Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Carina E - when will it stop?!

Options

Comments

manatoo wrote: »
    oh right! so u've had overheating issues?

No, but that's all there really know for, other than that faultless, where do you get the idea they're not reliable from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Fap, Fap, Fap, Fap.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

guy down the road from me at home had a 92 318 and it was always in the garage. he said that wasnt unusual for them. I stand corrected !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Currently driving a 93 Audi 80 with 300,000 miles on it, and its going perfectly. Steering is a bit loose, electrics failed but put in manual window winders but other than that its perfect and gets me 50mpg too.

I also think the car has aged quite well, IMO it looks beautiful and the interior does not feel 17 years old.

I Was VB wrote: »
    Fap, Fap, Fap, Fap.

:D

whats fap?

• Advertisement

guy down the road from me at home had a 92 318 and it was always in the garage. he said that wasnt unusual for them. I stand corrected !

318 - 520, not much in common really ;)

sorry, meant the 518!!

plonk wrote: »
    Currently driving a 93 Audi 80 with 300,000 miles on it, and its going perfectly. Steering is a bit loose, electrics failed but put in manual window winders but other than that its perfect and gets me 50mpg too.

jeez...how many gaskets have you done? My mate's 92 80 has 250,000 on it but it has had 2 gaskets, a suspensions rebuild, a brake rebuild and in the end it blew a piston and cracked the head in 2. Back on the road now but had a full engine rebuild so I dont think you can count from here on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

jeez...how many gaskets have you done? My mate's 92 80 has 250,000 on it but it has had 2 gaskets, a suspensions rebuild, a brake rebuild and in the end it blew a piston and cracked the head in 2. Back on the road now but had a full engine rebuild so I dont think you can count from here on ;)

Just one I think, my father bought it in 95, then got passed on to my brother in 04 and now on to me. I was shocked when I first drove( for first time in 5 years) it a month ago and couldn't believe how good of condition it was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

This thread does disappoint all the same. I was expecting major stories! 130k miles is nothing really.
    My old man had an '87 Passat diesel estate from new back in the day, sold it in 89 with 86,000 miles on it and it was a taxi in Limerick then, and I since checked it on cartell.ie... it was taxed and running up until 2004 or something like that, with who knows how many miles on it!

• Advertisement

Just because one of your friends' cars did x,y,z that is not representative of the brand really ;) Was your friend's petrol or diesel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This thread does disappoint all the same. I was expecting major stories! 130k miles is nothing really
    Ireland is a bit small for running up huge mileages. I drive around 3 x average mileage and would still take me around 15 years driving the same car to reach 500k miles.

I'd say the size fo the country added to the way people abuse their cars means that only a small proportion of cars even reach 150k miles before being scrapped.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Ireland is a bit small for running up huge mileages. I drive around 3 x average mileage and would still take me around 15 years driving the same car to reach 500k miles.

I'd say the size fo the country added to the way people abuse their cars means that only a small proportion of cars even reach 150k miles before being scrapped.
    That's true, the Irish show a level of almost contempt for machinary. They're proud that they haven't washed or serviced their car in 4 years, then call it a bag of crap because something small went wrong in it.
    However I was in an 11 month old Avensis once with 99,000 miles on it... it was a taxi on a 3-cycle shift, 7 days a week. I wonder how long that lasted before something went bang!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    This thread does disappoint all the same. I was expecting major stories! 130k miles is nothing really.
    My old man had an '87 Passat diesel estate from new back in the day, sold it in 89 with 86,000 miles on it and it was a taxi in Limerick then, and I since checked it on cartell.ie... it was taxed and running up until 2004 or something like that, with who knows how many miles on it!

U want a story? Heres a good un!

