Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thrills

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Mid Atlantic themes are worse. Who gives two ****s what happened to Corey Haim? Or who gives a ****e about Big Sur bar a few silver spoon dickheads from Foxrock who live it up in cali on Daddy's credit card for a summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

Mid Atlantic themes are worse. Who gives two ****s what happened to Corey Haim? Or who gives a ****e about Big Sur bar a few silver spoon dickheads from Foxrock who live it up in cali on Daddy's credit card for a summer.

Personally, I'd prefer them living "on daddy's credit card" to the thousands on the dole sponging off the rest of us taxpayers. (And just to clarify I'm not talking about people who have lost their jobs or those who have recently left school/graduated but the long-term career welfare shower who've gotten away with it for years.)

But back on topic, I saw a poster recently for a band called The Cheap Thrills at the Magic Carpet in Cornelscourt. Does anyone know if this might be the actual Thrills moonlighting in a low key kinda way? As far as I know they started their career in the very same venue.

Finally, as for accents are concerned what about Damien "Dubbalin" Dempsey and his Jamaican accent? At least Christy Dignam sings in a kind of a Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I liked The Thrills. The first album was a great summer sound. Second less so, and the third one was a miss. But all in all I dont understand why we knock them so much. They did what they did, did it well and had success. Some of the comments are a bit vicious. Sure the accents were annoying, but christ can they help their accents? Cork accents are horrible, but Corkonians cant help it.

vinylrules wrote: »
    Personally, I'd prefer them living "on daddy's credit card" to the thousands on the dole sponging off the rest of us taxpayers. (And just to clarify I'm not talking about people who have lost their jobs or those who have recently left school/graduated but the long-term career welfare shower who've gotten away with it for years.)

Silver spoon socialiast. Good man. I'd say you're popular in The Dandelion and Krystal.

The Daddy's CC brigade are every bit as reprehensible as the 'won't work brigade' that had no excuse during the boom years.

Dont think any of them actually came from Foxrock.

• Advertisement

Blackrock/foxrock. Cosseted Daddy's boys one and all. another reason why the Irish Public did not take to them. Nobody likes rich kids playing at being rock stars. See also Mary Black's spawn in the Coronas.

Blackrock/foxrock. Cosseted Daddy's boys one and all. another reason why the Irish Public did not take to them. Nobody likes rich kids playing at being rock stars. See also Mary Black's spawn in the Coronas.

In fairness, many people seemed to like them. Their first album sold big I think. There are plenty of bands who are arseholes, but their music is still good. Think you should separate the man from the music, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nobody likes rich kids playing at being rock stars.

People seem to quite like Blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Nobody likes rich kids playing at being rock stars.

The Rolling Stones?
    Gram Parsons?
    Velvet Underground?
    Leonard Cohen?

Yeah, everybody hates those fookers! Look, it really shouldn't matter if your dad was rich or poor when it comes to making music as long as the tunes are any good. If you don't like the music fair enough but I think using where they come from as an excuse not to like them is amazingly petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

The Coronas....urghhh.....I never wanted to punch someone so much. No idea why. I think it's just his face.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People seem to quite like Blur.
    The Rolling Stones?
    Gram Parsons?
    Velvet Underground?
    Leonard Cohen?

Yeah, everybody hates those fookers! Look, it really shouldn't matter if your dad was rich or poor when it comes to making music as long as the tunes are any good. If you don't like the music fair enough but I think using where they come from as an excuse not to like them is amazingly petty.

In Irish the nouveau riche that eminate from such places as SoCoDu (as they so glouriously self-moniker) should only be valued as objects of revulsion. Their music has no merit or substance it is just a veneer on the projected image of how glorious their lives are. I find it remarkable that you bracket The Thrills with the artists above, even more remarkable that you defend such a vaccous, venal exercise that was The Thrills.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

In Irish the nouveau riche that eminate from such places as SoCoDu (as they so glouriously self-moniker) should only be valued as objects of revulsion. Their music has no merit or substance it is just a veneer on the projected image of how glorious their lives are. I find it remarkable that you bracket The Thrills with the artists above, even more remarkable that you defend such a vaccous, venal exercise that was The Thrills.

