Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas and Feedback.

Options
  • 13-07-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Ok folks its suggestion/feedback time.

Following on from how well the world Cup forum went and the request for a permanent football betting sub forum both myself and the Recliner have come up with a few ideas for the gambling forum going forward.

Our ideas are not only to have a seperate forum for football but to have one for horse racing as well. This would leave the main gambling forum for all other sports. This would make the gambling forum easier to use/read and hopefully we would see more people getting involved.

We would both appreciate your thoughts on these ideas and we would also like to hear any ideas you might have on how the forum can be improved.

We've brought these ideas to the admins and we think its only fair that all of you be included in the process as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭matt1958

What about a forum for people looking for help/queries about bets..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good ideas.

Also can I say we need some better moderation in the forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Good ideas.

Also can I say we need some better moderation in the forum too.

Can you give some examples please.

matt1958 wrote: »
    What about a forum for people looking for help/queries about bets..

A gambling helpdesk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭matt1958

super-rush wrote: »
    A gambling helpdesk?

:)

• Advertisement

Can you give some examples please.

Don't have any examples on hand, it's more a general thing. Not a dig at the mods btw.

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Great idea, the Horse Racing forum would be great to say the least!

There needs to be more competitions as it's dull as feck here.

Best Bet of the Day competitions .For horses mainly, Can be done for football I suppose and tables can be kept updated and add a bit of fun to the forum.

Fantasy Football League for people here (I can set that up).

Ye moderators are grand and all but you don't really get involved in any gambling discussion, the forum needs active mods who actually have an interest in what's going on in the gambling world, not just here to moderate. The place is constantly dead and even discussion on certain aspects isn't encouraged, people should be allowed to talk about certain aspects of a game (usually happen in football where posters are told this is not the soccer forum) and not just the bets as everything to do with a game is relevant to betting.

Daily bets threads (football and racing, weekend GAA), where people actually post up opinions of what they fancy for the day and not just listing the bets and heading on, if people put a bit of thought into their bets they'd make a far better go of this gambling lark.

"How to" articles for people who want to get involved in gambling but don't have a clue. I'd happily write up an explanation about how I pick a horse and also what not to do (I'm no expert but what I do works). Point them towards certain sites that will help them improve the likely hood of picking something that has a decent chance, most people just see 1111 and back the horse!

There also could be a few posts done on what markets can be exploited, like the "Anytime Scorer" bets in soccer is extremely good for value if you put time and effort into it, over/under markets are also ones you can find alot of value in with the correct time and effort. Most people just put on mental accumulators all the time and lose money, with more know how people who are actually losing gamblers could improve big time and become profitable.

All in all, the place is dead and needs a kick up the arse to liven it up! The World Cup livened the place up and hopefully it continues when the Premiership starts again.

Don't have any examples on hand, it's more a general thing. Not a dig at the mods btw.

I didn't think it was a dig tbh.

So when you say better moderation what do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I don't think it was taken as a dig but if you do ahve any suggestions then now is the time

We appreciate feedback good or bad and as we are both new to Modding the forum then it is all the more appreciated

On a more general note to everybody, you can always PM us if there is something you think needs to be brought to our attention

Ye moderators are grand and all but you don't really get involved in any gambling discussion, the forum needs active mods who actually have an interest in what's going on in the gambling world, not just here to moderate
    In fairness The Recliner has been pretty active since he came on board here and i'll be the first to admit that i've just moderated here since i came on but that will change. We also agreed that we would need to take on one or two new mods to help out with the new forums if they are approved and we will be looking for at least one regular user to help. We're not looking for suggestions btw as we will make our picks and take them to the cat mods to see what they think.
    The place is constantly dead and even discussion on certain aspects isn't encouraged, people should be allowed to talk about certain aspects of a game (usually happen in football where posters are told this is not the soccer forum) and not just the bets as everything to do with a game is relevant to betting.
    This is a bit of a grey area for us. We can't have completely open discussion on football for two reasons. One is that there is a soccer forum and we don't want to take away discussion from there and it could encourage people to use this forum to get round a ban they might have picked up in soccer. Saying all this we will look into this point and hopefully come to a good middle ground for all of us.
    Daily bets threads (football and racing, weekend GAA), where people actually post up opinions of what they fancy for the day and not just listing the bets and heading on, if people put a bit of thought into their bets they'd make a far better go of this gambling lark.
    The new sub forums would be perfect for threads like this.
    "How to" articles for people who want to get involved in gambling but don't have a clue. I'd happily write up an explanation about how I pick a horse and also what not to do (I'm no expert but what I do works). Point them towards certain sites that will help them improve the likely hood of picking something that has a decent chance, most people just see 1111 and back the horse!
    Would this not be something to incorporate into the logs forum?
    There also could be a few posts done on what markets can be exploited, like the "Anytime Scorer" bets in soccer is extremely good for value if you put time and effort into it, over/under markets are also ones you can find alot of value in with the correct time and effort. Most people just put on mental accumulators all the time and lose money, with more know how people who are actually losing gamblers could improve big time and become profitable.
    Good idea.
    All in all, the place is dead and needs a kick up the arse to liven it up! The World Cup livened the place up and hopefully it continues when the Premiership starts again.
    Thats what this thread is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

