Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Surfboard

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,
    I was thinking of buying a short board, im fairly new to surfing been at it less that two years and have only recently begun turning into the face off the wave, yes i know i suck but i was thinking of getting a new board one which could allow me to turn (snap) that bit more quickly one with more control,

I currently ride a circle one heritage 7'2",21 1/4", 2 1/4", its a tri fin set up but i have removed the center fin because i find it easier to turn and prefer the driftier feel!

Any suggestions? all info appreciated! :) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

I'm in exactly the same situation. Tho I'm riding a 7'6". Be interested to hear the responses to this.

And what would removing the centre fin achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

Gary elkerton pro surfer from a few years back once said
    "im trying to work on getting to the right part of the wave at the right time"
    This is a man who was at the top of his game and he still talked about how he was still learning to improve his surfing. Its a constant process.

Getting a shorter board will help for sure but depends on your body weight etc as to what size shortbaord you should go for im 5'9 and about 75 kilos and my first step down baord was 6'10 ( was probably about 65 kilos when i got that though!) which i still have but if you re comfortable on a 7'2 then something in the 6'5 range should be grand for you. you could go smaller but i think there something to be said for getting a board with a bit more volume, that paddles a buit better and and something that ultimately you can be confident in taking out in big surf.
    There is NOTHING worse than being undergunned in big surf and your are probably better to be on a board a little to big for conidtions than a bit too small. You should be able to master snaps/carves on a 6'6.
    best advice: talk to a shaper and be honest about your ability and your goals, (which you seem to have sussed!) and get a board shaped for your needs

Going back to gary elkerton...theres no point setting yourself for an almighty snap out on the shoulder as theres no power from the wave to push you through the turn. try focusing on drawing out your bottom turns a bit more and try surf closer to the pocket by aiming to surf more top to bottom, rather flying down the line and trying a failed cutback which inevitably we all do [guilty as charged]:o

taking out yer middle fin loosens the board quite a bit as you have less resistance through a turn, thus making it more loose or 'skatey' but i think it will probably sacrifice some drive out of the bottom unless your board is meant to be ridden as a twin fin.
    also it will mean your board is more likely to slide out in hollower waves, as you have less of a hold in the face of the wave i wouldnt bank on making too many barrels riding your mini mal as a twin fin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cableguy4

I'm in exactly the same situation. Tho I'm riding a 7'6". Be interested to hear the responses to this.

And what would removing the centre fin achieve?

gumbynation answers the question in the last paragraph there, i find it a lot easier to immediately turn as i catch the wave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cableguy4

Thanks a mill man that helps alot, im about 5' 11 or so and under 10stone pretty light guy, so a 6'5" board sounds right, i was thinking hard rails i hear they help for manoveability!?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Don't worry about rail shapes. That's what shapers are for. Find a shaper you can talk to and leave them at it.

A lot of the shortboarding mates swear by this lad www.aorsurfboards.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

Don't worry about rail shapes. That's what shapers are for. Find a shaper you can talk to and leave them at it.

+1
    glide (who is on this forum) does custom shapes at good prices also.

if you are buying a standard thruster the rails shouldnt be an issue i think they all tend for follow a similar formula, softer at the front tapering towards hard at the back so ye can turn that bit quicker off yer back foot..
    I imagine if you had hard rails all along your rail you would be fairly prone to bogging turns. but in any case as low pockets pointed out, you shouldnt be bothering about trying to plan your new baord down to that level of detail, speak to a shaper, be honest about where you are at and where you want to go and let them come up with a board design for you.
    dont forget to sign the save crab/doolin petition!

Advertisement