Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Bounce backs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

STForSale wrote: »

Never ceases to amaze me how people try to run a business using an eircom mail account :confused:

Not just eircom mail accounts. Merely having an eircom connection, and using that to send out mail is enough to drive you mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 estrella_

Eircom support came back and said the issue is caused by using brackets ( ) in emails and to avoid using them. So for now can send email once we leave out the (brackets).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

estrella_ wrote: »
    Eircom support came back and said the issue is caused by using brackets ( ) in emails and to avoid using them. So for now can send email once we leave out the (brackets).

Brackets in the body of the email?

estrella_ wrote: »
    jamesd wrote: »
    Brackets in the body of the email?

I assume they mean in the formatting, because I am pretty sure an actual bracket is an invalid character for an email address.

I think they mean in this instance
    emailname@somedomain
    or
    emailname@somedomain <emailname@somedomain>
    With eircom not liking mails in the second format.

Either of two things happened: when configuring their email program, the sender entered their email address in both the "Name" and "E-mail" fields. Alternately, the email program ignored the "Name", if it even has the ability to use it, and substituted the email name instead.
    So according to eircom, changing the name in your email properties to be your actual name, rather then the email address should sort it.
    Anyone having this issue care to try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jchayes

My company have being experiencing this problem intermittently for a few months now for business to business email - nothing dodgy. We are on routing via eircom smart host.

Generally the pattern is
    1. I can send an email to a customer
    2. Customer replies
    3. I reply or forward to other customer and email gets blocked. The 3rd email is bounced from either by

The following organization rejected your message: avas03.vendorsvc.cra.dublin.eircom.net.

or

The following organization rejected your message: avas01.vendorsvc.cra.dublin.eircom.net.

and states

avas03.vendorsvc.cra.dublin.eircom.net #552 5.2.0 9paP1f00v4YBZim01paSq0 Abusive content detected in your email ##

I contacted eircom a few months ago and the reponse was, "nothing wrong here" no mention of a new filter. I noted the suggestion that hyperlinks in email could cause this, are they suggesting that I ask my customers to change their email footers

In relation to the brackets issue, thats a puzzle, as my Outlook client automatically puts in the name and brackets format, and the initial email gets through.

Anyone have any more info?
    Thanks,
    Conor.

• Advertisement

eircom asked me to send on the email samples, guess what happened....:confused:

jchayes wrote: »
    eircom asked me to send on the email samples, guess what happened....:confused:

hehe maybe fax them in :)
    They have been having this issue for months, I find it hilarious.

From eircom support: "When hyperlink is blacklisted any email containing it will be blocked on our antispam filter and email can not be sent through our mail server. Once hyperlink is whitelisted emails should go through normally." so it seems that most/all hyperlinks are blocked by default, as you can't blacklist everything, pretty remedial I would say...

jchayes wrote: »
    From eircom support: "When hyperlink is blacklisted any email containing it will be blocked on our antispam filter and email can not be sent through our mail server. Once hyperlink is whitelisted emails should go through normally." so it seems that most/all hyperlinks are blocked by default, as you can't blacklist everything, pretty remedial I would say...

So are all hyperlinks blocked or just a list of them? Do they provide a list?
    What is the address to submit whitelisted emails to? Lead time? Seems like a load of codswallop, as alot of people i talk to are having problems sending attachments, but if they send the same mail with no file, it goes through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

This thread came up when I did a search for a problem I had.

Anyway, I eventually isolated the problem that it was the following link:
    http://bit.ly/hAvLon that was the problem.

I'd lots of other bit.ly links in the e-mail so don't know what it was about this one that did it.

Anyway this thread proved useful -thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kangaroo wrote: »

I'd lots of other bit.ly links in the e-mail so don't know what it was about this one that did it.

sounds like there is an overzealous scanner somewhere there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 userindublin

This url sends me to: http://www.imt.ie/clinical/2011/03/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-not-harmful-in-chronic-fatigue.html

Can you post the intended url; we have a customer who's experiencing this exact same problem.

Cheers,

GKS

kangaroo wrote:

This url sends me to: http://www.imt.ie/clinical/2011/03/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-not-harmful-in-chronic-fatigue.html

Can you post the intended url; we have a customer who's experiencing this exact same problem.

Cheers,

GKS
    I'm not sure if you're thinking I made an error. I help run a patient organisation for ME/CFS so that was the correct URL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 userindublin

I'm not sure if you're thinking I made an error. I help run a patient organisation for ME/CFS so that was the correct URL.

Laughs! Yes, after I had my coffee & reread your post, I twigged your meaning! I thought it might be a url to an explanation & resolution - I think the coffee helped get the brain fizzing properly.
    GKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm getting this "abusive content detected" lie when replying to emails (even with a one-line reply) so I'm assuming that eircom's mail server is objecting to the content that they had already sent me (which is included in the reply) even though it's not abusive ?

It also seems to happen more frequently if there's a web link in the email (which they sometimes have in their sigs) even if said website isn't in any way "abusive" or dodgy.

Can eircom sort this out ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm getting this "abusive content detected" lie when replying to emails (even with a one-line reply) so I'm assuming that eircom's mail server is objecting to the content that they had already sent me (which is included in the reply) even though it's not abusive ?

It also seems to happen more frequently if there's a web link in the email (which they sometimes have in their sigs) even if said website isn't in any way "abusive" or dodgy.

Can eircom sort this out ?
    I end up sending quite a few messages from gmail because of this sort of general problem. It's not ideal for me as my main address book is in Outlook.

Advertisement