We're not allowed give suggestions here? It's cool if we're not just wanna know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Heavily clamp down on after-timing, even when a screenshot is provided. It just becomse a boasting competition where people can post winning bets and not others in order to look good on the internet. It's pretty chronic recently and takes away from threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think the new mods have made a huge difference since they came in, before it was just a free-for-all to give dogs abuse to eachother.

Mods could be more active, but that's already been answered.:)

Sub-Forums are a good idea, imo.

In fairness The Recliner has been pretty active since he came on board here and i'll be the first to admit that i've just moderated here since i came on but that will change. We also agreed that we would need to take on one or two new mods to help out with the new forums if they are approved and we will be looking for at least one regular user to help. We're not looking for suggestions btw as we will make our picks and take them to the cat mods to see what they think.

He has surely and that's great, this place went unmodded ever since I started posting here, there even was a thread of some scam artist from a "syndicate" that managed to stay here for months posting up market movers and tricking people into believing he was some sort of super tipster when infact he only ended up asking for money and no doubt caught out some people.

Although the forum doesn't usually cause much hassle in comparison to most forums but now that you two guys are on board it will help increase activity and thread like this mean any attempt to get a point across won't go unnoticed and fair play to the two of ye for moderating the forum. Looking forward to see who's chosen, and it's good that there'll be at least one regular poster, fair play.
    This is a bit of a grey area for us. We can't have completely open discussion on football for two reasons. One is that there is a soccer forum and we don't want to take away discussion from there and it could encourage people to use this forum to get round a ban they might have picked up in soccer. Saying all this we will look into this point and hopefully come to a good middle ground for all of us.

Totally understand, but discussion on the matches and listening to other peoples opinions is vital to understanding what bets can be taken advantage of, like in the world cup with people discussing who could be booked in certain matches, I actually made quite a few quid from seeing those discussions and even had Van Persie to be booked in the final @ 11/2 because I got involved in that market due to a couple of lads talking about it here (ValueSeeker & Headshot I think). That wouldn't be a market I'd usually delve into but it's one that certainly can be exploited and people here noticed that in certain games. With more talk on a game other similar bets could be found and people would stand a greater chance of being winning punters, although I completely understand that discussion should be for the soccer forum, but we can't talk about gambling there either so it's lose lose for the gamblers.
    The new sub forums would be perfect for threads like this.

It would surely and would spice up activity too plus it would be fun. :)
    Would this not be something to incorporate into the logs forum?

I don't think so, the challenges and logs section isn't posted in much nor does it get the traffic that a main forum does so it may go unseen by many plus if we could get people who cover different sports (Like El Horseboxo and his GAA, Heavyballs and the Golf), do a write up on the do's and don'ts and put them into one stickied thread where people can read them but not post on. It would help people possibly gain an advantage on different sports that they gamble on but wouldn't necessarily know where to go to get information that could prove vital or little things that people wouldn't notice, like a horse wearing a first time visor or a tongue tie, both of which can spark improvement but some people don't know where to get this information. I'm only using horses as an example as it's the only thing I really know about.
    Good idea.

Thank you. :)
    Thats what this thread is about.

I know, and I appreciate the effort. Fair play to the two of you.

Gillington wrote: »
    We're not allowed give suggestions here? It's cool if we're not just wanna know!

Of course you can give suggestions here. Thats what this thread is about. This is your forum after all.

If you're talking about new mods see below.

Gillington wrote: »

If this is in relation to who to pick as Mod then we would rather not do that in public, popularity competitions are all well and good but they don't necessarily make for the bst Mods

Plus the Admins have to have their say so we do it in private so as not to disappoint people

I am happy for people to PM me with suggestions though as long as they accept that they are just suggestions that will be considered but not necessarily acted on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Of course you can give suggestions here. Thats what this thread is about. This is your forum after all.

Cool just got confused reading the bold part.