Wow, that's a lot of bad feelings there Orlando. Did Conor Deasy spit on you from the stage or something ?
    I'm sure you've created lots of music worthy of merit that you'll tell us all about.
    Is it just The Thrills you don't like or everyone from South Dublin ?
    Ever read Ross O'Carroll Kelly ? Such a hoot :rolleyes:

I find it remarkable that a person commenting on a forum dedicated to the whitest, most middle class music out there (indie/alternative) gets up on their high horse about a band being too middle class. C'est la vie.

I find it remarkable that a person commenting on a forum dedicated to the whitest, most middle class music out there (indie/alternative) gets up on their high horse about a band being too middle class. C'est la vie.

I never realised there was a demographic that had to be adhered to with indie music. Is income a factor or where I went to school/college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I don't think either of them were defending the Thrills, merely pointing out that some of the most respected rock bands come from very well-to-do backgrounds.

I never realised there was a demographic that had to be adhered to with indie music. Is income a factor or where I went to school/college?

Well, it seems to matter to you…

Air_Bass wrote: »
    Wow, that's a lot of bad feelings there Orlando. Did Conor Deasy spit on you from the stage or something ?
    I'm sure you've created lots of music worthy of merit that you'll tell us all about.
    Is it just The Thrills you don't like or everyone from South Dublin ?
    Ever read Ross O'Carroll Kelly ? Such a hoot :rolleyes:

If he did, the lack of a music career would have been the least of his worries.

No the thrills never did anything personally to me. I just found them to be symbolic of everything that was wrong with and in the Irish music scene. A band with no work ethic to speak of suddenly parachuted onto a national/ extranational (I can't bring myself to describe thm as international) stage without any substance whilst so many great bands because they hadn't the bottomless pit of money languished playing the toilets that were classed as venues in Dublin at the time.

It was symptomatic of the Irish malaise, who you know what you can do.

I'd not be a fan of SoCoDu really. I think the recession might put a halt to their gallop though.

Me, what I have done musically? **** all. I am not sure of the relevence there either to the Thrills. Do they need a proper musician?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

If he did, the lack of a music career would have been the least of his worries.

No the thrills never did anything personally to me. I just found them to be symbolic of everything that was wrong with and in the Irish music scene. A band with no work ethic to speak of suddenly parachuted onto a national/ extranational (I can't bring myself to describe thm as international) stage without any substance whilst so many great bands because they hadn't the bottomless pit of money languished playing the toilets that were classed as venues in Dublin at the time.

It was symptomatic of the Irish malaise, who you know what you can do.

I'd not be a fan of SoCoDu really. I think the recession might put a halt to their gallop though.

Me, what I have done musically? **** all. I am not sure of the relevence there either to the Thrills. Do they need a proper musician?

It seems that your issue is more about a certain demographic of well heeled Dubliners rather than The Thrills.
    Dude, you should let go of your prejudices go out to the southside sometime – ya wanna see the chicks, posh totty everywhere – it’s great.
    Even the 'aul-wans are fit!
    The phenomenon of “some band that serious music fans don’t like” making it big while hundreds of hard-working talented musicians flounder on the sidelines is nothing new, whether it be in Dublin or anywhere else in the world.
    It's still happening today and will no doubt continue to happen.
    I’ve played in several bands that never made it and I wouldn’t ever get bitter when I see a band such as the Thrills do well.
    They just knew the right folks and had opportunities come their way.
    It may not be a fair system but this is how things work the world over.
    To begrudge and knock those who have gained some level of success is another type of “Irish Malaise”.
    To get back to the actual topic of the thread does anyone actually know anything about what became of The Thrills?
    A Q-Magazine “where are they now” article must be in the pipeline surely!

