Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Brewing Company - IPA

Options
  • 12-07-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Just saw this today in a Spar. Haven't tried it yet, as its a Monday afternoon, but anyone given this a try?

Sounds like a welcome addition. I love IPA (whether India, Irish or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale), and always on the lookout for it - especially when it doesn't cost a small fortune to buy a few of them.

Maybe of interest to all the people looking for Galway Hooker IPA in bottles.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a bigger, heavier beast than Hooker. I wasn't a fan of the draught version but quite like it from the bottle. It's especially nice being able to get a full-on hoppy pale ale by the half litre bottle, rather than the tiddlesome American ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Good to hear its in bottles....I quite liked it on draught. Tasty beer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Spar??!

What Spar is this?

I had it on tap in Oslo in Galway at Brewers on the Bay and thought it was quite nice, but not as smooth as Galway Hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Big shop on the Corner of Wexford Street and Montague Lane in Dublin? Think it's a Spar. Used to be a Building Society, has a Gym above it now.

Although their prices are probably not great - probably better value in Carvills, Whelans or Redmonds if they have it in.

donaghs wrote: »
    Big shop on the Corner of Wexford Street and Montague Lane in Dublin? Think it's a Spar.
    It's now a Fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I sampled a bottle of one of these up in Mulligan's Grocer on Monday Evening. It's crispy refreshing taste beats Galway Hooker and Curim hands down in my opinioon.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of the draught version but quite like it from the bottle.
    Apologies for quoting myself. Just found out this afternoon that the first batch draught version was made using an imperfect hopping technique. The bottles are batch 2, with better hopping, and the draught version of batch 2 will be out in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

All sounds good - where to get it around Louth/Monaghan direction is the problem as always - oh well another trip to Dublin beckons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

All sounds good - where to get it around Louth/Monaghan direction is the problem as always - oh well another trip to Dublin beckons

Nevermind - Just found BeerNut's link to DrinkStore over at the Delirium Tremins thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Must try it, Gallery Hooker Ale is the best thing I've tasted all year so I look forward to tasting this one and see if it beats Hooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Big shop on the Corner of Wexford Street and Montague Lane in Dublin? Think it's a Spar. Used to be a Building Society, has a Gym above it now.

That will be Fresh.
    Although their prices are probably not great - probably better value in Carvills, Whelans or Redmonds if they have it in.

Carvills have it in at €10 for 4 bottles. I got some last night and while I'm not big on IPA's this one is good and very vibrant and drinkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 battycow

I still prefer Galway Hooker myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

battycow wrote: »
    I still prefer Galway Hooker myself

As do I. I love the citrusy finish. It really is a great beer, and I find myself tending to suggest pubs where it is served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just found out this afternoon that the first batch draught version was made using an imperfect hopping technique.
    Do elaborate!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Do elaborate!
    I wish I could. I heard it third hand, originating from a brewer who doesn't really like to talk about brewing much. It's more that the first batch was done normally, but he found some other way of doing the second batch which improved it.

Delicious stuff, new favourite beer. Not as heavy/overpowering as something like Goose Island IPA. Been a while since I had draught Galway Hooker so can't compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Had it for the first time today and enjoyed it. Delighted that there's finally an Irish-American pale ale available in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

O'Haras IPA at L. Mulligan. Grocer Pub in Stoneybatter

4817603535_1757197f25_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spaceoddity

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=5963520&id=370726258572&ref=notif&notif_t=photo_reply

Your local O B's will be doing a tasting this weekend - 'cept for Dun Laoghaire, it seems.

The pea-green label is a little off-putting, but perhaps works better in export markets, being Irish etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

The pea-green label is a little off-putting, but perhaps works better in export markets, being Irish etc?
    i think it's fine...kind of makes it stand out.....i dont think the fact its a green label would put ipa drinkers off in fairness

the green definitely is distinctive, but the stout label is black, the curim is yellow/gold, the molings is red...does that mean the ale will be a similar colour to the label? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

the green definitely is distinctive, but the stout label is black, the curim is yellow/gold, the molings is red...does that mean the ale will be a similar colour to the label? :P
    The white color balance might be a bit off on my picture, but that is basically what you get on the label. Maybe the label's green is in reference to hops?

jspruit wrote: »
    The white color balance might be a bit off on my picture, but that is basically what you get on the label. Maybe the label's green is in reference to hops?
    Your picture is decently accurate. Well, we'll find out soon enough! :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Noticed Ryan's of Parkgate Street (just off the quays near the Phoenix park) has Buckleys on draught at the moment...

It's on cask in the Bull & Castle at the moment -- even nicer than the keg version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I had this for the first time in the Salt House in Galway at the weekend, absolutely delicious! Unfortunately there was a problem with the flow and it took about 5 minutes to pour a proper pint with loads going to waste so barman didn't want to pour any more. Will definitely have again, the Galway Hooker afterwards tasted a little bland in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We got an order of these into work and ended up with one case too many so two bottles free each :D

Looking forward to trying it, it smells pretty good anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Frisbee wrote: »
    We got an order of these into work and ended up with one case too many so two bottles free each :D

Looking forward to trying it, it smells pretty good anyway.

I had another bottle over the weekend, definitely growing on me.

Can't help but notice you mod the non-drinkers forum. Are you the devil's advocate?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Had a pint of Buckley's in Ryan's last night. Tasty stuff alright, much better than the bottled Red/Stout/IPA/Curim. I'd definitely get it again.

Advertisement