Anyway,I'm a bit torn as I like the Football tips from the pro thread but it can get real messy so I agree that a Football bets Forum would be a good idea.I dunno how it'd work though? Like somewhere for everything Premiership etc? Then would it'd be seperate threads for picks and discussion for particular games or weekends? The Aftertiming screenshot thread looks like its proving to be a good idea,as too many people were pointing fingers and non-believing in other threads.

Anyways have to head off in a minute,I know with the 2 new moderators everthing will work out and wish ya's the best of luck!

x PyRo wrote: »

Ye moderators are grand and all but you don't really get involved in any gambling discussion, the forum needs active mods who actually have an interest in what's going on in the gambling world, not just here to moderate. The place is constantly dead and even discussion on certain aspects isn't encouraged, people should be allowed to talk about certain aspects of a game (usually happen in football where posters are told this is not the soccer forum) and not just the bets as everything to do with a game is relevant to betting.

This is more along the lines I was making the point about, like look at the Soccer forum, Fashion and Appearance forum, etc..., all the mods are heavily involved in posting and make themselves seen.

Maybe a new mod could be added in who is a regular and geniune poster, Pyro, etc... Just an idea having someone on board who has a heavy knowledge of gambling.

This is more along the lines I was making the point about, like look at the Soccer forum, Fashion and Appearance forum, etc..., all the mods are heavily involved in posting and make themselves seen.

Maybe a new mod could be added in who is a regular and geniune poster, Pyro, etc... Just an idea having someone on board who has a heavy knowledge of gambling.

Yup and it is something we are looking to do, it is mentioned in the thread somewhere

He has surely and that's great, this place went unmodded ever since I started posting here, there even was a thread of some scam artist from a "syndicate" that managed to stay here for months posting up market movers and tricking people into believing he was some sort of super tipster when infact he only ended up asking for money and no doubt caught out some people.

Hopefully we can prevent stuff like this from now on, if we don't spot it quick enough then people can report it and help us out
    Although the forum doesn't usually cause much hassle in comparison to most forums but now that you two guys are on board it will help increase activity and thread like this mean any attempt to get a point across won't go unnoticed and fair play to the two of ye for moderating the forum. Looking forward to see who's chosen, and it's good that there'll be at least one regular poster, fair play.

Yup the posters here are very little trouble, great to see :)
    Totally understand, but discussion on the matches and listening to other peoples opinions is vital to understanding what bets can be taken advantage of, like in the world cup with people discussing who could be booked in certain matches, I actually made quite a few quid from seeing those discussions and even had Van Persie to be booked in the final @ 11/2 because I got involved in that market due to a couple of lads talking about it here (ValueSeeker & Headshot I think). That wouldn't be a market I'd usually delve into but it's one that certainly can be exploited and people here noticed that in certain games. With more talk on a game other similar bets could be found and people would stand a greater chance of being winning punters, although I completely understand that discussion should be for the soccer forum, but we can't talk about gambling there either so it's lose lose for the gamblers.

I don't think we stepped in too much in the World Cup forum, we do ahve to draw the line somewhere though, the Soccer forum has restrictions for a reason and we can't allow people to take the piss

As you say though there was a lot of interesting discussion there and it was informative and I think people helped each other out which was great to see

Hopefully we can keep that up from now on
    I don't think so, the challenges and logs section isn't posted in much nor does it get the traffic that a main forum does so it may go unseen by many plus if we could get people who cover different sports (Like El Horseboxo and his GAA, Heavyballs and the Golf), do a write up on the do's and don'ts and put them into one stickied thread where people can read them but not post on. It would help people possibly gain an advantage on different sports that they gamble on but wouldn't necessarily know where to go to get information that could prove vital or little things that people wouldn't notice, like a horse wearing a first time visor or a tongue tie, both of which can spark improvement but some people don't know where to get this information. I'm only using horses as an example as it's the only thing I really know about.

I think a locked Stickied thread would be a good idea, if people want to write up a gambling FAQ or Do's and Don'ts then they can PM us Mods and we can post it for them in the thread, would help keep the advice centralised and keep it useful

• Advertisement

I totally agree with you and we're using this window between the end of the World Cup and the start of the football season to get it all sorted. To be honest i got i got side tracked by real life stuff and neglected all the forums i mod.

Another idea i have in my head would be an off topic thread which would be in the main forum.

Another idea i have in my head would be an off topic thread which would be in the main forum.

I was just about to mention that, excellent idea. Would bring some added fun and banter.

