Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'related bet'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Problems wrote: »
    This is a bet I placed in Harrington Bookmakers in Carlow, Ireland.

It was on the 3rd/4th place playoff for World cup.

The bet was an accumulator, with the follwing on the slip:

Forlan anytime goalscorer 2/1
    Muller anytime goalscorer 12/5
    Germany 3 Uruguay 2 25/1

€5 stake

When I placed the bet, the shop was almost empty. The person behind the counter had a laugh about the bet, saying I might be better to flush the cash down the toilet, so they were aware of the odds/chances of it coming in. I asked what the return would be, she said €1326.

The next day, after the result had come in, I went to Harrington's where they said they couldn't pay out on account of this being a related bet. After some explaination from the manager today on the phone, I understand what they mean. They made me an offer of €90.

I understand their point, that the bet should not have been taken, but it was. The person behind the counter was fully aware of the bet being placed. And, if I had placed €1326 on the same bet and it lost, I'm sure I wouldn't get my money back because it was a 'related bet'.

In my own business (graphic design & print), if I make a spelling mistake on 10000 business cards, I have to pay to get them printed again, so I don't really see the difference here.

What do punters think? I have gone to IBAS and placed an enquiry with them. Isn't there a bloke in one of the newspapers aswell??

A fair way to settle the bet would be a €2.50 double on what ever the odds for muller to score anytime and germany to win 3-2 and the same with forlan.

there is no point going to Ibas with this case.

cashier made a mistake for all they know the cashier is your friend.

speak to the bookie say u understand the cashier made a mistake but in fairness thats not your fault and u understand that he cant pay u the €1326 (which u have zero chance of getting) and ask him to come to a compranise somewhere in between the €90 and the €1326.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'd take the 90 and run,and laugh while I run. People going on about writing to the RP or the Star or the Small Claims Court must be having a laugh. End of the day it's a related bet,and the bookies will correct staff errors to how the bet should have been placed,whether it's to the OP's advantage or not. So getting 90 back off a fiver bet that can't be entitled a proper bet is a great deal,none of the bigger bookies would be offering this,perhaps because they wouldn't have accepted it,but that's not the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blondebookie

Win win for the bookies though isn't it. Bet comes up they dont pay out, bet loses and punter never gets his money back.

clearly this punter didnt know what he was doing in the first place......

Verance wrote: »
    Punter should be aware of the rules before placing a bet.

:rolleyes:

There is never any rules writen in most betting shops.
    Most cashiers dont have a clue about rules and even some managers.
    So how is the average punter supposed to even find out the rules.
    Not everyone has the net or can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

clearly this punter didnt know what he was doing in the first place......

Or the cashier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

robbie1977 wrote: »

Every bookies has a poster of the shop and racing rules they have to have by law. and excuse me im a manager of a shop and no the rules very well its the punters that havent a clue then start agruing with the cashier

carly_86 wrote: »
    Every bookies has a poster of the shop and racing rules they have to have by law. and excuse me im a manager of a shop and no the rules very well its the punters that havent a clue then start agruing with the cashier

so your shop has a poster uo with football rules and an explanation
    about what bets can be done and what are related?? (which this thread is about)

l also said some managers dont know the rules l never said all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

It must be the only business in the world where they benefit by having untrained staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

i agree, i had a straight forward 10 fold accu that came up trumps

went to collect and the lady had no clue, cue 40 mins tracking down scores and asking where such and such a team were from... :rolleyes:

i said i will come back when the owners are there as she clearly hadnt a clue, that was 2 weeks ago. i got no time to go back to that place just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

here if your a manager i wouldnt be treating your customers that way,at the end of the day if it wasnt for those "havent a clue" punters or just your average punter you wouldnt have a job..so put yourself in there shoes and treat them with respect.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Not sure what shops you've been going into, but in Boyles/Powers/Hills/Celtic & Ladbrokes shops i have gone into they have all had them. A big Huge poster usually pinned to a door. You literally cant miss it (unless you want to).

All shops are required under their license to have a copy in the shop, ask behind the counter; its not hard.
    Most punters are but bookies get plenty of new customers during events like world cups who aren't clued in.

Ignorance is not an excuse.
    coughlan08 wrote: »
    those "havent a clue" punters or just your average punter you wouldnt have a job. .so put yourself in there shoes and treat them with respect.:rolleyes:

I take it you have never worked in a bookmakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

small claims court! thats what id do

Waste of time
    Gambling debts are not legally enforcable.

John Martin's column is in tomorrow's Star middle pages with his
    email address.
    Won't be in paper for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

The rules have been in every shop I've been to. Afaik they have to have them by law. What shops don't have them, I'd say if you asked they might have a copy behind the counter.

Healio wrote: »

I take it you have never worked in a bookmakers?

nope,never would and never will..they are the most conniving people i know.would hate to work or even be in their presence..
    anyway i never bet hardly in a bookie shop as the place is "dirt",if it wasnt for the internet i wouldnt bet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

nope,never would and never will..they are the most conniving people i know.would hate to work or even be in their presence..
    anyway i never bet hardly in a bookie shop as the place is "dirt",if it wasnt for the internet i wouldnt bet at all.

Care to further explain any of that? Or are you just trolling at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ya cos all betting shop workers are pricks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Problems

I have to say, this is classic. You're saying above punter's haven't a clue, and in this case I hadn't, I don't bet that often, BUT, the cashier in this case hadn't a clue eithier and she worked there. If I made a mistake like that in my job, I would have to pay the price. Also, to be fair, Bookies are there to provide a service and inform the punter, if the service is being provided by people with an attitude like you, it totally turns me off going into a bookies in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Problems wrote: »
    Bookies are there to provide a service

incorrect, its a business not a service

telecaster wrote: »
    incorrect, its a business not a service

?? a business can provide a service though,
    sense your being so techniqual about what a bookie is,the actual def of a Business is,"Economic system in which goods and services are exchanged for one another or money, on the basis of their perceived worth."

the fact of the matter is bookies are very quick in taking your money but very slow on giving you money..thats my experience of them anyway and is primarely the reason why i never go to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

You've defined ''Business'' as a concept, not ''A Business'' as an entity.

The Gardai (for example) provide a service - a non-profit organization to serve the public

Bookmakers are a business - a profit driven entity for the benefit of its owners

I'd brush up on the syntax if I was making a smartarsey pedantic point by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Might be going off thread here?

OP any update about the bet/settlement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

just read the story.....
    think your on a loser. I work in the industry and have seen this a few times... Related bets are a no no and are void which means you get your fiver back. I think the offer that they made included splitting the stake into 3 singles and the payout seems fine to me...usually there are conditions which cover this issue and you'll prob find that there is a notice in these offices to cover these human errors....
    let me know...:cool:
    r u serious they would only laugh. i work in a bookies he is lucky that he is even being offered the €90 he should of only got his money back. john martin would say the same thing

I also work in the industry and in my experience, shop staff generally don't have a clue about the rules. As shown by the fact that the two shop staff on here got it wrong :P Related bets are never void.

OP, there is no point going to IBAS with a blatantly related bet, you won't get anywhere. I would advise you to take the 90 euros and run.

The Gardai (for example) provide a service - a non-profit organization to serve the public

Dont get me started about that shower....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

The Gardai (for example) provide a service- a non-profit organization to serve the public

I'm not so sure about that! :pac:

Advertisement