Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Tester

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I recommend you take the time to complete a proper course and learn as much as you can on your own while you're there. There is no shortcut to becoming a (decent) software developer that I'm aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 33 M7edShin

I recommend you take the time to complete a proper course and learn as much as you can on your own while you're there. There is no shortcut to becoming a (decent) software developer that I'm aware of

Thank you, I am doing the course have got 2 yrs ahead... I know there is no shortcut ( I know it takes a while )..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

M7edShin wrote: »
    Thank you, I am doing the course have got 2 yrs ahead... I know there is no shortcut ( I know it takes a while )..

Also be aware that any course is likely to only expose you to a small subset of the technologies that you need in the real world and the stuff you learned in year 1 or 2 might be out of date by the time you graduate.

Look through the job advertisments and see what technology apears again and again and learn that along with your course.
    If you do that, at the end of the 2 years you will be miles ahead of the competition.

For instance you might be learning C# but a huge number of jobs out there want experience using Entity Framework, nhibernate and SQL to go along with your C# skills. The core language is just the base skill. The extras are what make you desireable and pay €€€.

Also try and build and KEEP (I managed to lose all my college projects which were stored on a portable hard disk) a portfolio of projects that you work on throughout the next 2 years. Host them on github or something similar. As your skills improve you can then share this archive with potential employers to display your skills.

Also be aware that any course is likely to only expose you to a small subset of the technologies that you need in the real world and the stuff you learned in year 1 or 2 might be out of date by the time you graduate.

Look through the job advertisments and see what technology apears again and again and learn that along with your course.
    If you do that, at the end of the 2 years you will be miles ahead of the competition.

For instance you might be learning C# but a huge number of jobs out there want experience using Entity Framework, nhibernate and SQL to go along with your C# skills. The core language is just the base skill. The extras are what make you desireable and pay €€€.

Also try and build and KEEP (I managed to lose all my college projects which were stored on a portable hard disk) a portfolio of projects that you work on throughout the next 2 years. Host them on github or something similar. As your skills improve you can then share this archive with potential employers to display your skills.

Yeah that's what I am doing trying get extra skills using online sources also I pay for them. You are 100% right 2 years are quiet nothing even I was upset why they teach us stupidity modules but we started second year by learning SQL ( Still basic how I would say ) we going into Java very well ( Still only how the language works + its classes elements + small programs which for learner ) Honestly I doubt that I will see a real project in this course I dont know why I doubt but so far 2 years all is crap .. starting third year on September I can say advanced stuff like Java SQL (Advanced Coding).. Maybe.. Anyway I am concern with Java & Android development so going to learn both extras in the upcoming 2 years..

BIG BIG THANKS FOR ADVICES GUYS >>> I REALLY NEED IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Yeah that's what I am doing trying get extra skills using online sources also I pay for them. You are 100% right 2 years are quiet nothing even I was upset why they teach us stupidity modules but we started second year by learning SQL ( Still basic how I would say ) we going into Java very well ( Still only how the language works + its classes elements + small programs which for learner ) Honestly I doubt that I will see a real project in this course I dont know why I doubt but so far 2 years all is crap .. starting third year on September I can say advanced stuff like Java SQL (Advanced Coding).. Maybe.. Anyway I am concern with Java & Android development so going to learn both extras in the upcoming 2 years..

BIG BIG THANKS FOR ADVICES GUYS >>> I REALLY NEED IT

If I was you I would keep my current job and concentrate on doing the best I could on my degree.

Unless a course does work placement most graduates would be coming out of college with little experience. You may also find it difficult to juggle a new job and your course work.

What industry in your current role ? You are gaining experience in that industry to complement your degree.

I cannot give you advice on becoming a developer as I am not one. Maybe you should focus on the areas you are good at or enjoy ?

Software testers can work long hours , especially coming to the end of a project as dates have slipped but the go live date cannot !!!!

• Advertisement

If I was you I would keep my current job and concentrate on doing the best I could on my degree.

Unless a course does work placement most graduates would be coming out of college with little experience. You may also find it difficult to juggle a new job and your course work.

What industry in your current role ? You are gaining experience in that industry to complement your degree.

I cannot give you advice on becoming a developer as I am not one. Maybe you should focus on the areas you are good at or enjoy ?

Software testers can work long hours , especially coming to the end of a project as dates have slipped but the go live date cannot !!!!

I don't think my course include work placement ( Not mentioned at any stage ) It gonna be tough finding job in IT sector as every single job require genius people with genius skills :D:D:D..

I am working in a pharma manufacturing as machine operator so it's not related to my degree at all :D:D

I don't mind the work hours or overtimes at all, All in consideration at the moment is how to get out of manufacturing to IT sector....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It gonna be tough finding job in IT sector as every single job require genius people with genius skills :D:D:D...