Hopefully we can prevent stuff like this from now on, if we don't spot it quick enough then people can report it and help us out

Oh I've no doubt you'll have it sorted in no time, I reported a couple of spam posts a couple of days ago and they were gone in no time. I reported that thread way back and it was still there for months after.
    Yup the posters here are very little trouble, great to see :)

Wait until we all have a few losers in a row. :pac:
    I don't think we stepped in too much in the World Cup forum, we do ahve to draw the line somewhere though, the Soccer forum has restrictions for a reason and we can't allow people to take the piss

As you say though there was a lot of interesting discussion there and it was informative and I think people helped each other out which was great to see

Hopefully we can keep that up from now on

Completely understand and I agree with the point you're making but if it's regular members to the gambling forum discussing the potential way a game may go, what winger could take advantage of a wing back and get them booked etc - That stuff should be encouraged, obviously I don't mean people f'ing and blinding because Rooney missed a tap in or something! Just general things someone may have noticed that could be a good bet then everyone says their part, with a combined interest in the one game I'd be fairly confident that people could pick out some splendid unusual bets that would go unnoticed if we didn't talk about a game.

Maybe even concentrate on one game every weekend and everyone gives their opinions on how it may go and what bets we can find as a group that may be overpriced and can be exploited, it could make people alot of money and a 10 opinions is better than 1.
    I think a locked Stickied thread would be a good idea, if people want to write up a gambling FAQ or Do's and Don'ts then they can PM us Mods and we can post it for them in the thread, would help keep the advice centralised and keep it useful

Brilliant, I'll get something done over the next few weeks about how I judge a race or something and I'll send it on to you. I reckon if everyone wrote about their specialist areas we could come up with some very interesting points that can be manipulated. After all this is a gambling forum and we're not here to lose money, although I'd imagine most people do because they don't try hard enough to improve what they're doing.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jolsen

A sub forum for match betting and arbing would be nice, because we all know boards needs more forums. :D

I think a few people do it around here and if others can get their heads round it, the forum could get pretty busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If anyone was handy with PhotoShop they could maybe make up a picture like the one in my sig for R&R, and have the photo linking to the forum?

Completely understand and I agree with the point you're making but if it's regular members to the gambling forum discussing the potential way a game may go, what winger could take advantage of a wing back and get them booked etc - That stuff should be encouraged, obviously I don't mean people f'ing and blinding because Rooney missed a tap in or something! Just general things someone may have noticed that could be a good bet then everyone says their part, with a combined interest in the one game I'd be fairly confident that people could pick out some splendid unusual bets that would go unnoticed if we didn't talk about a game.

I don't think that is a problem at all and is to be encouraged, like I said we just need to find where the line is and make everyone aware of it
    Maybe even concentrate on one game every weekend and everyone gives their opinions on how it may go and what bets we can find as a group that may be overpriced and can be exploited, it could make people alot of money and a 10 opinions is better than 1.

Great idea, I have a few plans on getting things up and running in football betting forum when we get it started
    Brilliant, I'll get something done over the next few weeks about how I judge a race or something and I'll send it on to you. I reckon if everyone wrote about their specialist areas we could come up with some very interesting points that can be manipulated. After all this is a gambling forum and we're not here to lose money, although I'd imagine most people do because they don't try hard enough to improve what they're doing.

Excellent, will lash that up whenever you get it to me
    Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the great suggestions, keep them coming folks

baz2009 wrote: »
    If anyone was handy with PhotoShop they could maybe make up a picture like the one in my sig for R&R, and have the photo linking to the forum?

Suppose that's a decent idea, but the thing about this forum is we're like an old mans pub, everyone knows everyones betting patterns and trusts certain posters for certain sports, leagues, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My ideas would be (probably mentioned already)

maybe a sub forum for these

soccer betting thread
    GAA betting thread
    Horse betting thread
    other sports

Maybe that's to many sub-forums, im not sure

I also love that gambling help desk thread, really would come in useful

Iv also have to say that the new mods have done an excellent job since coming in

Headshot wrote: »
    My ideas would be (probably mentioned already)

maybe a sub forum for these

soccer betting thread
    GAA betting thread
    Horse betting thread
    other sports

Maybe that's to many sub-forums, im not sure

I also love that gambling help desk thread, really would come in useful

Iv also have to say that the new mods have done an excellent job since coming in

The helpdesk thread is a great idea and might encourage more people to use the gambling forum.

Would there be a need for a GAA betting forum? The championship only runs through the summer and the league in the winter.

My idea would be

Gambling(parent forum) - Football betting - Horse/Greyhound racing - Logs.

Everything outside football and racing would go into the parent forum. Its like when you go into a bookmakers. Football and racing are the big ones and everything else goes in together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

+1 for the soccer sub forum.

No complaints about moderation in this forum from me. Tbh, of all the forums I use it's one of the best in that respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement