Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gagetman

Has saorsat actually started transmission of programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

no

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

Well the ka band lnb came this morning,here are my results from Swansea,South Wales using a 2.4m dish and AZBox receiver.Many thanks to watty,Apogee,satwyn for all there help.

And three more.

Looks good John, we can now safely say that transmission has started of saorsat. One thing I did notice is the date on the EPG was April.
    Can go about getting some hardware now, I have a 1 meter dish, what lnb is required?
    Gagetman

• Advertisement

The Epg on the AZBox is fixed at 14/04/2011 and the time 13.07 pm,can`t find a way to put the time and date right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

John896 wrote: »
    The Epg on the AZBox is fixed at 14/04/2011 and the time 13.07 pm,can`t find a way to put the time and date right.

You can't because it's a looped transmission. See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72472837&postcount=1231

Any ideas why my ka lnb gets so warm,i nearly burnt my hand when tweaking it.Never thought it would give off so much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Apogee wrote: »
    You can't because it's a looped transmission. See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72472837&postcount=1231

Hmmmm.

So, transmissions haven't started yet then ?

I assume I won't need a dish quite as large as 2.4 metres in Newtownabbey ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Any ideas why my ka lnb gets so warm,i nearly burnt my hand when tweaking it.Never thought it would give off so much heat.

Thats because its a transmitter and you should go nowhere near these when they are switched on because it is like getting x-rayed, i'm not sure if the transmit part of it can be switched off but going near them when they are in transmit mode is ill advised. A normal LNB is only receives these LNB's are designed to send a radio signal thousands of miles up into space to the satellie as it is a two way satellite internet service.

• Advertisement

the tx part has been removed so no problem signal q40 s65 on azbox with 1.2m andrews dish i can get a bit more signal with a tweak but it seems stable even in bad weather i have the ka lnb at prime focus with ku at offset not ideal but i can pick up what i need for now

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

Stinicker wrote: »
    Thats because its a transmitter and you should go nowhere near these when they are switched on because it is like getting x-rayed...

No it isn't. X-rays are 30 PHz (peta - 10^16) to 30 EHz (exa - 10^19). Satellite stuff is nearer 10 to 20 GHz (giga - 10^9).

This morning i tried the ka lnb on my mates,1.8m dish in Cardiff 50 miles east of where i live.The max signal we could get was 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Did you get a signal lock despite the low signal strength?

We did but only just also had a lot of pixelation on the channels.

what make dish and how was the lnb mounted i had best results when the lnb was mounted vertically i also noticed that you have the lnb horizontally mounted on your 2.4m dish did you try the lnb vertical to see if there is an impovement in signal

It was a 1.8m channel master dish,the lnb was mounted vertically.

looks like the signal drops dramatically as you move inland

This morning i tried the ka lnb on my mates,1.8m dish in Cardiff 50 miles east of where i live.The max signal we could get was 30%.

Have you tried it with the depolariser attached? That should give you almost another 3dB.

I haven`t yet need to make an lnb holder.

• Advertisement

i've used the andrews feed holder the one supplied with the dish you will only need longer screws

The heat on the LNB could be from focusing of the suns rays, this can happen if the sun moves into the focal point of the dish. The frequency used however is in the microwave range
    Gagetman

As posted by rolfw, the head honcho on satellites.co.uk:
    rolfw wrote:
    Been notified that they [ka lnbs] will be available soon from my wholesaler, but he doesn't know date or price yet.

can't seem to get a signal today can anyone confirm it's still on thanks

I have been outside most of this afternoon tweaking the lnb,i have managed to get 15% more signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

I have been outside most of this afternoon tweaking the lnb,i have managed to get 15% more signal.

Quick question - what sat box are you using may i ask?

I use a AZBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Edit post. Please delete.

Well it`s chucking it down with rain here,and my signal goes from 75% to 90%.The same thing happend last year when i was experimenting with c band,my signal would go up in the rain.

• Advertisement

Well it`s chucking it down with rain here,and my signal goes from 75% to 90%.The same thing happend last year when i was experimenting with c band,my signal would go up in the rain.

Hmm, if you believe the readings on an Azbox...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement