Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Correct, you have to ask them to be setup for it, then they send you a form. It'll be my first year doing it this year too so blind leading the blind.

The form seems to just ask for a total gain, is that right that you don't need to list the transactions (obviously keeping the record for 7 years yourself anyway)?

After you asked them to set you up, did it add a new option on your Revenue online account to make payments? (since payment is due before you actually file your CGT return)

(same here, rather new to this)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bob24 wrote: »
    After you asked them to set you up, did it add a new option on your Revenue online account to make payments? (since payment is due before you actually file your CGT return)

(same here, rather new to this)

I can't remember if it was there before or not so maybe you can check yours.

On ROS, login and select:
    - Payments/Repayments section --> Make a Payment
    - Select the radio button for Tax, then select Next
    - First option is then Capital Gains Tax - hit Add a Payment alongside that

I don't understand the timelines, it looks like we need to make the payment by 15th December, but have to report the calculation of the payment by October 2021. I won't breach the threshold this year (writing off against a loss) so will just be completing a form by next October.

Here's the mail I got from ROS
    I have updated our records and have recorded you for Capital Gains Tax. You will have the ability to make payments towards your CGT taxhead on your myAccount by selecting 'Make a Payment' under the Payments/Repayments tile on your myAccount.

Any gains or losses made on the disposal of an asset or assets can be declared when completing your Capital Gains Tax return (CG1 form).

Please be advised, for disposals made in the initial period of the tax year (01/01 - 30/11) you must pay CGT by 15/12 of the same year. For disposals made in the later period of the tax year (01/12 - 31/12) you must pay CGT by 31/01 of the next year.

I have attached a copy of a CG1 form for your convenience. Please be advised, you must complete and submit your CG1 form by 31/10 of the year following the disposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tamova

I can't remember if it was there before or not so maybe you can check yours.

On ROS, login and select:
    - Payments/Repayments section --> Make a Payment
    - Select the radio button for Tax, then select Next
    - First option is then Capital Gains Tax - hit Add a Payment alongside that

I don't understand the timelines, it looks like we need to make the payment by 15th December, but have to report the calculation of the payment by October 2021. I won't breach the threshold this year (writing off against a loss) so will just be completing a form by next October.

Here's the mail I got from ROS

Hey man, thanks for the above. It seems pretty crazy that I have to apply to pay a tax... Anyway, you said you won't reach the threshold this year, but do you have gains that are under the 1270 euro threshold? I understood that if I sold my shares, even if I'm under the threshold, I had to file this with revenue? (see relevant article: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/must-you-file-a-cgt-return-if-no-tax-is-due-1.3342384)

Also, side note, you mentioned they emailed you? Do I have to physically submit this TR1 form (https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form-tr1.pdf) via the post or can I email it to them?

tamova wrote: »
    Hey man, thanks for the above. It seems pretty crazy that I have to apply to pay a tax... Anyway, you said you won't reach the threshold this year, but do you have gains that are under the 1270 euro threshold? I understood that if I sold my shares, even if I'm under the threshold, I had to file this with revenue? (see relevant article: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/must-you-file-a-cgt-return-if-no-tax-is-due-1.3342384)
    Yes, but I file my return for 2020 by October 2021. So I'll do that in January
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/when-and-how-do-you-pay-and-file-cgt.aspx

Also, side note, you mentioned they emailed you? Do I have to physically submit this TR1 form (https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form-tr1.pdf) via the post or can I email it to them?
    I haven't figured that out yet. I had to email (through ROS website) to get setup to pay CGT, I now need to figure out how to get the form compelted. I have a contact who I'll pick the brains of and repost once I figure it out.

Yes, but I file my return for 2020 by October 2021. So I'll do that in January
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/when-and-how-do-you-pay-and-file-cgt.aspx

I haven't figured that out yet. I had to email (through ROS website) to get setup to pay CGT, I now need to figure out how to get the form compelted. I have a contact who I'll pick the brains of and repost once I figure it out.

I thought that if you sold your shares this year before October they had to be done by December of that year, and if sold after December, January of the following? Is that wrong.

Cheers big time for coming back on the above, I want to sell some shares to avail of the 1270 threshold for this tax year so I'm worried I won't have it done in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I thought that if you sold your shares this year before October they had to be done by December of that year, and if sold after December, January of the following? Is that wrong.

Cheers big time for coming back on the above, I want to sell some shares to avail of the 1270 threshold for this tax year so I'm worried I won't have it done in time.

If you sell between Jan and Nov you pay CGT by 15th Dec. If you sell in Dec then pay by 31st Jan 2021. You still have time to use your allowance until end of Dec.

Filing then for 2020 is by Oct 2021...send the CG1 form to your revenue office by post. Form 12 if you're PAYE and need to file a tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You have to pay CGT by those dates. You have til August to file your CG1.

Perfect, thanks both. First step is to get set up to be able to pay the CGT on Revenue, so will work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Bob24 wrote: »
    You probably need to ask Revenue to be registered for CGT.
    Correct, you have to ask them to be setup for it

Do you also need to ask Revenue to be registered for ETF tax? I can't see any obvious option on ROS to pay for this.
    Correct, you have to ask them to be setup for it, then they send you a form.

Did they send you the CG1 form, or the Form 11?

I think I'll have to file a Form 11 (or Form 12) anyway as I have other taxes to claim and declare, but not sure if I need to also file the CG1 on top of the Form 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Most of my current stock holdings are below the BEP at the moment. Am I right in saying I should realise the losses before the end of the year in order to carry them forward for CGT off-set purposes? Kind of like a bed and breakfasting of losses.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Most of my current stock holdings are below the BEP at the moment. Am I right in saying I should realise the losses before the end of the year in order to carry them forward for CGT off-set purposes? Kind of like a bed and breakfasting of losses.
    Would ya not just hold them until they are profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

No I think the only advantage you realising your losses would be if you have alot of gains you want to offset and want to push your cgt bill down the road abit more. And if you were to do this be careful that you didn't buy any of them shares within 4wks, otherwise you cannot use that loss to offset a gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Would ya not just hold them until they are profitable?
    Timmaay wrote: »
    No I think the only advantage you realising your losses would be if you have alot of gains you want to offset and want to push your cgt bill down the road abit more. And if you were to do this be careful that you didn't buy any of them shares within 4wks, otherwise you cannot use that loss to offset a gain.

I can only see further losses in the next month, that's why I'm thinking why not realise the loss now and take the chance at buying them lower again in 4 weeks. I would get the benefit of the CGT off-set and the opportunity of buying at a lower price. The only risk being an upward spike in the meantime, which I can't see happening.

I can only see further losses in the next month, that's why I'm thinking why not realise the loss now and take the chance at buying them lower again in 4 weeks. I would get the benefit of the CGT off-set and the opportunity of buying at a lower price. The only risk being an upward spike in the meantime, which I can't see happening.

As Timaaay said, you need to have held them for 28 days to count for CGT. So if you're looking to offset, don't sell before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

I sold a Stock on Monday the 30th of November.
    What tax year is this in?

Also I made a profit but it is under the CGT amount. Do I have to file anything with revenue? I'm finding conflicting/confusing information.

I have read the previous pages and even then I'm still confused.

Edit: So of I'm reading everything correctly I don't have to make a CGT payment on December 15th as I'm under the threshold. But I have to file a CGT return for the year of 2020 by October 2021?

This sound correct?

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    I sold a Stock on Monday the 30th of November.
    What tax year is this in?

Also O made a profit but under the CGT amount. Do I have to file anything with revenue? I'm finding conflicting/confusing information.

pay by 15th of december this year but you're under the CGT allowance so no action required, it's advised you file by october 31st despite not having a chargeble gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Bob Harris wrote: »
    pay by 15th of december this year but you're under the CGT allowance so no action required, it's advised you file by october 31st despite not having a chargeble gain

File for CGT return by October 31st 2021 is it?

So Every October you file a return for the entirety of the previous year?

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    File for CGT return by October 31st 2021 is it?

So Every October you file a return for the entirety of the previous year?

yeah, the tax year is 1/1 to 31/12 for gains from the 1/1 to the 30/11 to pay by the 15/12 for gain 1/12 to 31/12 you pay by the 15/01 the next year .... the return has to be in by the 31/10 the following year

I have a CGT loss via work sticks to declare this year, does that get declared on the same form?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Amateur investor here.if I want to short a stock (Tesla) how do I go about it ?I'm with Davy select
    Apologies if this has been already answered

• Advertisement

richie123 wrote: »
    Amateur investor here.if I want to short a stock (Tesla) how do I go about it ?I'm with Davy select
    Just don't

Just don't
    I'm not just wondering how it's done.

I'm not just wondering how it's done.
    I don't know how you do it via Davy, just giving advice:
    - Tesla is one of the most famously shorted companies ever, nobody has ever got it right. You're basically going with a strategy of "it has to go down eventually".
    - Shorting can result in unlimited losses. It's not suitable for someone who refers to themselves as an "Amateur investor"

Just me 10c. If you want to do it, ring Davy, I'm sure they'd be happy to arrange.

Ah here I'm mad about Tesla being following that company for years and I'm fair sorry I diddnt chance a few shares in the early days .
    But it's one massive bubble now that's gonna pop .it's as obvious as night following day ..maybe I'm wrong:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

But when is it going go pop Richie? 1,2,3 ,5 years? Will its share price have trebled by then?

Time of entry is critical and really anyones guess otherwise wed all be multi millionaires

Ah here I'm mad about Tesla being following that company for years and I'm fair sorry I diddnt chance a few shares in the early days .
    But it's one massive bubble now that's gonna pop .it's as obvious as night following day ..maybe I'm wrong:)

One of the worlds most famous short sellers stopped his short position yesterday
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-stock-price-bear-jim-chanos-short-painful-reduce-long-2020-12-1029862928

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I’m going to assume it’s the same for all. You will need to set up a margin account. The idea being that you can have infinite loss with shorting. So you would need to see what Davy requires for that. I think most US brokers say you need 2000 or 100 pct of the securities. If you are flagged as a day trader you need to maintain 25000 in your account.

I’d say have a look at FINRA as all US security trading will need to follow those rules.

So what could happen with Tesla is you short a 100 at 430 and it jumps to 565. You’re broker would require you to buy to cover if you don’t have that valuation in your account (margin call).

If you do do it, definitely set a stop loss!

Another famous investor is short Tesla at the minute Michael burry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Another famous investor is short Tesla at the minute Michael burry.

He’ll probably be right eventually. But when it comes to the saying “the market can remain irrational longer that you can remain solvent”, I think Michael Burry has more experience and firepower than everyone on this thread combined when it comes to remaining solvent while waiting of the market to come to its senses :-)

Advertisement