Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News coverage of Donegal Accident

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just heard the homily by the priest at one of the funerals this morning on Newstalk and he took young people to account for taking risks, not seeing how fragile life is, thinking they are invincible etc etc... Fair play to the guy, he could have just done the usual Father Wishy Washy speech that the priests have done in the previous funerals. He used the opportunity to try to do something constructive, and maybe by putting the blame where it should be, something can be learned from this awful tragedy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

amacachi wrote: »
    Not so much an RTÉ issue, but why had all the papers just got photos of the 7 highly intelligent young men who were in the one car but no picture of the innocent pensioner caught up in it?
    Maybe the man's family didn't supply a photo.
    amacachi wrote: »
    That "Tsunami" word was used on the front page of the Sun today I think.

Also is anyone else sick of the use of the "since records began" line? Are they thinking that maybe there were lads bombing around in the 1850s in Imprezas?
    I don't think proper records were taken until the early 60's. And there were lots of road accidents back in the horsey days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I remember reading once about the number of people killed each years back in the 1970s and it was well over 500 people each year. Of course, back then they were still working on getting people to wear seatbelts. I think it might have been over 600 in 1974. Can't find any historical stats at all on the RSA website, which is surprising as it would show a continued drop in fatalities, only 239 last year. Donegal does jump out as a county, considering it's size and population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The coverage of this has gone way over the top at this stage.. All the homilies were covered today.. and RTE had a reporter live outside one of the churches, and were interviewing people about what the priest said... The family of the next funeral have asked the media to stay away, which I think they should have done right at the start...

I mean we all know what it looks like to see people carrying the coffin out to the hearse, why do we need to see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Aye, it's getting ridiculous. Headline this morning; dead person to be buried later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement