Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boycott the tunnell

• 27-07-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

Why should we have to pay for a tunnell when there's one free in cork for years?
    Cork has got as many IDA jobs in 2010 as Limerick has since 1997. Bit of favouritism going on i'm afraid.

And with no jobs in the city, it'll be almost as quick not to use it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Do we need another tunnel thread.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Do we need another tunnel thread.... :)

Im actually sick of hearing about this bloody tunnel now...i cant wait till its open and we hear no more about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

liammur wrote: »
    Why should we have to pay for a tunnell when there's one free in cork for years?
    Cork has got as many IDA jobs in 2010 as Limerick has since 1997. Bit of favouritism going on i'm afraid.

But how many Limerick residents will use the tunnel on a regular basis? Much of the traffic is people who want to go THROUGH Limerick not TO Limerick. Therefore the residents will benefit while others pay the toll, in a lot of cases.

I'll use it once per week on my way to Kilkee, not on my way back, and I'll be happy to do so. Can't wait for it to be open actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

boycott it all you like good sir. less traffic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Jack Lynch tunnel had no private funding involved in it's building as far as I know. So future profit was always going to be the aim with the Limerick tunnel.

But the Cork tunnel was originally to be tolled, but due to public and local political pressure that idea was dropped.Below is what is on the wiki page about the toll being dropped.

The concept of a toll was dropped after political opposition. It was felt that, because of the proximity of the tunnel to the city, the imposition of tolls would tend to encourage some drivers to avoid the tunnel and continue using the city centre streets thus minimising the benefits of the tunnel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Whats that got to do with the tunnel being tolled? The JLT was built with EU funding. By the time it came to building our tunnel we no longer qualified for these funds. If it wasn't a PPP it would never have been built. I'll be happy to use it anytime I need to go to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

i agree with the guy who says there's so much noise about the tunnell, you'd swear it was free ffs, and then we need biffo and dempsey to open it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What's a tunnell?

Cant wait for schools to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

shg101 wrote: »
    I'll use it once per week on my way to Kilkee, not on my way back, and I'll be happy to do so. Can't wait for it to be open actually.

But where's your sense of outrage over the injustice involved?

You're like the very opposite of Erin Brockovich.

- Which I'm pretty sure is something like hcivokcorB nirE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Raiser wrote: »
    But where's your sense of outrage over the injustice involved?

You're like the very opposite of Erin Brockovich.

- Which I'm pretty sure is something like hcivokcorB nirE?

What injustice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

shg101 wrote: »
    What injustice?

Can I optimistically conclude that the above line of questioning marks the start of your search for the injustice?

- Go down to City Hall and ask for copies of all documentation to do with this endeavour.

May God go with you (In a figurative sense I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Raiser wrote: »
    Can I optimistically conclude that the above line of questioning marks the start of your search for the injustice?

- Go down to City Hall and ask for copies of all documentation to do with this endeavour.

May God go with you (In a figurative sense I mean)

can you narrow down what we're looking for please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I dont have a problem with a toll road....but why not just toll them and put a counter on the top telling u how much has 2 be paid before the road is no longer a toll road...

This would encourage a lot more ppl to use them and would enable a lot more infastructure neccessitys to go ahead...

Simply allow any construction company to make a reasonable ammount of profit and away we go..they shouldnt be toll roads forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Having a toll is a good idea. I doubt the country could afford it otherwise. At least this way we can spread the cost out over a number of years. I wonder if it would compare favorably to the government getting a loan and having to pay interest. With a toll any risk is hared between the state and private companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

steveon wrote: »
    ..they shouldnt be toll roads forever...

I think it is 31 years. Then it reverts to full state ownership and no tolls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi All,

Used the tunnell yesterday evening, took me 30 minutes to get from Raheen to Ennis at 5 yesterday evening, and no I wasn't speeding too badly ;) I can't understand the hatred of tolls, people are being employed on the tolls, that isn't bad, we have roads that we wouldn't have otherwise, that isn't bad, you have a choice whether to use them or not, that isn't bad.

In regards whether in 31 years the roads will be free or not, who knows what'll happen in 31 years time? 31 years ago most of the larger companies in the area weren't in existance, look at the Sydney Harbour Bridge, that was a toll and was due to be paid back on a certain date, they kept the toll going to help cover other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Toll roads have been popping up all over the place for quite a few years, they're great, they have helped improve driving in this country whereby it is generally possible to drive between larger urban areas in under 3 hours.
    Complete bull, out by a factor of 20
    Don't live there, not willing to comment on something I know nothing about

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Let's see, take money from taxpayers, most of who will never use the tunnel, or add a toll to charge those who do. Of course it makes absolutely no sense to have a toll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Roadend wrote: »
    Let's see, take money from taxpayers, most of who will never use the tunnel, or add a toll to charge those who do. Of course it makes absolutely no sense to have a toll

Correct.

Infrastructure projects, such as the tunnel, which cut down on the time taken to travel between major centers of population and the time taken to transport goods. Having a decent infrastructure is vital to attract foreign direct investment, which in turn provides jobs to the economy which then benefits the tax payer. Almost every major infrastructure project in the country benefits the tax payer to some extent regardless of whether you as an individual ever use that piece of road/rail etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

topper75 wrote: »

I'll believe that when I see it (assuming that I'm still around).

Irish governments have a habit of keeping charges and taxes that are due to be abolished (VRT, PMPA levy and PRSI being the obvious example).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

15 minutes to get from Dell to Lansdowne park at 5, not a hope of me boycotting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

15 minutes to get from Dell to Lansdowne park at 5, not a hope of me boycotting it.

The toll annoys me as much as anyone. It's part of harsh financial reality.

All the same, on a positive note, it's great to read posts like AnCapaillMór's. Quality of life is improved for a lot of people in our beautiful part of the world. I'm not going to benefit from the tunnel myself but I'm delighted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭timesnewroman

+1

It took me 12mins last evening to get from The Radisson to Finnegans.

On the subject of the tolls...people think nothing of spending €8.50 on cigarettes on a daily basis or €4.50 on a pint. I value my time and will pay the toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

true, people who complain about the toll would spend €70 on a Sat night and puke it up against a wall.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

seachto7 wrote: »
    true, people who complain about the toll would spend €70 on a Sat night and puke it up against a wall.....

Somehow I get the feeling those complaining on here wouldnt do that.

They'd be too busy at home of a Saturday night trawling through the newspapers looking for possible topics to ring Joe Duffy with during the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Somehow I get the feeling those complaining on here wouldnt do that.

They'd be too busy at home of a Saturday night trawling through the newspapers looking for possible topics to ring Joe Duffy with during the coming week.

I'm riniging him today about puke covered walls on a Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

I travelled the Raheen/Shannon route with a group of foreign investors ,thinking of establishing in Ireland, on Monday (pre-tunnel) and yesterday (through tunnel). They were very impressed as it now effectively links Shannon Airport with Limerick. It certainly increased the chances of Limerick getting a significant number of new jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

topper75 wrote: »

My understanding is it will be handed to the state in 31 years with a 10 year remaining structural guarantee (ie no capital works required for the next 10 years). What the government choose to do about tolls at that stage is anybody's guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Used the tunnel yesterday evening 13 minutes from Clonmacken to Adare, I will gladly pay the toll.

Advertisement