Don't be too put off by advertised job specs, they're like a wish list dreamt up by HR, but always ask yourself one question. If you had all the experience, qualifications and technologies that are ask for for some low enough level roles, would you apply for that job??? Of course you wouldn't.

I'm just finished 2nd year of a soft Dev degree, and applied for a platform engineer role with a large multinational, the spec was a mile long and I knew 10% at most, got the job. Didn't lie during the interview, if they asked me something I would explain my level of knowledge and once or twice if I felt I had over played my knowledge, I'd would back it up with saying I would be willing to learn more about that to reach your business need.

Don't be put off, read up on the technologies so you can understand the job specs better, then you can decipher the role and what level they are actually looking for.

Senna wrote: »
    Don't be too put off by advertised job specs, they're like a wish list dreamt up by HR, but always ask yourself one question. If you had all the experience, qualifications and technologies that are ask for for some low enough level roles, would you apply for that job??? Of course you wouldn't.

I'm just finished 2nd year of a soft Dev degree, and applied for a platform engineer role with a large multinational, the spec was a mile long and I knew 10% at most, got the job. Didn't lie during the interview, if they asked me something I would explain my level of knowledge and once or twice if I felt I had over played my knowledge, I'd would back it up with saying I would be willing to learn more about that to reach your business need.

Don't be put off, read up on the technologies so you can understand the job specs better, then you can decipher the role and what level they are actually looking for.

Actually buddy you have motivated me up :D .. I always look for the job requirements and I go like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :eek::eek::eek::eek: ....Note I search for Juniors or Graduated so I end up with a list of skills that I never heard of, I AM LIKE OH DEAR I would never get a job :D ... Well I will try improve my skills outsourced and make a good CV also will finish ISTQB Cert. to increase my chances for now .. Hope will manage to find a job at some stage.. Thank you very much for the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I will be 100% honest with you .. I do love programming ( I would like to become software development ) but the problem here is every single job require skills which is beyond my knowledge also some of the skills I have near heard of it as you know colleges dont teach you most of this skills so to become a developer you need huge content knowledge at least big project to show skills

It's great that you have motivation. You will have to spend some time and learn about software development yourself. Start with really basic web development ( HTML, JavaScript, CSS ). Don't go overboard with creating advanced graphical layouts, because that will do anyone's head in. Then move on to mobile apps. Then after that, move on to databases and back-end systems.

I guarantee you that if you will learn software development yourself, you will get all the better development jobs.

It's great that you have motivation. You will have to spend some time and learn about software development yourself. Start with really basic web development ( HTML, JavaScript, CSS ). Don't go overboard with creating advanced graphical layouts, because that will do anyone's head in. Then move on to mobile apps. Then after that, move on to databases and back-end systems.

I guarantee you that if you will learn software development yourself, you will get all the better development jobs.

Hi, I will definitely do. At the moment as summer I do a self learning via online course from Udemy I am doing Android Development ( As Java is my intention so I am improving my Java skills and Android skills ) then once the third year starts, i will definitely go for HTML, JavaScript and CSS. I have gathered info about what most jobs want from Developer or engineer which always are ( SQL / UnixLinux / JavaScript / Problem Solving / Algorithm ) . I will focus on improve my skills on these area. Please if you have any recommendation about online course or something that boost my way let us know. Thank you very much for sharing such a great info. All of ur comments guys give a hug motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This seems to have veered away from software testing so here are my 2c on the topic.

Software testing isn't the same as developing. Often it's black-box testing which means you don't care much about the internal workings of the system. Instead you design "end to end" tests that 1) test that the system is working according to requirements, and 2) test that the system doesn't go ape**** when you feed the system unexpected input (error handling testing).

ISTQB is a good start as it'll give you an foundation on how software testing is done.

These are areas I suggest you become familiar with.
    Automation
    Performance
    Security

Since a while it's a lot about DevOps and CI/CD so if you're interested in testing then look into Selenium, Jenkins and similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Zulu wrote: »
    Repetitive. Thankless. Pressured. Thankless. Demotivating, and did I mention thankless?

Sounds like most jobs in development as well.

On a different note, I don't get the inferiority complex and chip on the shoulder some testers have. A good professional tester who takes their profession and personal advancement of their professional knowledge seriously, is of equal worth to any similarly professional developer. They work hand in hand on any productive team. A useless tester who has a grudge and thinks all developers are superior and has no interest in continually furthering their own professional knowledge to new levels, is as useful and as a ignorant developer who thinks professional testing is easier and requires less knowledge than development.

A quick perusal of any of the jobs sites will show professional testing is just as in demand and as well paid as many development positions.

Advertisement