    Price Tag : €255m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Could Ireland put a man on the moon? Absolutely. Unfortunately there'd be several tolls to be paid on the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Maybe we could send Alison O’Riordan who then could write a report on the subject.
    Day -1.
    “As I lay on my roof garden surrounded by Grecian Ceramics and tropical flora, the cold wind of change brought a familiar excitable feeling. I looked up at the flat pancake like object, the night sun, tomorrow I will be looking down on the social scene of Dublin from another atmosphere. The feeling of anticipation is overpowering, like meeting Hollywood A listed stars as my designer puts the finishing touches to my space suit. I am going for a chic early eighties electronic look with matching handbag. I have bought a Diarmuid Gavin endorsed garden shovel in M&S to assist me in bringing back some Moonrock, which, with the help of my financial adviser price and sell on the social circuit in Dublin and hence allowing me to buy my dream 4 bed family home in the leafy D4 with all the trappings of family life”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Nah ****it, we'll put a man on the sun.

And no we wont get burned, we'll go up at night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Go Ryanair.

Flight to the Moon; €1
    Govt tax; €1.5M
    Oxygen; €2,500 per minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

The few remaining Fianna Fáil supporters seem to reside on the moon already...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

bugger. Its so good, watch it twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Why would I would a Moon Pub when I already have a Space Bar on my keyboard?

Advertisement