Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Links & Vendors - 21/07/10

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

After reviewing the old links thread, myself & Witnessmenow have decided the thread had become antiquated, and could do with a rebirth of sorts. Hopefully we can gather some more recent & pertainent links, and establish some good vendors here. This should avoid the forum filling up with "Where can I buy x product" threads, and keep it all in one handy location.

Please note, make sure you have read the forum charter before posting a link, to ensure no rules are broken. So, lets get the ball rolling :)

Links, Guides & Info

PS3 Firmware - List of all past & present PS3 firmware revisions. Also contains download links (Cheers Cisk)
    Mmmonkey - a fantastic collection of all the most popular console mods. Well detailed, good photos, & he updates hit as he goes.
    GameSX.com - another good tech resource, with common mods. There is also a decent forum there for ideas & reference.
    PC and Console to JAMMA - Some great guides on how to mod your consoles for use on an arcade cabinet. Also has some other mods listed & explained with good tut's & pics.
    Llamma - Good site for modding info (Kinetic^)
    PS3 News - PS3 news/info site, with recent console articles also. (Kinetic^)
    XBOX Hard Drive Compatability List - handy chart of known drives which can be used in the XBOX. (Kinetic^)
    Team Xecuter - Well established makers of Xbox modding tools (Kinetic^)
    XBOX Media Center Sticky
    PSP Downgrading/Upgrading Guide - Fantastic guide for everything relating to PSP firmware upgrading/downgrading. This is a direct link to a pdf file, so there is a loading time. (a5y)
    PDRoms - Public Domain Roms, which are freely available to legally download. (a5y)
    The Tech Game - Mostly Xbox360 related, some good info on modding/jtag etc.
    (nbrady20009)
    Jungle Flasher Guide - a direct link to the most recent Jungle Flasher Tutorial, as of 21/7/10 (Antor)
    Xbox360 Disassembly (nbrady20009)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vendors:

Rewind Bits - Great seller for repair parts, all things retro-game, modding equiptment & hard to get oddities. I've personally dealt with Tim and found the service top notch. (PM ME FOR A 10% DISCOUNT CODE FOR USE WITH Rewind Gaming)
    Jandaman - Sometimes he stocks things that are getting hard to find, Saturn Action Replay Carts etc. I've used him a few times in recent years & never had a problem.
    Tototek - Various devices used for running homebrew code on retro consoles. Again I've used these a few times, never had an issue.
    DealExtreme - have used in the past for various things, never had an issue.
    MyMemory - Have used before for flash media, aside from a shipping delay once they've been good to deal with.
    Consolemodz - chilloutman found them great
    Memory Card Zoo Kinky_Slinky has used these, nothing bad to report.
    Gamekool - used by our very own Touching Virus to purchase an Acekard 2i, all would seem well.
    Shoptemp.com - Flash card site, used by Trevor451 with no problems.
    Shop4Memory - flash media vendor, Wez has used and recommends.
    r4i.co.uk - EyesOnly has used multiple times, very highly recommended by him.
    Divineo - Online vendor of all things modder friendly (Kinetic^)
    ChipSpain.com - Online vendor of all things console. (Kinetic^ & Witnessmenow)
    ck3.co.uk - Online vendor of all things 360, very highly recommended by nbrady20009, with a big emphasis on customer service!
    Modsupplier - They have a decent stock of DS service parts, along with other assorted console bits & pieces. A tad pricey, but reportedly reputble.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Collection of tutorials

The following are a collection of useful tutorials and links that will provide you with support for much of your modding needs. The information here is purely educational, and I nor boards.ie support piracy. What you decide to do is on your own back, and the consequences of hacking can range from being banned from XBL to fines and imprisonment. Also homebrew and Xbox Live don't go together, so lets keep it that way. If you wish to take your console online, please use one of these tools. If you have any questions you can pm me here or you will find me over at The Tech Game.

Guide to using Xbins - The manual way to set up Xbins, your one stop shop for all your Xbox, Xbox 360 and Wii download needs. If your hear people talking about downloads being found in "the usual places", they are talking about here.

How To Wire Leds - Tutorial on the theoretical side to wiring LEDs along with some background information.

4 Step Guide To Flashing Xbreboot - The cheapest way to jtag your console using the lpt method and how to install Xbreboot.

Complete Guide To Installing Xbreboot - A much more comprehensive tutorial and plenty of background information and useful links.

FAQ about NAND dumping, JTAG and Homebrew - A selection of FAQ giving you a solid foundation to go on and learn more about the jtag hack.

Efuses - Efuses, the workings and possible uses of efuses.

The Xbox 360 Security System and its Weaknesses - A discussion of the security weaknesses in the 360, how they can/could be exploited and how MS fixed them. Best watched on YouTube itself as the video is bigger there.

Introduction to modding for beginners - The very basics of modding on the 360.

Getting Started with Homebrew on Xbox 360 - Excellent pdf file on the ins and outs of homebrew.

Mod Kit - A handy little tool that combines over 20 programmes for modding on the 360 along with a selection of tutorials on how to use them too.

Xbox 360 PC Tools - This is a guide to most of the tools you will need to use for your Xbox 360 on your pc. You will also find most, if not all of these on Xbins.

If you have updated to dash 8XXX or above - what can you do - An interesting piece outlining how the jtag hack was disabled.

Xbox 360 Dashboard Update Collection - (Download) - Here you can download all previous dashboard updates.

Total Noob Guide To Xbox 360 Firmware - The basics of firmware on the 360 aimed at beginners.

3.5" Hdd Motherboard Modification Tutorial - How to install an external hard drive to the 360.

Xbr To Freeboot With A Xbr Nand Dump - A nice tutorial useful for those that bought Xboxs with Xbr flashed to it, and want to update to the latest version of FreeBoot to keep the online capabilities.

NAND-X Installation Diagrams - A comprehensive guide to dumping your nand using the usb method. This is the only way I would recommend you use.

Building And Using Con/pir Files On The 360 - A tutorial on how to launch homebrew XEXs on your Xbox 360 hard drive.

Soldering Equipment & Advice - Some advice on soldering from Xecuter himself.

Guide to Red Lights of Death - A really useful tutorial on the different error codes experienced by the 360 and how to fix them. Also have a look here for more information on the causes and possible fixes.

How to open the Xbox 360 Slim - The first tutorial I believe on how to open the new Xbox 360 Slim.
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bump before being unstickied

• Registered Users Posts: 13 djreferee

very useful

Advertisement