Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash Safety: Audi Q7 vs Fiat 500

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

And on the flip side, Ford F150 Pickup truck vs MINI (And the old 4 star model, not the new 5 star model).

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150

mini_vs_f150.jpg

Granted, they don't smack into one another, but not all 4x4's/SUV's ar created equal. The popular Navara is only a 1 star car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

another advantage is that 8/10 if i was in a crash the other vehicle would be smaller and lighter than mine, which means because my car would decelerate less and because the bumper support is higher in mine that my jeep would simply roll over a smaller car injuring me far less, to give the fiat 500 a 5 star rating is ludacris , its one of the smallest production cars you can buy , id need to hit a RR or an artic to come off worse, a fiat 500 would come off worse with almost anything except another super micro hairdresser mobile ,
    I honestly have the feeling you might be kidding yourself here. What do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Anan1 wrote: »
    I honestly have the feeling you might be kidding yourself here. What do you drive?

basing that on my old kia sorento, still waiting on my new d-max

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

still waiting on my new d-max

Have you seen the crash ratings on a Dmax? I'd gladly go head to head with you in my MINI.

thumb__mediaplayerpreview.jpg

Look at what happened to the chassis, it's separated from the body, the cabin is bent in the middle, and it got a 2 star rating. Might look strong and tough, but it's far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

It's kind of a rubbish test, two opposite extremes of vehicles going against each other. A Landcruiser V Q7 would be more realistic test where you would see all occupants of each vehicle being bagged and tagged.
    I'm sure you know more than the people who do this for a living.
    A Landcruiser V Q7 would be more realistic test
    What do you mean by realistic? Is it unrealistic to think a Q7 might one day crash into a small car?:confused:
    test where you would see all occupants of each vehicle being bagged and tagged.
    The aim of these tests isn't to cause as much damage as possible, it's not a Jeremy Clarkson dvd.

• Advertisement

Have you seen the crash ratings on a Dmax? I'd gladly go head to head with you in my MINI.

thumb__mediaplayerpreview.jpg

Look at what happened to the chassis, it's separated from the body, the cabin is bent in the middle, and it got a 2 star rating. Might look strong and tough, but it's far from it.

thats the old d-max model, the ncap website also lists it as not having seatbelt pretensioners or a passenger airbag, both of which the 2010 model has , they havent tested the new one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

this video just reinforces my love of 4x4's and my hatred of the fiat 500 , atleast now i know if i hit one ill definitley be right

??

Should it not be the other way around?

4x4 owners are more likely to kill occupants of smaller cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

its not, I drive a 4x4 because i need a vehicle which can carry a lot of tools, get commercial tax, but i dont want something as uncomfortable as a van , also 4wd is needed as i end up down muddy lanes and on building sites.
    all well and good...
    another advantage is that 8/10 if i was in a crash the other vehicle would be smaller and lighter than mine, which means because my car would decelerate less and because the bumper support is higher in mine that my jeep would simply roll over a smaller car injuring me far less, to give the fiat 500 a 5 star rating is ludacris , its one of the smallest production cars you can buy , id need to hit a RR or an artic to come off worse, a fiat 500 would come off worse with almost anything except another super micro hairdresser mobile ,

Complete and utter nonsense. No basis in fact. The fact that your vehicle is higher, btw, makes you more prone to overturning. And if you do run into a low car, you'll be the one on your side/roof, and I can assure you your commercial/SUV will then be the lesser vehicle. We build and convert vehicles here everyday, and have stuff crash-tested at MIRA, and unitary monocoque cars, almost irrespective of size, are very well engineered for passenger's. Commercial's, by their very nature, are built for service and goods, first, and everthing else comes 2nd/3rd/4th.

Of course, the fact that you'll be impaled by a 300kg Jobox in the bed, through the back of your seat, means it'll all be moot anyhoo what the front impact protection is.

I have a 10 D reg merc commercial with 280kms from new on it, to prove it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'm going fiat hunting tonight!

;)

Hammertime wrote: »
    I'm going fiat hunting tonight!

