Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare Tyre

Options
  • 23-07-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I've been doing the usual, eating healthier, cutting out the junk food and going to the gym at least once a week.

I've lost a stone so far (down to 82kg now) and I've seem some results, definitely on my legs. I just have a spare type and its really getting to me now that it's just not shifting no matter what weights or cardio I'm doing. My stomach has thinned at the top which has actually made it look worse.

I would love to hear some suggestions about losing this. I seem to have hit a brick wall if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions are extremely welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Firstly - Stats? (age, weight, height)
    Goals? - How much more fat loss?
    Diet - Everything you eat, drink, everything that passes your lips from when you get up to when you go to bed.
    Gym - Asides from explaining why you are only going once a week (??)
    What exactly are you doing in the gym? Every detail. Weight, reps, cardio

With that info you'll get a better response, better constructive criticism and excellent advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Heres some more info, thanks optimistic.

Stats - 19, 82kg and 5''8-9

Goals? - I'm happy with everything else, its just my stomach now.

Diet -
    Morning - Greek Yoghurt and Museli w sunflower seeds and a strong coffee
    Lunch - Slice of ham, biscuit or a sandwich (usually skip this)
    Dinner - Fish, Cous Cous (sometimes a stew) try to have veg with every dinner.

Gym - I have 4 repeat exams, 4 internships and I run a business with a mate so i don't have the time at the moment. I would like to go more often and in a month I will be going more.

Usually do about 15-30 reps on each weight machine, 50kg upper and 70-90kg lower (depends on the machine).

Cardio - 20 minutes on a cross trainer, quite fast, burn about 200 calories in that time, 15 minutes running about 7-9km/per hour and 5 minutes on the rowing machine on 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

Hi,

Instead of the steady-state cardio, introduce HIIT to your workouts.
    Basically, HIIT doesn't allow your body to get comfortable at a certain pace. It involves for example, 2 mins of flat out running, followed by a minute of jogging / walking. Repeat over and over for 20 mins or whatever your able for. If you do this and the weights as outlined below, you'll notice a difference in no time. It's an especially good format for smashing the belly!

Lower your reps and increase the weight for each set - Try reps at 8, 6, 4 instead.
    Concentrate on the bigger muscle groups - Working the larger muscle groups with lower reps and increased weight will burn more calories through an increase in metabolism
    Concentrate on the biggies like your chest, back, legs etc...
    Exercises like bench-press, rows, squats, deadlifts will do the trick.

If you put the effort into this 3/4 times a week for just 45 mins a go, you'll be in good nick.

Best of luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think that if something is bothering you that much, then it's probably worth spending 50-100 euro for a session with a good personal trainer.
    You'll get nutrition and training advice specific to you and you'll walk away with a plan of action which will make you feel empowered.

Good luck with it, you're doing good so far, now you're ready for the next step up.

Lloyd Xmas wrote: »
    Hi,

Instead of the steady-state cardio, introduce HIIT to your workouts.
    Basically, HIIT doesn't allow your body to get comfortable at a certain pace. It involves for example, 2 mins of flat out running, followed by a minute of jogging / walking. Repeat over and over for 20 mins or whatever your able for. If you do this and the weights as outlined below, you'll notice a difference in no time. It's an especially good format for smashing the belly!

Lower your reps and increase the weight for each set - Try reps at 8, 6, 4 instead.
    Concentrate on the bigger muscle groups - Working the larger muscle groups with lower reps and increased weight will burn more calories through an increase in metabolism
    Concentrate on the biggies like your chest, back, legs etc...
    Exercises like bench-press, rows, squats, deadlifts will do the trick.

If you put the effort into this 3/4 times a week for just 45 mins a go, you'll be in good nick.

Best of luck with it anyway!

Thanks so much, once I have my repeats out of the way I can get properly stuck into this. Any help is greatly appreciated and all of the above advice sounds good to me. I'm able for it anyway so I'll report back in a month or so and let you know how I'm getting on.

I think that if something is bothering you that much, then it's probably worth spending 50-100 euro for a session with a good personal trainer.
    You'll get nutrition and training advice specific to you and you'll walk away with a plan of action which will make you feel empowered.

Good luck with it, you're doing good so far, now you're ready for the next step up.

Think I might do this aswell. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

50-100 euro for a session. Is that what a personal trainer charges? Jesus thats absolutley ridiculous. It would be cheaper to visit your local GP. What a ripoff

But id say its a super fast way to loses pounds and pounds. Only problem is they wont be fat or even muscle...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

50-100 euro for a session. Is that what a personal trainer charges? Jesus thats absolutley ridiculous. It would be cheaper to visit your local GP. What a ripoff

But id say its a super fast way to loses pounds and pounds. Only problem is they wont be fat or even muscle...!!

50 euro is a base price. A really top trainer can cost 250 an hour. Others are 120 a hour.
    A gp is not going to educate you about training and nutrition etc so it's a silly comparrison.

You pay for what you get- you can pay 50 for a pt with little experience or more for a self employed experienced pt.
    But, if you think it's too much, it's not for you.

I'll try this first and see how I get on. I need to renew my membership with my college gym in September, I think you get a free consultation/diet thing with it if you do that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'll try this first and see how I get on. I need to renew my membership with my college gym in September, I think you get a free consultation/diet thing with it if you do that anyway.

There's a reason those consultations are free to be honest, they're normally pretty sh!te, you'd be better investing in a session with a decent PT. It's amazing how people think 100Eur is too much to spend on their health yet they'll happily spend it on a weekends drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

G86 wrote: »
    There's a reason those consultations are free to be honest, they're normally pretty sh!te, you'd be better investing in a session with a decent PT. It's amazing how people think 100Eur is too much to spend on their health yet they'll happily spend it on a weekends drinking.

It's a truly Irish thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

G86 wrote: »

While i agree to an extent, 1- 1's are so horribly overpriced in this country that they deter so many people. At €50 perhour, im willing to bet that good trainers would get more clients then they can handle.

In Northern Ireland, its 25 quid an hour, in Dublin its 60 - 80, go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Chet Zar wrote: »
    It's a truly Irish thing ;)

And that's why the vast majority of Irish people look a ****ing state.

Advertisement