Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market not working (stalls on 'starting download...')

Options
  • 20-07-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Anyone else?

I'm using Desire with DJ Droid froyo ROM. And Market Access set to T-Mobile US.

I've managed to get it working a few times by clearing Market cache in Applications Manager, restarting the phone, but the problem persists.

I had actually forgotten about it but have just checked the Market app and there's 5 different apps all "starting download" that must be there for the last few days at least.

Have read this which suggests reverting back to googlemail.com, from gmail.com, but my address has never been googlemail.com so I'm not sure about that.

Very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Mine used to do that on the stock ROM, every now and then the downloads wouldn't start, then after a while it fixed itself every time. Haven't seen it on OpenDesire yet.
    Seeing as it's intermittent, can it be just heavy load on the Market servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I have the same problem for the last while. It's very annoying.
    Sometimes the app will download and hang before installing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mine did this a few times and it was always when I getting the notification for low memory which comes on when phone memory gets to about 15 mb so check that out.

Making more space always does the trick for me but its getting annoying having to free space all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Happened to me over the weekend. Discovered that I didn't have too much phone memory left as I'd downloaded google earth last week. When it went to update some of my apps it wouldn't do so. Uninstalled a few unused apps and problem was solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That could be it. I've got the low space warning. 12.4mb on phone... should be enough tbh! But I'll try removing something.

That really is the worst thing about these phones :-/. Sooner more apps support froyo's apps2sd the better.

Edit:: Crazy. Freed up some space by moving more apps to the SD card.. and yup, downloading and installing apps! But also, an email that I sent to myself finally got through (lucky I don't email from the phone very often!) and Chrome2Phone has started working again.

I hate to think all that stuff stops working eveytime I'm a bit low on space. Could be time to look for a new rom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i'm getting the same thing on the madaco froyo rom, i've 40mb of free space left....seems to be hit and miss though. Have to keep cancelling the download, and restarting it....

Seems to be working okay for me today - I deleted my Davlik cache (it also got rid of the low space message, and the problem I had with my gmail/twitter/facebook accounts not syncing).

Seems to be working okay for me today - I deleted my Davlik cache (it also got rid of the low space message, and the problem I had with my gmail/twitter/facebook accounts not syncing).

What is stored in the Davlik cache?

Dunno actually, but I do remember reading somewhere about deleting it as a troubleshooting step. But anyway it didn't fix the problem - tried updating a few more apps and they're just hanging (though it did solve my other problems).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

FYI, here is some info about the Dalvik-cache.

• Advertisement

lots of threads on google support forums about this issue.

Its annoying, spent about 20 minutes trying to updqte handcent sms earlier this evening...:(

lots of developers complaining about cancelled purchases, people bought apps, couldn't download and then cancelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm finding that the updates appear keep re-suggesting the same updates. I'm not sure completely but I often have a sense of deja-vu when it comes to some of the update notes and versions in the update descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm finding that the updates appear keep re-suggesting the same updates. I'm not sure completely but I often have a sense of deja-vu when it comes to some of the update notes and versions in the update descriptions.
    The versions would be weird, but the notes are manual, so if the developer doesn't bother to update them, they just stay the same

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Make sure port 443 isn't screwed up on your router and that your gmail account is successfully authenticated.

Advertisement