Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Techno/House/Dubstep crossover hybrid thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

YOP1992 wrote: »
    I have to say i was never mad into either techno or house, but with the influence of uk garage, grime and dubstep the hybrid sounds being produced at the minute are very exciting

I think the success of this kind of stuff is precisely because of this sort of situation. It's bringing certain scenes together. I still am no closer to being able to listen to that chainsaw wobble stuff, but I don't feel lost going through dubstep sections in record stores.
    I think if anything this whole thing is proving that good is good no matter what genre and the more crossbreeding that happens the better. Of course there is the fear that all genres will merely become diluted to cater for a larger audience, but so far there has just been sooo much stuff that's exciting people again.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jtsuited wrote: »
    I think the success of this kind of stuff is precisely because of this sort of situation. It's bringing certain scenes together. I still am no closer to being able to listen to that chainsaw wobble stuff, but I don't feel lost going through dubstep sections in record stores.
    I think if anything this whole thing is proving that good is good no matter what genre and the more crossbreeding that happens the better. Of course there is the fear that all genres will merely become diluted to cater for a larger audience, but so far there has just been sooo much stuff that's exciting people again.

I think what has really drawn me to it is the darker side and especially some of the drum programming, I love the fact that it retains some of the typical techno percussion but added more intricate off-beat patterns - then of course the dub elements that are drawn in from dub techno and the close association they seem to have. I'm not as crazy about the typical garage sound that is in some but have to say I'm becoming more sold as time goes by... but on the whole its the darker side that I'm loving and I suppose the stuff that is more true to techno than garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I think what has really drawn me to it is the darker side and especially some of the drum programming, I love the fact that it retains some of the typical techno percussion but added more intricate off-beat patterns - then of course the dub elements that are drawn in from dub techno and the close association they seem to have. I'm not as crazy about the typical garage sound that is in some but have to say I'm becoming more sold as time goes by... but on the whole its the darker side that I'm loving and I suppose the stuff that is more true to techno than garage.

Its probably the garage end of the sound I'm enjoying which I never thought I'd be saying in a million years. The likes of Artful Dodger, the amount of awful spped garage and all that rubbish at the end of the last decade had turned me right off garage but I've really been digging what I've been hearing on here. But there's a real fluid mixing of sounds going on in all these tracks that is really interesting.

Cheers for the heads up on Headhunter - really enjoying that at the moment.

May as well shtick up my soundcloud for my new sort of hybrid moniker....

There'll be a good few bits and pieces goin up the next few days..

http://soundcloud.com/bawdcaster

May as well shtick up my soundcloud for my new sort of hybrid moniker....

There'll be a good few bits and pieces goin up the next few days..

http://soundcloud.com/bawdcaster

Some really sweet work up there JT, is any of that getting a release?

• Advertisement

Some really sweet work up there JT, is any of that getting a release?

ah yeah a few bits and pieces. don't worry, y'all be will bombarded with spam when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

new scb track is fairly mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

New mix from Gon.

http://fast-metabolism.blogspot.com/2010/11/mixology-7-mixed-by-ak-gon.html

Soft Wasp – Let me be (Shatterfreak Remix)
    Swarms – Function 212
    TRG – Everything We Stand For
    Ike Release – I’m Gone
    Jamie Grind – Bad Attitude (You Know It)
    C.R.S.T. – Dial The Operator
    Des Demure – Money Beet
    Littlefoot – Sell My Soul
    Sbtrkt – When Doves Strike
    Kidkut. – ILove04
    Octa Push – Laika Likes It
    Sentinels – Maji
    Hot City – Twist feat. MCDT
    Kingthing – A2 Dubplate
    Corticyte – Nextstep
    Falty DL – Phreqaflex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

another mix- applepips october fabriclive promo:

http://official.fm/track/171856

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Its probably the garage end of the sound I'm enjoying which I never thought I'd be saying in a million years. The likes of Artful Dodger, the amount of awful spped garage and all that rubbish at the end of the last decade had turned me right off garage but I've really been digging what I've been hearing on here.

Think this forum is in dire need of a classic uk garage thread...

Will start one tomorrow.

Will start one tomorrow.

That would be brilliant, cheers ES.

Will start one tomorrow.

there better be some Oxide and Neutrino.

haha just heard this and thought this is what Steve Reich would sound like had been born in Bristol and been a bit of a geezer

http://www.zero-inch.com/artist/Peverelist/track/Not_Yet_Further_Than/119076?p=google-DE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

This might have been posted earlier but feck it.....

Unbelievable. By far my track of the year....

Big tune! Villalobos played that at Life this year actually!

surprised at that. he has just gone up in my estimation (but only a little).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Does this go in this thread?

ianuss wrote: »

:rolleyes: Jesus man, do you not know your techno/house/dubstep hybrids from chipmunk-dubhouse-step.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Villalobos has been caining all the Hessle stuff since Blimey

ianuss wrote: »

Actually, joking aside, its these vocals again that I have serious trouble with - they do my nut in, and speaking of nuts, they do really remind me of Alvin & The Chipmunks.

• Advertisement

hmm interesting. how about these vox??

let's turn this thread into a lab exeriment where we prod Scubadevils with a vocals stick and see what his breaking point is.

I lasted all of 19 seconds with that one! What's with the smoking images on both? - Is that part of the whole chipmunk scene?

I lasted all of 19 seconds with that one! What's with the smoking images on both? - Is that part of the whole chipmunk scene?

ah here. that cosmin track (more specifically the Falty DL remix) is not really chipmunk is it??

The smoking thing is merely a result of the fact that many youtube uploaders think that drugs are cool, and music is just part of that coolness.

By the way, listen to at least the middle of the track.

ah here. that cosmin track (more specifically the Falty DL remix) is not really chipmunk is it??

The smoking thing is merely a result of the fact that many youtube uploaders think that drugs are cool, and music is just part of that coolness.

Actually in fairness that is a lot better and not quite chipmunk... I could handle/possibly get used to those vocals alright.

Actually in fairness that is a lot better and not quite chipmunk... I could handle/possibly get used to those vocals alright.

have you not heard the Shed RA podcast? It's one of the big tunes on that.

have you not heard the Shed RA podcast? It's one of the big tunes on that.

No, just checked my podcasts and not there - in fairness though, I've an awful habit also of downloading mixes/podcasts and not listening to them - have to load up a few next time I'm traveling for a listen... I tend to prefer listening to albums/full tracks these days, must be another product of age :pac:

ah here, Scuba, with all due respect, it's time to get your priorities straight.

1. Podcasts by your favourite artists (you are a big Shed fan aren't you?)
    2. Buying Records
    3. Home Cinema
    4. Family
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Haha... well one of the times where I listen to a lot of music is when traveling to the UK - but I always want to get stuck into whatever albums I've recently bought and go through a ritual of ripping to FLAC the night before and loading up to my MP3 player... I love then when I get to the airport in the morning selecting the first album of the journey, something suited to the airport and flight... then move on to another for the next stage on the train and tube till I get to London. I should add podcasts to the ritual as I know the link to your suggested 'priority 2' will be the acquiring of tunes I've enjoyed from the podcasts - actually, there's an idea - listen to the podcast in the morning, head to Phonica then that evening after work and look for the tracks from that morning...

Edit - and yes, absolutely a Shed fan so must grab that podcast.

• Advertisement

It's been archived on RA so you'll have to go a googling.

Advertisement