Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the fek do I go?

Options
2»

Comments

Right, now i'm properly confused.. Already reading up on central america and love the look of it. This thread just might have changed where I end up..

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I always regret not doing something like that but now I'm forty, even though I'm still 20 on the inside. Am I too old and bollocksed to do it?

Depends on your state of mind, If your thinking about it then Im sure you'd be well able for it all. Staying in hostels is one of the keys to meeting people (and saving money) and you do meet people of all ages.
    In some hostels I found that there were quiet a few 'gap year' annoying little Brits running daddys credit card into the ground, but that was mainly in certain parts of Australia, that was the only annoyance I found in hostels.
    You can be as active or chilled out as you like, great cost effective way to see a lot of the world.
    In Japan, jus over two thousand euro a month.. And I think Korea is maybe 1200 or so but living is really cheap. Six or nine months and you'd save enough to head on somewhere else. Been a few months since I checked on it tho so not fully sure on Korean wages..

From what I've seen of the English teachers in Shanghai while I lived there, they drank every red cent that they made, partied and had a ball. Realistically if you just don't dig into your savings while there you would be doing well. Consider it a fun working holiday that is kind of free.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone ever really managed to teach English while travelling? You would have to stay in the same place for at least three months I'd imagine and the options are fairly limited (China, Korea...).

Has anyone ever really managed to teach English while travelling? You would have to stay in the same place for at least three months I'd imagine and the options are fairly limited (China, Korea...).

I know of a fair few people in Korea doing it.. And you're not that limited teaching english.. eastern europe, asia and south america being a few big places.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I always regret not doing something like that but now I'm forty, even though I'm still 20 on the inside. Am I too old and bollocksed to do it?

No. ****, no. I know aguy who did it at forty two. With his wife, Dad, and eight kids. Do it now.

OP: The more "developed" a coutnry is, the more likely you might need a TEFL course. They are expenisve but quick - might be worth looking into doing one before you go?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    No. ****, no. I know aguy who did it at forty two. With his wife, Dad, and eight kids. Do it now.

OP: The more "developed" a coutnry is, the more likely you might need a TEFL course. They are expenisve but quick - might be worth looking into doing one before you go?

Was thinking that.. But was also thinking that I could do one in Thailand.
    If I had known i'd have to leave so soon, i'd have started one already..

I know of a fair few people in Korea doing it.. And you're not that limited teaching english.. eastern europe, asia and south america being a few big places.

I don't remember meeting a single person who was teaching English when I was in South America for six months. There just wasn't the demand for it. Maybe in one of the bigger cities, but then you're stuck in a big city for six months and can't go travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Go anywhere except on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Was thinking that.. But was also thinking that I could do one in Thailand.

Ah... ladyboy, you like? :pac:

On a serious note, South Korea sounds awesome.

I don't remember meeting a single person who was teaching English when I was in South America for six months. There just wasn't the demand for it. Maybe in one of the bigger cities, but then you're stuck in a big city for six months and can't go travelling.

I'm sitting beside a guy in work so taught in Peru for a year while backpacking.. Think it sounds like a great way to do it. But then again, I've never done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I know a mate who landed in south korea with a TEFL cert and he was raging because you can buy them on the sides of roads over there on the cheap. Just another option i guess to save a few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Depends on your state of mind, If your thinking about it then Im sure you'd be well able for it all. Staying in hostels is one of the keys to meeting people (and saving money) and you do meet people of all ages.
    In some hostels I found that there were quiet a few 'gap year' annoying little Brits running daddys credit card into the ground, but that was mainly in certain parts of Australia, that was the only annoyance I found in hostels.
    You can be as active or chilled out as you like, great cost effective way to see a lot of the world.

From what I've seen of the English teachers in Shanghai while I lived there, they drank every red cent that they made, partied and had a ball. Realistically if you just don't dig into your savings while there you would be doing well. Consider it a fun working holiday that is kind of free.

I guess what I'm saying Diabhal is would I look like a fool travelling around doing something that is normally reserved for 25-30 year olds? I can handle the roughing part of it, I just wondered if I'd look out of place. did you ever see anyone 40 doing this type of thing?

I'm sitting beside a guy in work so taught in Peru for a year while backpacking.. Think it sounds like a great way to do it. But then again, I've never done it.

Did he work in the same place for 12 months or move around from school to school?

I don't think you'd look out of place in the slightest.. You're just another person wanting to see the world. And what would it matter.. Life's too short and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Theres a TEFL programme starting in September in Ecuador, I was thinking about it if I don't find a job. We can go together!!

Did he work in the same place for 12 months or move around from school to school?

No idea, he's not in today so can't ask him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Wherever you go my advice would be give mexico a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

I'd personally take South America, though I'm now in Asia and have been for the past 11 months, so perhaps it's a case of the rainforest is always greener on the other side?

Teaching English is a great idea though I think, it looks better on your CV than a year long absence of doing anything, it fills your pocket (a little) rather than emptying it, it's a fantastic experience and you really get to know the place because you live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bread

South America - learn some spanish while you are there - i stayed in Sucre, Bolivia to learn spanish for 2 weeks last year.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Theres a TEFL programme starting in September in Ecuador, I was thinking about it if I don't find a job. We can go together!!

Was chattin to a lad on tuesday who spent some time on the galapogas islands in ecuador.. It sounds like it'd be a great country to see. Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement