Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Thread for all Garda Reserve related

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Good to see that after four years of existence, that the GRA have finally accepted the Garda Reserve :).Seriously though when are the GRA going to stop banging on about the Garda Reserve, even if the government were to disband the Garda Reserve in the morning, it would not mean more money to hire full time Gardai, or better equipment for the force. While I am a reserve, I am not an apologist for the Reserve, and realise that the Reserve has many problems, mainly in the line of poor training, insufficient powers and no continuous development. Were the aforementioned issues to be sorted out, I fully believe that the Reserve could become a valuable part of An Garda Siochana despite what our friends in the GRA think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

So close to Christmas this story could have been so different, spare a thought today for the two brave Gardai in Cork. Saving an 87 year old woman's life in a house fire - risking their own and ending up in hospital this morning. One of those was a Reserve Garda. Well done lads.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So close to Christmas this story could have been so different, spare a thought today for the two brave Gardai in Cork. Saving an 87 year old woman's life in a house fire - risking their own and ending up in hospital this morning. One of those was a Reserve Garda. Well done lads.;)

rte news. Thanks again munster4868.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

kerry4sam wrote: »
    rte news. Thanks again munster4868.

“We still do, and for good reason, as the Government teeters on the edge of a sovereignty abyss, the camouflaged use of unpaid, improperly trained volunteers in place of real policing undermines An Garda Síochána.”[/QUOTE]

Will the GRA ever acknowledge the hard work and dedication reserves put in all over the country...Well done lads!

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

“We still do, and for good reason, as the Government teeters on the edge of a sovereignty abyss, the camouflaged use of unpaid, improperly trained volunteers in place of real policing undermines An Garda Síochána.”

Will the GRA ever acknowledge the hard work and dedication reserves put in all over the country...Well done lads![/QUOTE]

We can all do our bit to change hearts and minds within the GRA by doing the best job we can.

There are now 707 fully attested reserve members giving a minimum of 208 hours per year which equals 147056 total hours per year and if you take an average of €55 per hour operating cost (best guess at a full time members total cost prsi/pension/holidays etc) then GR contribution is €8,088,080.00 worth of free labour to the state.

Ok I know it take funds to train and equip GR members but even if we speculate this at €1m you can see that our contibution is enormous.

No arguing with the figures ,we contribute a hell of a lot and in the end that will be seen for what it is ' the willingness to help support our country in a time when she needs all the help she can get'.

So ignore the begruggers and the the nay sayers just do the best you can every shift and be there to support your full time colleagues.

• Advertisement

Raider190 wrote: »
    Will the GRA ever acknowledge the hard work and dedication reserves put in all over the country...Well done lads!

I think your post answers why they don't really care to have us! 147056 hours of lost overtime! Why would you think they are annoyed with the Reserves? For a moment think, you are doing a job, with a nice bit of O/T then 700 people come in a start doing your job for free!!! No more overtime etc etc, what would be the first though that would come into mind!!! After 3.5 years as a reserve I kinda really don't want to rub anyones nose in it, in particular the G.R.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Reserves have no impact on overtime for full time members whatsoever. Anyone who thinks so clearly doesn't understand the role of Reserve Gardai in relation to full time Gardai.

Gardai who are brought in on overtime are usually done so for investigations, special events such as matches or busy nights such as New Years, Halloween etc. Reserve Gardai do not, and cannot act as a replacement for a full time member on overtime because they themselves must be accompanying a Garda at all times. A Garda brought in also has powers of arrest, whereas Reserves have very limited powers that are never really utilised. Any unit would rather have 1 Garda than 10 Reserves.

If you are joining the GR you must understand you are an extra body on the ground, and that is it really. That is the way it should be. If you realise this you will love it, and it is a great way of gaining experience for the full time role.

eroo wrote: »
    Reserves have no impact on overtime for full time members whatsoever. Anyone who thinks so clearly doesn't understand the role of Reserve Gardai in relation to full time Gardai.

Gardai who are brought in on overtime are usually done so for investigations, special events such as matches or busy nights such as New Years, Halloween etc. Reserve Gardai do not, and cannot act as a replacement for a full time member on overtime because they themselves must be accompanying a Garda at all times. A Garda brought in also has powers of arrest, whereas Reserves have very limited powers that are never really utilised. Any unit would rather have 1 Garda than 10 Reserves.

If you are joining the GR you must understand you are an extra body on the ground, and that is it really. That is the way it should be. If you realise this you will love it, and it is a great way of gaining experience for the full time role.

Eroo has hit the nail on the head.O/Time is not an issue for the GR as we dont deprive any full time member. This is the smoke and mirrors negative argument which is used so often to crib and whine about the GR.

We are an extra body to offer assistance and thats it. In my short time with the Reserve I have never deprived a full time member of o/t and I would say that is how it is for all reserves.

Raider190 wrote: »
    Eroo has hit the nail on the head.O/Time is not an issue for the GR as we dont deprive any full time member. This is the smoke and mirrors negative argument which is used so often to crib and whine about the GR.

We are an extra body to offer assistance and thats it. In my short time with the Reserve I have never deprived a full time member of o/t and I would say that is how it is for all reserves.

Exactly!! Perception is everything. If, as you said this is the negative argument put out there, mentioning hours done Free by the Reserves to the state is only Adding to this wrong perception that is out there. And as in my first post, WHY add to this perception by posting such in the first place! I do agree that this is a wrong perception so before you start running down my post, stop!:eek:

Exactly!! Perception is everything. If, as you said this is the negative argument put out there, mentioning hours done Free by the Reserves to the state is only Adding to this wrong perception that is out there. And as in my first post, WHY add to this perception by posting such in the first place! I do agree that this is a wrong perception so before you start running down my post, stop!:eek:

Munster sorry you got the impression I was running down your post, not the case. Like you ,I have an opinion and if it differs from yours then that from my point of view is acceptable. It is a free country and I will excerise my right to post my opinions without fear or favour and not be confined by other peoples agenda's

Whatever the preceptions others may have ,the facts speak for themselves.
    No GR has ever taken overtime from a full time member

Have you ever been asked to come in on the basis that they couldnt get a full time member ? Its never happened to me and expect it never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

Have you ever been asked to come in on the basis that they couldnt get a full time member ? Its never happened to me and expect it never will.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree with you more....

Have you ever been asked to come in on the basis that they couldnt get a full time member ? Its never happened to me and expect it never will.

Couldnt agree with you more....[/QUOTE]

Hands up , has anyone ever been asked this . Seriously , can you imagine any sgt saying this . ........I can't

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Full story of this is on the DIT website with pictures i cannot add them to this post as i have copyright ristrictions because im in DIT and using there database at the minute but full details are on there website if anyones interested in looking up the article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

mmm seems this has caused a problem so i have removed it !

Sorry !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Cheers!!

Advertisement