Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race difficulty, terrain, weather, hills ect...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Barcelona is actually a Dublin-sized marathon, but yeah, Berlin is a behemoth, and the sheer force of numbers means that even at the pointy end of the race, you will be faced by a huge number of walkers, as those who failed to achieve their goals do the walk of shame along the race line.

Longford will always hold a soft-spot as it stole my marathon virginity. It is the bog-trotters, without the bog. After the muscles pain and niggles are just a distant memory, you will remember how you ran, not where you ran though, as running on national roads doesn't bring a tear to the eye, like Connemara, with its lakes and mountains....and hills...

I think there is a place for all these races. Sometimes you need the razzmatazz of the big spectacle, and at other times you need the peace and solitude of a Longford, Connemara or a Bogtrotter. But for me, Barcelona is a runner's marathon rather than a spectators marathon, as different to Berlin as Connemara is, and a worthy reward for those willing to train through the harsh winter (followed by Connemara a few weeks later :)).

No pointy elbows in Berlin this year for you Krusty! A sub 2.48 would give you a top 400 based on last years finishing times. If youre not able to tip Haile on the shoulder to wish him luck, youre too far back!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,503 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

T runner wrote: »
    No pointy elbows in Berlin this year for you Krusty! A sub 2.48 would give you a top 400 based on last years finishing times. If youre not able to tip Haile on the shoulder to wish him luck, youre too far back!
    When Haile heard I was going to run Berlin, he decided to pull out and aim for NYC marathon instead. Little did he know I'll be in NY that weekend too. :)

Don't forget that although you might finish in the top 400, that doesn't necessarily mean that only 400 people will start in front of you. Running at sub-3 pace, I passed hundreds and hundreds of runners walking to the finish line last year, who had either gone out too fast, or didn't have the endurance. Pack of barstewards wouldn't walk on the side of the road either. One good thing though: Germans (like the British) are very good at queuing, and going to their allocated starting spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

When Haile heard I was going to run Berlin, he decided to pull out and aim for NYC marathon instead. Little did he know I'll be in NY that weekend too. :)

Don't forget that although you might finish in the top 400, that doesn't necessarily mean that only 400 people will start in front of you. Running at sub-3 pace, I passed hundreds and hundreds of runners walking to the finish line last year, who had either gone out too fast, or didn't have the endurance. Pack of barstewards wouldn't walk on the side of the road either. One good thing though: Germans (like the British) are very good at queuing, and going to their allocated starting spot!

That's good to hear about German queuing integrity! I was in the wrong position in Paris and didnt pass the 3 hour baloons until 7-8k. Thinned out after that. Ill try and be nearer the front than the baloons this time but as you say might be easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

yeah its nice to get near the start of a medium to big marathon. I started in the red wave in Edinburgh and it war perfect. Got into my stride early.

Advertisement