Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Fizzy water not great for you?

Options
  • 18-07-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Im a big fan. Is it a lot better to just drink still?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Sparkling waters are considered to be potentially erosive to teeth, and thus may contribute to dental caries - just as other fizzy drinks are. Other than that, fizzy water is exactly the same as still water.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thanks for that. i think ill start swapping for still then in that case :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

teacosy wrote: »
    just as other fizzy drinks are

Other fizzy drinks happen to be loaded with dissolved sugar, which I would imagine is the real concern for your teeth. The extremely mild acid formed in carbonated water couldn't possibly be a serious concern. Orange juice would probably be far more acidic.

Zillah wrote: »
    Other fizzy drinks happen to be loaded with dissolved sugar, which I would imagine is the real concern for your teeth. The extremely mild acid formed in carbonated water couldn't possibly be a serious concern. Orange juice would probably be far more acidic.

True, there's a scale alright, and fizzy water would be at the mild end. Also, knocking back a glass of juice would be better on teeth than say, sipping on fizzy water throughout the day, as the frequency of contact is one of the most important factors.
    Oral health promoters tend to recommend just plain water or milk as the best drinks for teeth. If you do use other drinks frequently through the day, it's not a bad idea to use a straw, as this helps to reduce contact with teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

isn't the fizzy stuff much higher in sodium content ?

I know its a complete no no for babies - only evian it seems due to sodium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Im a big fan. Is it a lot better to just drink still?

I stopped drinking when someone told me that it was even worse for causing cellulite than diet coke.. i take it from your username though that you're a man, and therefore cellulite not a concern!

It is definitely higher in sodium though- that's for sure.

Short answer is YES, still is much better for you.. but all the same, sparkling water better than no water! Maybe mix it up, have sparkling on the days when you're feeling a bit pathetic and cant face the other stuff??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I stopped drinking when someone told me that it was even worse for causing cellulite than diet coke.. i

To put your mind at ease - that's ridiculous.

Regards dental erosion - give this a read - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11556958

ULstudent wrote: »
    To put your mind at ease - that's ridiculous.

eh, why? it has been proven that carbonated drinks cause cellulite, so why wouldnt sparkling water??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenasil

Depending on what you mean by fizzy water, the answer will vary quite a bit.
    Some will simply be water with CO2 added. Others have flavourings, sweeteners, and other things added too.
    Something to keep in mind with the sodium question is that water, depending on its source, varies in sodium content. (Other mineral content such as calcium, potassium, etc vary too) Personally, I don't worry over the mineral content of my water since vegetables have much higher concentrations of minerals. e.g. A medium size carrot has 42mg sodium, 20mg calcium, 195mg of potassium
    To the cellulite question: It's the artificial sweeteners in drinks that have been linked to cellulite/weight gain/cancer/you name it. The studies vary in findings, but my thought is this: Lab created chemicals can't be something your body knows how to deal with.
    Given an option, I'd pass on any added sweeteners. My personal fave is plain sparkling water and a (small) splash of fruit juice.

I nerded out a bit here, but I made a table of info on a variety of waters and other drinks. Check it out here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApMQG1KjbM_qdGdTVVZLZGY2Q1JXTW1PZklsVU1pamc&hl=en&authkey=CLSx4r0N
    short link: http://bit.ly/aRzZkx

Cheers

Disclaimer:
    I am not an expert. The info here is readily available via Google search.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Got a file not found on that link. :(

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »

yeah me too.. maybe you can copy and paste some of the highlights? would be very interested to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenasil

Khannie wrote: »
    fixed the link. sorry bout that. :-/

greenasil wrote: »
    fixed the link. sorry bout that. :-/

thats very good greenasil tks..

twas actually specifically san pelligrino was the one that i heard contributed to cellulite as it happens

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Have you a link to that perchance wonkagirl? The idea that carbonated water adds cellulite more than non-carbonated equivalent hurts my brain a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I just thought the idea of sparkling water causing cellulite seemed grade a mad. Il read the link though and of course, open to correction if it has been proven scientifically.

twas another forum as far as i recall

but, any 'treat cellulite' advice will tell you the same kind of stuff- cut down on coffee, alcholol, carbonated drinks..

have also heard that cabonated drinks zap the body of calcium, therefore contributing to osteoperosis? that i'm sure must be either fact or fiction- the cellulite theory would be much harder to prove and cellulite is caused by a myriad of factors, including smoking and general toxicity.

twas another forum as far as i recall

but, any 'treat cellulite' advice will tell you the same kind of stuff- cut down on coffee, alcholol, carbonated drinks..

have also heard that cabonated drinks zap the body of calcium, therefore contributing to osteoperosis? that i'm sure must be either fact or fiction- the cellulite theory would be much harder to prove and cellulite is caused by a myriad of factors, including smoking and general toxicity.

You seriously need to put some effort into checking out things people tell you. You're the epitome of our current generation: Following fads and spreading rumours without ever doing any research.

No, carbonation does not cause cellulite.

Nor does fizzy water cause loss of calcium.

There is no feasbile means by which adding Co2 to normal water would cause problems. Learn science people. Ideally before you try and talk science.

I heard that fizzy water causes AIDS. Go tell all your friends.

New footage shows that a bottle of carbonated water killed JFK. Post this to Facebook ASAP so all your friends can tell their friends about the danger.

How are the chill pills going down zillah??

relax, will you? this is a forum, where people share ideas- i didnt realise everything that was uttered here had to have scientific facts backing it up.

I dont care what ANYONE says to me, fizzy water is NOT a good alternative to still water. Fizzy water bloats me like nobody's business.

jesus, the amateur dramatics!!:confused:

• Advertisement

The "fizzy water causes osteoporosis" thing is possibly the Chinese whispers effect of the numerous studies which show an inverse relationship between the consumption of carbonated beverages and milk intake,which can have a deleterious effect on the attainment of peak bone mass in young children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Last year I took a notion to drink loads of fizzy water - about 2L a day. I got absolutely horrendous headaches which stopped as soon as I ceased drinking fizzy water.

Haven't touched the stuff since!

i didnt realise everything that was uttered here had to have scientific facts backing it up.

It's a nutrition forum...what else could we reasonably base things on?

My antics are entirely professional I'll have you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

cellulite caused by fizzy water. I think I have heard it all now.

It is fine to drink, although I didnt know about the teeth, however it must be much better than diet fizzy drinks and almost as good as still as it can have sodium in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How are the chill pills going down zillah??

relax, will you? this is a forum, where people share ideas- i didnt realise everything that was uttered here had to have scientific facts backing it up.

I dont care what ANYONE says to me, fizzy water is NOT a good alternative to still water. Fizzy water bloats me like nobody's business.

lol it was you that said it was proven to cause cellulite,

what proof, em, somebody said it and I swallowed

well, you've all converted me. I'm now bathing in fizzy water, brushing my teeth in it, hey, i'm even thinking of washing the CAR In it, to get a better shine! thank god for cheap LIDL water!!

Advertisement