Air_Bass wrote: »
    It seems that your issue is more about a certain demographic of well heeled Dubliners rather than The Thrills.
    Dude, you should let go of your prejudices go out to the southside sometime – ya wanna see the chicks, posh totty everywhere – it’s great.
    Even the 'aul-wans are fit!
    The phenomenon of “some band that serious music fans don’t like” making it big while hundreds of hard-working talented musicians flounder on the sidelines is nothing new, whether it be in Dublin or anywhere else in the world.
    It's still happening today and will no doubt continue to happen.
    I’ve played in several bands that never made it and I wouldn’t ever get bitter when I see a band such as the Thrills do well.
    They just knew the right folks and had opportunities come their way.
    It may not be a fair system but this is how things work the world over.
    To begrudge and knock those who have gained some level of success is another type of “Irish Malaise”.
    To get back to the actual topic of the thread does anyone actually know anything about what became of The Thrills?
    A Q-Magazine “where are they now” article must be in the pipeline surely!

I have lived there 13 years. It only reinforces the stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

So back on topic, I was only talking about them with a buddy the weekend, and he said one of them was a dj in London or something.
    I remember they were on MTV a lot for a while. SUrely they made a few quid out of it. But what I'd like to know about them, and about other bands as well, is what do they do now to make a few quid, seeing as they a) seem to have split up, therefore don't do gigs or sell albums, and b) need to make a few quid!

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    So back on topic, I was only talking about them with a buddy the weekend, and he said one of them was a dj in London or something.
    I remember they were on MTV a lot for a while. SUrely they made a few quid out of it. But what I'd like to know about them, and about other bands as well, is what do they do now to make a few quid, seeing as they a) seem to have split up, therefore don't do gigs or sell albums, and b) need to make a few quid!

I'd imagine back to thier previous carers or forge into TV or something.

Look at Blur, Dave Rowantree went back to Law and Alex James went farming fulltime.

Was it The Immediate that broke up on the cusp of a breakthrough, is it just yer man from the Villagers left in music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

To be fair Big Sur was a great tune....but even then its hard to listen to the singer. Imagine if a real singer sang that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Was it The Immediate that broke up on the cusp of a breakthrough?

From the way Conor O'Brien tells it they had all been in the band since they were young enough and two of the guys decided that it wasn't what they wanted to do for a career so they broke up.

They were doing reasonably well and were quite liked - I remember at the time their album came out it charted well above Humanzi's (who were being shoved down our throats as the 'next big thing'). The Immediate did it with little or no advertising push behind them though, relying actually on decent songs and gigs rather than haircuts and image.

I'm not sure what became of the other guys from The Immediate - I think they went back to or continued on in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kiwi_40

Well, guitarist Daniel Ryan manages Little Green Cars (!) and dabbles in juicing. Bassist Padraic McMahon works in LinkedIn, drummer Ben Carrigan plugs away a film/TV composer and pianist Kevin Horan is a touring musician with Little Green Cars. Lead singer Conor Deasy was reported to have been working on a solo album in 2012, but we’re still awaiting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

kiwi_40 wrote: »
    Well, guitarist Daniel Ryan manages Little Green Cars (!) and dabbles in juicing. Bassist Padraic McMahon works in LinkedIn, drummer Ben Carrigan plugs away a film/TV composer and pianist Kevin Horan is a touring musician with Little Green Cars. Lead singer Conor Deasy was reported to have been working on a solo album in 2012, but we’re still awaiting that.
    Thanks for bumping this thread after 8 years and reminding me of this terrible band. They were a distant memory.

Dude your welcome, time to bring the Thrills back......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm not sure what became of the other guys from The Immediate - I think they went back to or continued on in college.

Peter Twomey is a DJ in the garage bar and a school teacher I believe.

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I remember hearing them live a couple of times on the radio and the tv back in their heyday; the singer could not sing for sht in a live setting. At the time I hadn't seen a lot of bands play live, so I just assumed all singers sounded kack live. I've since come to realise that your man from The Thrills was a deluxe in the ineptitude department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

kiwi_40 wrote: »
    Dude your welcome, time to bring the Thrills back......
    My welcome?

Advertisement