Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan

• 22-07-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi

Im buying a used camper van

Have narrowed it down to 3, need to pick one and get a mechanic over to have a look at it. So...

All are about the same price:

• Merc sprinter - 1996. Looks great inside and out but 210K miles
    • Peugeot J5 - 1994. Again well kitted out and less miles, circa 100K
    • Ford Transit - 1988. Nicely fitted out, bit rusty on the outside and circa 100K on the clock
    I do like the look and feel of the Merc but am I mad buying a van with so much mileage?

Le Blanc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

A lot o them age Mercs will be rusty too . Make sure the engine is tip top too , if it's down on power it can be expensive to put right . TBH at that mileage , unless it's mint , it's likely to be generally "tired" all over.

Pug J5.. that's the Mk1 shape , the 1990-1994 one ? Parts are getting hard to find for them , just recently a fellow Boardie failed to get a gearbox for the 90% identical Ducato!
    They rust a bit too especially through the inner wings , under the windscreen and bottom of the doors . Brake pipes rot on them too . Synchromeshs in the gearbox wears a bit .

1988 Tranny... a good aul slogger , Rust being the main concern . Most likely to have brakes sticking and soggy dampers , but still ticking along . Bit heavier on juice than the others , assuming it's a 2.5 Di . Probably doesn't have Power steering?

Can I ask what your budget is?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Yip, the Transit '88 is a 2.5d. No p/steering.

Peugeot is a 94..well fitted but a seems a bit lumbering. Seller has advised me that "new clutch, brakes and tyres etc. in last two weeks"

Merc: that was my feeling. Body is perfect but obviously want to get it over a mechanics pit.

Budgeted 4K which I know is low enough but all I can really afford for the next year or so. This naturally raises concerns about resale values.

If I put you on the spot which would you lean towards?

Hmm... hard to say without seeing them .Probably the J5 , I like the Ducato type vans . Would you not buy a cheap coach built? They're out there for similar money...

Forgive my ignorance but what is 'coach built'?

PS... also have an Iveco 1996, again with approx 100K miles 2.5 diesel. She was solid on her test drive but the fittings were rather basic. Has the best price though

• Advertisement

PPS...just had a look at some UK sites for campers.. Bloody hell! For similar money I could get a fantastic camper over there. Cant cost that much to bring one over here

Coach built is the typical factory built with the overhang over the cab . We've one here for very little more than your budget...

Got a link to it?

I've yet to see a cheap UK camper that's not red rotten . Cheap as in in sub 10k Euro .

You have PM, we're not supposed to put ads here . Hope that helps .

Advertisement