;)

ill fire up the Q7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The driver would have suffered fatal injuries in the 500 because the airbag failed. That can happen in any car. I'm a bit suspicious of ADAC's motives in this test tbh.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    ??

Should it not be the other way around?

4x4 owners are more likely to kill occupants of smaller cars...

yes but as a 4x4 owners im more likely to be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

yes but as a 4x4 owners im more likely to be fine

You'd better make sure you don't crash into an MPV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKu1UDoa6s

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You'd better make sure you don't crash into an MPV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKu1UDoa6s

luckily i avoid school run times and I wouldnt drive series 2 discovery , but i may need to buy a train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss3J-gmadE4&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

luckily i avoid school run times and I wouldnt drive series 2 discovery , but i may need to buy a train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss3J-gmadE4&feature=related

The main observations from the test was that the strong chassis rail deflected the MVP into the passenger cabin. I doubt many of those big strong sturdy 4x4s would react much different in a similar collision.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The main observations from the test was that the strong chassis rail deflected the MVP into the passenger cabin. I doubt many of those big strong sturdy 4x4s would react much different in a similar collision.

considering it was an old design discovery and not anywhere near as safe as most modern eastern 4x4's (kia sorento, toyota landcuiser etc..) i would say that that video illustrates very little for cars bought in the last 8 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I remember been told about the Land rover defender crash safety - they use other cars as crumple zones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I think the Fiat came out better than the VW Polo in the Polo vs Phaeton (2.5ton, like the Q7) test:

Look at the lack of impact on the Phaeton, it basically just slows down. The Polo is rebounded severely, the kinetic energy would be lethal to the occupants.

But it kinda undermines the SUV critique, the problem is endemic to heavy vs light weight crash tests. They are not safe places to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I think the Fiat came out better than the VW Polo in the Polo vs Phaeton (2.5ton, like the Q7) test:

Look at the lack of impact on the Phaeton, it basically just slows down. The Polo is rebounded severely, the kinetic energy would be lethal to the occupants.

But it kinda undermines the SUV critique, the problem is endemic to heavy vs light weight crash tests. They are not safe places to be.
    Despite the rebound, the Polo did very well in that test. Much better than the Fiat. Passenger compartment held up well and every body part was rated either green or yellow. This was only a 50 km/h vs 50 km/h impact though, the faster the speed the bigger the advantage the Phaeton would have over its "opponent".

I was going to use that video to show how big heavy saloon cars are more compatible with smaller cars than SUVs are with smaller cars. The ADAC carried out another similar test between a Kia Sorento and a Golf Mk5. The Sorento did worse than the Phaeton and the Golf did worse than the Polo. So the Sorento put the Golf occupants in danger while not protecting its own occupants particularly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The lesson is this: Buy the biggest, safest car possible.
    the kinetic energy would be lethal to the occupants.
    That's not true. There was no cabin deformation and the airbags deployed correctly. Both Polo occupants would have survived that crash.

• Advertisement

thats the old d-max model, the ncap website also lists it as not having seatbelt pretensioners or a passenger airbag, both of which the 2010 model has , they havent tested the new one yet
    Is the 2010 a completely different vehicle? Because the one tested in the NCAP is a complete disaster in terms of passive safety, and that's before we even think of the lower levels of active safety compared to a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I think the moral here is if your going to crash, make sure its with something smaller -otherwise your f**ked :D

Barr wrote: »
    I think the moral here is if your going to crash, make sure its with something smaller -otherwise your f**ked :D
    Not at all. The moral is that a large, poorly-designed SUV can be lethal to others while still not protecting its own occupants as well as it should. The only way that Q7 can acquit itself is if it hits a smaller car, making up for its own lack of passive safety with inertia at the expense of the occupants of the other car. It's like having a poorly-paid job but being good at stealing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Confab wrote: »
    The lesson is this: Buy the biggest, safest car possible.

FYP :D

Size doesn't come into it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Confab wrote: »
    That's not true. There was no cabin deformation and the airbags deployed correctly. Both Polo occupants would have survived that crash.