My neighbour's grandfather bought a new Carina II 2.0diesel (the first one) in 1985. He died in 1991 and left the car to my neighbours' cousins. They drove the car till about 2001 when the mechanic they used finally refused to patch it up enough that it could be driven anymore. By then it had 333,000 miles on it, a huge amount of which was lugging sheep carriers up the mountains to their farm with loads that a landie wud shy away from. Over the years (this is the funniest bit) the loads completely flattened the rear suspension and warped the chassis at the back so the doors and boot wouldnt close right requiring various ropes to keep them shut (this was pre nct of course), the lack of suspension required the family to sit on cushions in the back to prevent spinal injury, the fuel tank filler pipe no longer reached the flap and was extended with a piece o' wavin, the pipe was leaking from various points around this piece of engineering leading to fumes in the car meaning that at all times of the year the car had to be driven with the wondows fully open, driving in a straight line had become nigh on impossible, the front brakes had begun to seize periodically (drum of water was kept in the boot for throwing over the wheels when this happened, freeing the brake up instantly) and the wipers were sporadic at best.

The mechanic finally told them he wouldn't be able to sleep if he thought he was responsible for putting them back on the road in the car by the end. It sat in a field after that till around 2005 and with a battery dropped in she'd fire and run perfectly. Finally got scrapped then. Despite the car falling to pieces it was the original engine and gearbox from day 1 and there was never any major engine work carried out on it. Outstanding!

U want a story? Heres a good un!

My neighbour's grandfather bought a new Carina II 2.0diesel (the first one) in 1985. He died in 1991 and left the car to my neighbours' cousins. They drove the car till about 2001 when the mechanic they used finally refused to patch it up enough that it could be driven anymore. By then it had 333,000 miles on it, a huge amount of which was lugging sheep carriers up the mountains to their farm with loads that a landie wud shy away from. Over the years (this is the funniest bit) the loads completely flattened the rear suspension and warped the chassis at the back so the doors and boot wouldnt close right requiring various ropes to keep them shut (this was pre nct of course), the lack of suspension required the family to sit on cushions in the back to prevent spinal injury, the fuel tank filler pipe no longer reached the flap and was extended with a piece o' wavin, the pipe was leaking from various points around this piece of engineering leading to fumes in the car meaning that at all times of the year the car had to be driven with the wondows fully open, driving in a straight line had become nigh on impossible, the front brakes had begun to seize periodically (drum of water was kept in the boot for throwing over the wheels when this happened, freeing the brake up instantly) and the wipers were sporadic at best.

The mechanic finally told them he wouldn't be able to sleep if he thought he was responsible for putting them back on the road in the car by the end. It sat in a field after that till around 2005 and with a battery dropped in she'd fire and run perfectly. Finally got scrapped then. Despite the car falling to pieces it was the original engine and gearbox from day 1 and there was never any major engine work carried out on it. Outstanding!
    Tough car for sure... having said that, I've seen tractors from the 60's take even more abuse and are still going strong today! Solid abuse is all they got all their lives. Back when Massey Ferguson made decent stuff! :D

What sort of a numpty throws water at hot brakes ?
    A landy would have been the better job really despite you / them thinking it would shy away from the loads.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The same numpty who'd drive around in a death-trap! And people complain about the fact that the NCT exists!

Just because one of your friends' cars did x,y,z that is not representative of the brand really ;) Was your friend's petrol or diesel ?

Diesel. 1.9TDi

A landy would have been the better job really despite you / them thinking it would shy away from the loads.

Well the reason im saying that is cos after it was finished they did get landy's, 2 in a row, both of which went pop in a very short amount of time but yeah obviously I know it wasn't wise and driving the car in that condition wasnt wise. Im just saying it was sh1t funny! Yeah it was good that the NCT got rid of these scenarios right enought though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A good few years ago Top Gear did a feature on high mileage cars and their owners. IIRC there was a bit about Irv Gordon and his famous Volvo p1800. There were also a few normal Joes with less extreme but still big mileage on their cars. Some of the the cars were
    Merc W123 240d
    Renault 20
    Renault 21
    Peugeot 309.

