Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAULTY HP LAPTOPS

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sqwarez

El Gato wrote: »
    Reballing a solder is not a job I would like to do myself & I have been in computing (both hardware & software) for many years.

While professional reball requires infrared BGA oven equipment, many people have also done it with a heatgun, stencil and solder balls.
    You can get leaded solder balls which are much better, about .6mm, original electronics are all lead free now but its very bad and weak for hot parts like GPU.

Its not an easy thing at all but if you have no other options its worth trying.

Also there is the very common reflow method AKA "baking" Although this is much more effective and easy with a heatgun. Dont hold it too close to the motherboard, and use aluminum foil to protect everything but the GPU chip.

Reflow as it does not replace the solder is not considered to be permanent fix, but usually works for some time and people have success of 3 or 4 months. Reball, although it works very well, is not really permanent either - it wasn't just the solder that failed, but something called the 'underfill' of the chip which cannot be replaced.

Advertisement