Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I can see the point alright.

But I feel that its a big risk either way.
    And it seems to me that having a lad who can bat a bit and field well is better than being a man down in the field and having a rabbit at the end of a patchy batting order.

Id say that point played a lot on the minds of the selectors as well. It must have been mighty tempting to bring Rashid tbh, for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

With only one world class player (Ponting) and ten passengers in the side I wonder how Australia are going to go about regaining the ASHES??!!;)

If England don't beat this Australian team they will never win in Australia...ever:(

Already looking forward ....not to the Ashes!!.... but England v India next summer in England......4 tests.......plan on going over to see God Sachin play what must be his last series in England:).....perhaps a century at Lords:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

one world class player?

are you on drugs?

or possibly off them when you should be on some??

booth70 wrote: »
    With only one world class player (Ponting) and ten passengers in the side I wonder how Australia are going to go about regaining the ASHES??!!;)

If England don't beat this Australian team they will never win in Australia...ever:(

Already looking forward ....not to the Ashes!!.... but England v India next summer in England......4 tests.......plan on going over to see God Sachin play what must be his last series in England:).....perhaps a century at Lords:)

While I agree that this is Englands best chance to beat Australia down under, to say that they have one world class player is ridiculously off the mark.

kryogen wrote: »
    one world class player?

are you on drugs?

or possibly off them when you should be on some??

:D:D......thats a good one

Okay then.....I'll take that back.....they have two more....I'll add the opener Watson to my list....and Hilfy purely bcos the rest of the bowlers were so awful that they make Hilfy look world class!!

Surely there must be something seriously wrong with a team that loses after scoring 428 and 478 in its first innings.....but as usual Autralia's inadequacies will be swept under the carpet bcos its only India:( they lost to and also they were away from home....

Ponting has to bat out of his skin for Australia to have any chance in the Ashes....then he has to somehow conjure up a way to get this bunch of pie chuckers to take 20 wickets

To be continued....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

You're pot-stirring aren't you because its a silly comment otherwise.
    Aussie batting lineup of Watson, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, North, Haddin at home are going to be tough to dislodge.
    The choice of bowlers is going to be fine for the seamers with the return of Harris and Bollinger on top of the crew about now.
    Only lack in that Aussie squad will be an attacking spinner. This is the advantage that England have over Aussie. Swann is an absolute dangerman. English attack on Aussie tracks still have a learning curve to climb and their batsmen will be well under pressure. Anderson has yet to perform there. Broad will still, in my opinion, be overused as a bumper. Beyond those two, ordinary. Maybe the rookies might enjoy themselves. They'll find it tough as they'll be targetted from the get-go by the Aussie batsmen.

An Aussie side at home, having lost a series and aiming to regain the Ashes? I'd say they'll nick it. Could be a close one. I hope Aussie stuff'em.

JustinDee wrote: »
    You're pot-stirring aren't you because its a silly comment otherwise.Aussie batting lineup of Watson, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, North, Haddin at home are going to be tough to dislodge.

Hussey..... past his best!
    North.....Law of Averages means North is now due a run of single digit scores until about the 2nd innings of the 4th test!
    Clarke.....less said about Pup the better....and to think he's going to be Australia's next captain!!
    Katich....scores too slowly to make any impact on the game
    Ponting and Watto will carry the batting but can they do it everytime?

The less said about the bowlers the better:(

England 3 Australia 1:)

North.....Law of Averages means North is now due a run of single digit scores until about the 2nd innings of the 4th test!
    Clarke.....less said about Pup the better....and to think he's going to be Australia's next captain!!

Now I know youre just winding people up for a reaction... :rolleyes:;)

What rubbish. Far from "past it"
    There are two or three youngsters I'd have in ahead of him but again, at home he's a different prospect.
    Even Steve Waugh went through a dip. Everyone goes through it.
    What?? He's an opener. He builds innings and partnerships. Thats an opener's job and why he's so good at it.
    "Too slow" . . . lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mitch Johnson is a top pace Bowler on his day.
    On Aussie tracks he will be a nightmare for the English batting order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Mitch Johnson is a top pace Bowler on his day.
    On Aussie tracks he will be a nightmare for the English batting order.

Or be completely wayward and leak runs while scowling like a child. Either could happen. I'd be more worried about Siddle and the Haus, hell even Dougeh ain't all that bad.

Don't understand all the hate for Monty. He is nowhere near as bad as some have made out. If England go for two spinners at Sidney he will cause a lot of trouble for the Aussie batting.

Or be completely wayward and leak runs while scowling like a child. Either could happen. I'd be more worried about Siddle and the Haus, hell even Dougeh ain't all that bad.

TBH you could be talking about siddle or hilfenhaus.