They all had around 400k miles. The fella who owned the Peugeot was interviewed, he did a huge motorway commute of something like 120 miles each way to his work as.... a lorry driver :eek: :D The car was on its original engine, gearbox and clutch. He was hoping to get it to a million miles but conceded that he might need a clutch by then :)

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    A good few years ago Top Gear did a feature on high mileage cars and their owners. IIRC there was a bit about Irv Gordon and his famous Volvo p1800.

I dont think I can give much kudos to his volvo. Any car will last forever with the amount of work he does on it. The mileage that car has is a much greater testament to his mechanical skills than the quality of that car IMO

Back in the days when TopGear was a motoring program........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Ireland is quite small place to get really high milage to cars anyway.

If you go to northern Finland it is no problem to find high milage cars:)

You can easily find 500-700k driven cars, even French ones:)

The highest figure that I know was an old Volvo 240 diesel, they used that to deliver newspaper, every day it was driven about 500km and eventually the milage was 2,4 million km, I think 3-4 engines were used to gain that one.

So if you just keep changing parts and service the car there is no reason why you could not get high milage, well basically from any car. Actually it is usually the rust that finishes the journey, not engine or something else.

itarumaa wrote: »
    Ireland is quite small place to get really high milage to cars anyway.

If you go to northern Finland it is no problem to find high milage cars:)

You can easily find 500-700k driven cars, even French ones:)

The highest figure that I know was an old Volvo 240 diesel, they used that to deliver newspaper, every day it was driven about 500km and eventually the milage was 2,4 million km, I think 3-4 engines were used to gain that one.

So if you just keep changing parts and service the car there is no reason why you could not get high milage, well basically from any car. Actually it is usually the rust that finishes the journey, not engine or something else.

True. In Sydney the taxis are not allowed to be over 7 years old for safety reasons. However in practice, due to taxi plates costing over AU$250,000, this means that each car is driven 24 hours a day in two 12 hour shifts 7 days a week only coming off the road for service and repairs. 99% of taxis are 1 car - Ford Falcon. A 4 litre V6 (standard for Australia) large saloon with LPG fuel for taxis. This need to pay off the car's cost, the 24 hour drivers' wages and make a profit for the company (almost all plates are held by companies, not individuals) means that the cars run up to around 800,000km/500,000 miles. If they havent hit this by the end of year 6 they dont consider they got enough miles from the car. All over the city there are garages that only deal with taxis so basically if your engine goes pop you drop into the nearest garage, they will fit a reconditioned unit from another taxi that would have come in say a week before and they keep your engine. You drive away in 2 hours and they keep your old engine, recondition it and so on. Because all taxis are the same car or close variation they can do this with almost any part. It means very cheap repair costs and minimal time spent off the road. A cabbie told me that most cars will go through 3/4 engines and 2/3 transmissions in that time, depending on the quality of the reconditions although there are some that make it on only 1/2 engines/trannies but its very rare

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm going to echo the "131k is nothing", I've a CITROEN outside with 136000 miles on it (well 220000km).

which citroen? what year? my sis has a C5 2006. €700 for suspensions bearing at 90,000 miles. ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Was really excited when my Honda Concherto hit 99,990.00 miles

Them Japanese have the odometer set to 000,000.00 before it clicks over

Cocky bastarts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

indeed it does! on a really cold morning i just have to give it one quick tap before starting to free it up and it's fine for the day then. Its done that since I got it and its never been a problem. Thats the butterfly valve sticking yeah?

Good to hear your tapping it before you start it. Always make sure its free before you start the car. Ya thats the throttle body sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Probably caked in gum and other 15 year old build ups, get a bottle of carb cleaner and take off the breaher pipes going to the throttle body and clean it out, should be a good-un for another 15 years.

• Advertisement

I Was VB wrote: »
    Probably caked in gum and other 15 year old build ups, get a bottle of carb cleaner and take off the breaher pipes going to the throttle body and clean it out, should be a good-un for another 15 years.

how do I do that exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement