Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a good cardio + weights cutting routing?

• 14-07-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a program suitable for cutting fat.

I used to do starting strength type stuff in the gym with very little cardio but haven't been to the gym for 4 or 5 months as I couldn't afford the membership.

Recently I've started running, mostly for fitness but also to help burn calories. I've built it up to being able to run 5 km without stopping.

So I joined a gym again the week before last. I was thinking about going for a run on the off days and doing something similar to SS 3 days a week, but not worrying about the increments etc.

I'm going to aim for 1.5 to 2 lb per week, have been making an effort to keep the diet clean lately. Hoping to lose 12 - 14 lb maybe altogether and then reassess my goals.

The thing is I don't know if doing the starting strength type workout is the best idea seeing as I'm going to be on a relatively large calorie deficit.

Also when I stared back I found doing the 5km run and weights fairly tough on the body, but I know this may be just severe DOMs because of the long lay off.

So just wondering if anyone has thoughts on a good / better strategy for cutting. I know I'm probably not going to be able to regain the strength I had before whilst I'm cutting so the weights are primarily to minimise muscle loss.
    Should I just try stick to this or maybe do something like crossfit? Or something different?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Firstly, a routine is no good if you diet isn't in order.

And;
    dioltas wrote: »
    I'm going to aim for 1.5 to 2 lb per week, have been making an effort to keep the diet clean lately.
    the above doesn't exactly sound full of confidence.

Post your full diet for a typical day. Everything.
    Then worry about routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

I'll post it up later. I'm at work at the moment.

When I said trying to keep it clean I meant that the end of last week it slipped because my girlfriend was visiting and went to a bbq and was drinking etc.. But other than that I've cut out bars, taytos, almost all bread. Just have to watch myself at the weekends.

I do usually have a bag of hula hoops once or twice a week though :pac:

I have about about 1900 - 2000 kcal a day. I think it's still probably carb heavy as I have stuff like oats, brown pasta, potatoes.

Was just looking for opinions about the workout routine as I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Thanks for the reply, I'll post it up properly after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Go on a keto diet for a few weeks. You can't have ANYTHING but omega 6 eggs (say 3 of them and two normal egg whites in an omelette), nuts (almonds or cashews), meat so steak etc, chicken, fish and green veg and water/black coffee for food and drink, multi vitamin tabs and protein shakes. After 14 days you can have what you like within an hour so a large dominos and ben & jerry's or whatever you like but it has to be consumed within an hour and then you stop.

Cardio 3-5 times a week and that diet and you'd lose over a stone in 3-4 weeks. I did anyway although I did weights too with all the above.

Advertisement