Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey Descent 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

Hi
    Im racing a spud boat. Going to see can i do the whole descent backwards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I did it in a spud years ago, heartbreaking springs to mind. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, glutton for punishment lads/ladies!! Lots of displacement going no there...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Decided I was going to do it last night.

Got a Prijon T Canyon that will do it nicely. Nice round hull and nice long boat should cruise through :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i have a silver and a gold k2 junior 1983/4 ....how time flies. My memories are down the sluice? at staffan, rhs templemills, sluice in lucan tricky, lucan weir straight down the wall sideways before the fish tanks, slightly right aiming left of the v.....wrens nest.....the one weir I used to have butterflies with. Someone died there 2009. The stopper rhs of weir leathal just like some of the weirs on the boyne at full flow.

have a good one and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ciaran Mc

Spare a thought for us mugs doing the rescue diver. . . Got to love it though . . . Best rush year. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ciaran Mc wrote: »
    Spare a thought for us mugs doing the rescue diver. . . Got to love it though . . . Best rush year. . .

As long as you guys spare a thought for the paddlers who are trying to roll :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

Ciaran Mc wrote: »

I'll be my first time doing it but I'll try not to fall in too often :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Bearcat wrote: »
    i have a silver and a gold k2 junior 1983/4 ....how time flies. My memories are down the sluice? at staffan, rhs templemills, sluice in lucan tricky, lucan weir straight down the wall sideways before the fish tanks, slightly right aiming left of the v.....wrens nest.....the one weir I used to have butterflies with. Someone died there 2009. The stopper rhs of weir leathal just like some of the weirs on the boyne at full flow.

have a good one and enjoy

Don't go scaring everyone, they didn't drown in the race!!! They went swimming below the weir on a sunny day, no lifeguard or rescue around. it wouldn't happen in a race, the ropes would be in before you'd be out of the boat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

2 man Canadian for me. Tried last year, but only got down Straffan weir and the hull opened up, old boat! New boat this year, new gear - v flash and just that litttle bit wiser!

• Advertisement

dubes wrote: »
    Hi
    Im racing a spud boat. Going to see can i do the whole descent backwards!!!

There's a place for people like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Racing a fiberglass T2, after a 16 year absence. Did the Lower Liffey a couple of weeks ago for practice. Hoping to get down in a reasonable time with as few swims as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Briegeen10

alfarocks wrote: »
    I'll be my first time doing it but I'll try not to fall in too often :)
    Also my first time this year and wondering am I mad. Anyone any tips I'll be in a canadian

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

What time would the race be passing the Strawberry Hall at ?

Guessing 2ish, with the serious racers. There's a lot of people who just want to say they've done it & will be taking their time so there'll be plenty paddling after that time. Other good vantage points are Leixlip from 130pm & Lucan park or bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Good luck to everyone doing this. Have fun!

A miserable start to the day, thunder & lightning but it soon cleared up. Glad to say we actually finished this year! Great craic, in our Double Canadian, bit of a nasty swim at Palmerstown & a quick hop out & hop back in again at Lucan - just to cool off! :cool:

No photos on macphoto this year unfortunately.

Results all up on the website.

lank wrote: »
    A miserable start to the day, thunder & lightning but it soon cleared up. Glad to say we actually finished this year! Great craic, in our Double Canadian, bit of a nasty swim at Palmerstown & a quick hop out & hop back in again at Lucan - just to cool off! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1fMyJFgaWo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

DId my first ever Descent and I should have done it years ago. Still buzzing after it.

I have never been so impressed by the comradship shown by everybody on the day ! :)

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    DId my first ever Descent and I should have done it years ago. Still buzzing after it.

I have never been so impressed by the comradship shown by everybody on the day ! :)

What class???

What class???

Nothing too hardcore.

Mens Senior General Purpose.

Came in 81st and with bog all effort. Thinking of actually doing a bit of work and not mucking about on the way down to see how I get on !

I've found photos from the Descent at the following sites...
    http://www.demotix.com/news/431033/liffey-descent-canoe-race
    http://ecskc.eu/
    http://www.snapt.eu/2010/ld/
    and also "EspoirCanoeClub" Youtube page features 14 videos covering all the starters from Straffan bridge in running order (1 to 14) - I'm in the 2nd last boat, video 14 - tis no wonder it took us 5 hrs to finish, my co paddler spent most of his time with his paddle in the air!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SanJxpDzs

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Pish posh.... I've your not in it to win it go home....

Race or die, race or die.....

Now where is my K1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Nothing too hardcore.

Mens Senior General Purpose.

Came in 81st and with bog all effort. Thinking of actually doing a bit of work and not mucking about on the way down to see how I get on !

I heard it was great craic, nice one on the placement. Maybe next year you'll remove the 8 from the 81 ;)

Some of the lads from the club were on rescue, they were flat out all day I believe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

Well I throughly enjoyed the trip even if we did take 4 hours or so and only took 1 swim so was very happy with that. :D

Pish posh.... I've your not in it to win it go home....

Race or die, race or die.....

Now where is my K1?

Couldn't be run with out the 700 non racers helping fund it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

"thetonynator"

I can't believe I have to actually explain myself here, what I did just there is called a joke, playing on the notion that K1ers / racers are a little bit too serious.Cheers for enforcing the stereotype there:D

MugMugs who I quoted aka Niall whom I happen to know knows all too well I was taking the piss.

Perhaps ye marrathon racers should come try out white water paddling and see how the other half live. :)

Adrian

• Advertisement

"thetonynator"

I can't believe I have to actually explain myself here, what I did just there is called a joke, playing on the notion that K1ers / racers are a little bit too serious.Cheers for enforcing the stereotype there:D

MugMugs who I quoted aka Niall whom I happen to know knows all too well I was taking the piss.

Perhaps ye marrathon racers should come try out white water paddling and see how the other half live. :)

Adrian

adrian

I presume your post isn't sarcastic - just like to point out that my reply was a joke, playing on the notion that white water paddlers are only there to make up the numbers.

Yes, i have tries white water paddling, did my level 3 last year, was going to go for level to coaching but couldnt yet for reasons out of my control. I have tried, but at least marathon racers dont descend into depression when the water drops below at certain level!! I have no problem with white water paddlers - in an ideal world everyone would be open minded and multi discipline.

Another point: How many whitewater paddlers have tried k1 paddling?

An awful lot less than the amount of racers that have tried whitewater . . .

and it would be more like howthe other 95% live - racers are kind of in a minority in this country

Advertisement