Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry to Dublin train hits herd of cattle

Options
  • 18-07-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

They really should've mooooooved out of the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Don't tell me that's ANOTHER 22K going to be laid up for months! Let's not forget what happened to the first Mk4 when it was on trials - that took a LONG time to repair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭glanman

dowlingm wrote: »
    Don't tell me that's ANOTHER 22K going to be laid up for months! Let's not forget what happened to the first Mk4 when it was on trials - that took a LONG time to repair...

Who gives a f**k about the train, what about them animals killed here and the farmer who has lost some of his herd...

Thankfully nobody has been hurt on the train as far as can be made out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

glanman wrote: »
    Who gives a f**k about the train, what about them animals killed here and the farmer who has lost some of his herd... Thankfully nobody has been hurt on the train as far as can be made out

a) I suspect the train is worth an awful lot more than a few cows.

b) There will be more expense if the train has to be repaired and is kept out of service for a while.

c) It's the farmers legal responsibility to properly fence his land and stop his animals getting onto the track. so there's a good chance it's his own fault his cows were struck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=850

Train able to continue according to the above so it can't have been too bad - I wouldn't like to have been the driver of a 22000 meeting a herd of cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Cattle mustn’t have herd the train coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Cattle mustn’t have herd the train coming.
    robbie_998 wrote: »

God you two are milking this one for all its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

That sounds pretty horrible. It must have created a bit of a mess. The train must be ok I guess though. This is a Sunday only service so I'm not sure which route it normally serves but it should be two three car sets.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=850

Train able to continue according to the above so it can't have been too bad - I wouldn't like to have been the driver of a 22000 meeting a herd of cattle.

Faring replacement, probably cost an arm and a leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sunday service so probably happened at a gated farm crossing and would't surprise me if the farmer rang the appropriate number to check for oncoming trains only to get no answer because the solitary operator was on a break or in the loo. This has happened all to often before usually with the cork train!

Hopefully it will all come out in the RAIU report?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sunday service so probably happened at a gated farm crossing and would't surprise me if the farmer rang the appropriate number to check for oncoming trains only to get no answer because the solitary operator was on a break or in the loo. This has happened all to often before usually with the cork train!

No excuse, if there was any doubt he shouldnt have gone near the line, even if he followed a time table, trains get delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

robbie_998 wrote: »

Get your coat!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

But when Irish rail offer a 24/7 service to check that there are no changes delays etc surely they should employ the proper number of staff to man the phones? The only dangers here are created by Irish rail who again would rather have customers put through an abbattoir type situation rather than spend a bit on customer and farmer safety! WOuld you be saying the same if the farmer was also killed?
    No excuse, if there was any doubt he shouldnt have gone near the line, even if he followed a time table, trains get delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Perhaps the cows made their way onto the track of their own accord?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

In which case the farmer is at fault for not erecting a barrier sufficient to prevent them doing so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scien wrote: »
    Just got a text off my mate saying the Kerry to Dublin train has hit a herd of cattle outside Thurles. Apparently one is stuck under the train and they are awaiting maintenance.
    they can fix cows - wow :p

That would be his problem, in the old days if a motorist hit a car the motorist paid, that has changed. It is up to the farmers now to secure their cattle. Its also up to the farmer to make sure he has third party liability insurance for his livestock, I am not sure if this is compulsory but they would be fools not to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

foggy_lad wrote: »
    But when Irish rail offer a 24/7 service to check that there are no changes delays etc surely they should employ the proper number of staff to man the phones? The only dangers here are created by Irish rail who again would rather have customers put through an abbattoir type situation rather than spend a bit on customer and farmer safety! WOuld you be saying the same if the farmer was also killed?

Where on earth do you get this rubbish about a phone not being answered being a factor in this crash? :mad::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

they can fix cows - wow :p

Yes, they're called vets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

glanman wrote: »
    Who gives a f**k about the train, what about them animals killed here and the farmer who has lost some of his herd...

Thankfully nobody has been hurt on the train as far as can be made out
    Does the farmer have insurance that IR can claim off ?

There have been several fatal train incidents because of cows before

at least these days we can do DNA tracing of the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Lucky it was worse

hope the cows were ok

If there is a system in place where the farmer obtains a go before crossing the line, IE's failure to answer the phone is surely not license for the farmer to cross anyway. Yes, it's unfair on the farmer and no doubt IF this was a factor in this crash Tricky Dicky might reflect on how much busted 22Ks cost over the cost of hiring enough staff in the dept which answers that phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dowlingm wrote: »
    If there is a system in place where the farmer obtains a go before crossing the line, IE's failure to answer the phone is surely not license for the farmer to cross anyway. Yes, it's unfair on the farmer and no doubt IF this was a factor in this crash Tricky Dicky might reflect on how much busted 22Ks cost over the cost of hiring enough staff in the dept which answers that phone.

I think before we start going down the road of apportioning blame and starting personal attacks on people it might be better to wait until the facts come out.

Only one person here has alleged that phones might not have been answered, and to be honest I'd take that sort of speculation with a grain of salt.

Just my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

KC61 - its clear the cows were in the wrong and not the train
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

KC61 - its clear the cows were in the wrong and not the train
    :D:D:D

With due respect Cookie Monster do have to make a joke out of everything?

Serious damage was done to the train apparently and a farmer has lost a lot of livestock.

I don't know who is to blame and nor do any other of the posters here. For people to start jumping to conclusions and start making allegations about phones not being answered or to start getting personal about the CEO without any idea of the facts is going too far in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

KC61 wrote: »

Serious damage was done to the train apparently and a farmer has lost a lot of livestock.

I don't know who is to blame and nor do any other of the posters here. For people to start jumping to conclusions and start making allegations about phones not being answered or to start getting personal about the CEO without any idea of the facts is going too far in my opinion.

Dont have a cow man:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

KC61 wrote: »
    Ah lighten up, its an internet forum, not a court room
    Maybe I spend too much time in AH

No-one was killed or seriously injured, damage can be fixed and cows replaced. Thats what insurance is there for.

People were discussing possibilities, not making allegations. If there were cows on the line it is the farmers fault one way or the other. He is supposed to control his animals, which he clearly was not doing. It is his responsibility to ensure gates are closed, fences are not broken, that the line is 100% clear when/if moving stock. Even if someone else left the gate open while rambling through his land, its still his responsibility even if it is totally unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mayor Adam West

Maybe they need to beef up safety & security on the lines......

Anyhow.......moooooving on....

:rolleyes:

Advertisement