Sensationally good looking Swing Bowling Sensation Jimmy "Jimmy Anderson" Anderson has broken a rib in some absurdly stupid "boot camp" in Germany.

Silly ECB.

I think its only cracked and they reckon he will be fit for the first test

Lawson....what can I say??!!:eek:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/geoff-lawson-dump-ponting-for-clarke-as-captain/story-e6frg1wu-1225939080729

Thats right....give the captaincy to Clarke....after all he only scored 35 runs in 4 innings in India....FFS Hilfy scored more runs than Clarke in India

While I take Lawson's point about Ponting giving up the captaincy to concentrate on his batting...surely Clarke is not ready to be Australia captain....maybe North might be a better choice;)

Im not sure anyone would ever be able to captain an Australia side that still has Ricky Ponting in it tbh.

Also, while I dont agree with dropping Ponting as captain in favour of Clarke, one bad series or a dip in form as a batsman is in no way an indication of whether he should be considered for captaincy. Clarke has proven himself over time to be a test batsman of the highest quality and already has experience captaining Australia in both forms of the one day game as well as being vice-captain of the test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I don't rate North either, he is a flat track bully and I expect Swann to destroy him in the Ashes.:)
    Clarke had a horrible tour in India but when it comes to Test cricket, he is class. He was the best batsman in the last Ashes and also scored heavily in the 5-0 trashing. He is Australia's best batsman and looking at England I don't see anyone at his level really.
    Katich scores slowly? The same accusation was aimed at Langer andd he done ok. ;) Its not as if Cook is a big hitter either;)
    The bowlers are good. Mitch had little luck in the indian series but he bowled well enough and took wickets. I doubt England are looking forward to facing him. Siddle who is injured is excellent and Hilfy has impressed me hugely since his return from injury. He was superb in England last year, and their is no reason for me to think he won't do well in the Ashes.

Oh and if you still don't rate Mitch... PLEASE WATCH THIS....

I think Johnson is a bit like Anderson in that on his day he is phenomenal, but when he is off color he really can be a bit poo. I too feel there is no reason to think he is not going to do well this Ashes tho; it is a series in which he can really make a name for himself and I can see him being the Aussies most important bowler in the series.

Clarke has proven himself ready to step into the captaincy whenever he is called upon

He is also a batsman of the highest order, at the highest level

However, there is noone going to be able to captain the Aussie team with Ponting in it, besides Ponting, and tbh, I am still a long way from wanting to see anyone captain that Aussie team but the legend that is Ricky Ponting

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Any chance of Lee coming back for the Ashes?, he just took 11-2-37-2 @3.36 in his comeback game for NSW...

• Advertisement

Apologies for going off topic but are NZ now officially the worst team in the world??!!;)

Bangers 4 Kiwis 0.....cant believe it!!

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-new-zealand-2010/content/current/story/482130.html

Cremated wrote: »
    Any chance of Lee coming back for the Ashes?, he just took 11-2-37-2 @3.36 in his comeback game for NSW...

Retired from test cricket so he can get back to one-day and subsequently back for the CWC.

There is good choice for seamers. Thats not the potential problem area. Spin is.

It would be great to have Lee back regardless of what other options are available right now in the pace bowling department, he is a genuine wicket taker and he would trouble the batsmen

Cant see it happening mind you

JustinDee wrote: »
    Retired from test cricket so he can get back to one-day and subsequently back for the CWC.

There is good choice for seamers. Thats not the potential problem area. Spin is.

Apart from the Gabba all the other wickets in Oz are flat batting belters.....so its not a given that the seamers will make hay on these pitches....that applies to the seamers from both teams

Apart from the Gabba all the other wickets in Oz are flat batting belters.....so its not a given that the seamers will make hay on these pitches....that applies to the seamers from both teams

Also can't see Australia playing a spinner at the Gabba

Warney sucks up to Ponting.......what a surprise!

http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/482518.html

Also can't see Australia playing a spinner at the Gabba
    What???
    Days 4 and 5 on the Gabba, at MCG and the SCG are consistently perfect for a good turner of the ball with nice bounce to boot.
    Flat batting tracks indeed . . .

For the entire length of the Indian tour he was going on and on about the Ashes and how that was the main event.....

Now with the Ashes coming up he starts rambling about the world cup next year!!!:confused:

http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/483020.html

Right, but the thing there is that you see, One Day cricket and test cricket are different, and when you are being interviewed about One Day cricket you generally discuss One Day cricket issues

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Right, but the thing there is that you see, One Day cricket and test cricket are different, and when you are being interviewed about One Day cricket you generally discuss One Day cricket issues

Likewise when you are being asked about the test series in India you shouldn't be talking about the Ashes....this guy is already going to go down as the greatest test captain never to have won a series in India or England...Come January and he'll be the first Australian captain to lose the Ashes home and away

Advertisement