I dunno, Im thinking of the 5th Gear Smart Car test, they crashed it into a concrete barrier and there was no cabin deformation. At first sight you would think that was a good test, but the Safety expert said everyone would have been killed anyway as the rebound would have made mush of the occupants.

The lack of deformation means they werent crushed, not that they are safe. The energy of the impact is still there and its clear the flow of energy was from Phateon to the Polo and not equally split.

Now maybe that specific test the Polo occupants would still survive, but the lack of deformation isnt the be all and end all of crash tests.

EDIT: Though from relooking at the Fiat test, I take back that it faired better than the Polo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Matt Simis wrote: »

The lack of deformation means they werent crushed, not that they are safe. The energy of the impact is still there and its clear the flow of energy was from Phateon to the Polo and not equally split.

+1

Upon collision there is a quantifiable amount of energy that must be/will be dissipated. This will mainly be through two ways (excluding heat and sound as negligible):

1. Motion - both motion of the car and the object (e.g. wall) will dissipate energy. Not what you want, as this energy will act through the passengers in the car.

2. Deformation - The larger the crumple zone, the more of the energy that can be absorbed and hence dissapated. Less energy used in motion then.

So in a car like the smart where there is very little deformation, the energy must still be dissipated and will be done so through motion. So the forces on the driver will likely be much higher and the decceleration experienced greater.

In effect the crumple zone on a car is a pillow albeit not a very soft one! you wanna run into a wall wearing loads of pillows that deform upon impact or run into it without any pillows?!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Mr.David wrote: »
    So in a car like the smart where there is very little deformation, the energy must still be dissipated and will be done so through motion. So the forces on the driver will likely be much higher and the decceleration experienced greater.
    This is true but the smart still protects its occupants well - up to a point. It was designed with an extremely strong passenger compartment and very little crumple zone. The forces experienced by the occupants are managed using the restraint systems. Check out this test where a smart is crashed with an S class and rebounds violently, the occupants still have low risk of injury.

Results (also has Polo and Phaeton results)
    http://www.autocrashtests.de/unterseiten/nc_pa_50_kleinwag.htm

Video

It seems to be the case that manufacturers can afford to make their cars more rigid these days and rely on airbags, pre tensioners, load limiters etc. to reduce the forces on the occupants. So we have strong cars that are reliant on but also compliment the restraint systems. Airbags etc. work best if the passenger compartment keeps its integrity, not much point having an airbag if the steering column ends up behind the drivers head (as happened with some older cars)

Cars up to the early-mid 90s have both weak bodies and poor restraints.

But if the restraints of a modern car don't work correctly and/or the car is involved in a relatively undemanding collision, the occupants may experience higher forces than they would have in an older car. I think that is what this German article is about. An old Renault 19 and new Megane II are crashed separately into an immovable object and the results compared.
    http://www.welt.de/motor/article1244415/Warum_ein_altes_Auto_sicherer_ist_als_ein_neues.html?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dartz wrote: »
    It really illustrates the fallibility of the NCAP system... there are far more variables at play in a crash than Car-V-Block. Never mind that manufacturers can design their cars to do well in NCAP, while still offering poor protection in a real world accident.

Real world accidents are dynamic, especially car-on-car. Different cars have their crash protection at different heights. A car of the same model, lightly loaded and riding even just a little higher than the one it hits, will tend to ride up on top of the car it it's, bypassing the crash protection which is designed around a lower, static concrete block.

5th Gear again.

There's way too many variables in collisions for NCAP to cover them all. But at least the NCAP has stopped manufactures making the passenger compartment the softest part of the car.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is the 2010 a completely different vehicle? Because the one tested in the NCAP is a complete disaster in terms of passive safety, and that's before we even think of the lower levels of active safety compared to a car.

the model they tested was introduced in 2003 and the new model has wheel stops, EBD, dual airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners reinforced side structures and a few other bits, they basically changed it after that NCAP result , heres an australian test on the newer model http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/_scripts/ancap_summary_result.php?IID=2702 thats the base spec so doesnt have EBD afaik , but its still a lot better than the 2 star (1 crossed out) Euro NCAP result for the old model,

• Advertisement
Advertisement