Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sled - Cart

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the sleds dont work to well ,not as well as you might think .
    a deer on grass will slide as well as on a sled if not better .the trick is to have the drag rope the right length ,to keep its head/shoulder up off the grass/heather ,i make a loop and use the empty case to stop the nought form tightening .

snagging is a problem so keeping them high stops this ,heather is a bitch as it catches the legs ,yours and your company's .

carrying the sled is another problem ,my drag rope rolls up the size of a tennis ball .

i spend many hours dragging ever day out ,if there was a handy way we would be using it .
    where i stalk is a mix of national park ,hill , mountain we dont like using a quad ,on hard trails only ,they should be banned off moor ,hills, mountains ,or used under licence by farmers only .

as for the wheel barrow ,il leave that to cal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

The antlers of a stag are good for dragging too.

U make a slit behind the knee caps and use them as anchor points.

Depends on the drag, a lot of my shooting is farm land in seed, so driving is a no no. Taking the long drag along the headland.

Of course if the farmer lets you get a loan of his tractor and transport box, well then happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

jwshooter wrote: »
    the sleds dont work to well ,not as well as you might think .
    a deer on grass will slide as well as on a sled if not better .the trick is to have the drag rope the right length ,to keep its head/shoulder up off the grass/heather ,i make a loop and use the empty case to stop the nought form tightening .

snagging is a problem so keeping them high stops this ,heather is a bitch as it catches the legs ,yours and your company's .
    carrying the sled is another problem ,my drag rope rolls up the size of a tennis ball .

i spend many hours dragging ever day out ,if there was a handy way we would be using it .

Why not give it a try??What have you to lose except a scrap car roof??
    Beauty of this is,if you find that it works,you can cache a few around the area that you hunt so you just have to go to the nearest one and collect it.No worries about anyone lifting it.Who will steal a aul piece of scrap?
    Not saying the drag rope isnt a good idea,but it will knacker the best of us too.

where i stalk is a mix of national park ,hill , mountain we dont like using a quad ,on hard trails only ,they should be banned off moor ,hills, mountains ,or used under licence by farmers only .

You arent secretly working for a revenue think tank to come up with more ideas to erk money out of the taxpayer are you??:D Liscensing quads....More paperwork,more money to be handed out to our corrupt Govt.More money in grants to farmers for "having a quad grant!":)

More sensible would be give idiots who abuse quads ,dirt bikes,jetskis etc a designated area to play in in each county,where they can kill themselves to their hearts content,and prefably as quickly as possible,and let people like stalkers,woodsmen foresters,farmers use these great inventions to their proper use of hauling timber or deer out of the country.
    Still,I suppose we could use the very "green " alternative and use a traditional Highland stalking pony?
    Seen small deer like roe once being gutted,been fitted into a traditional German hunters rucksack.
    as for the wheel barrow ,il leave that to cal
    Maybe there is some merit in a US army medical corps one man stretcher?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

the harkila roe sack does work for deer up to a yearling hind ,i know a few lads that have tried them .

again i will run the hill dragging a sika hind ,some of the ground i stalk there is over a hours walk into it ,to bring a sled with you a ruck sack is wanted .

sleds are designed to carry one deer ,thats never a problem on a rope or 4 sika for that matter .
    a big stag is dead weight no getting away from it you will suffer.

i know a very well know RFD that bought a proper two wheeled barrow made for extraction of deer ,it lasted one outing and it busted a wheel :D.

if your not fit enough to drag a deer on a rope ,your not going to drag it on a sled .

in sweden they use a motorised wheel barrow/sled for the extraction of moose .

not sure if cables do it ;)

in sweden they use a motorised wheel barrow/sled for the extraction of moose .

not sure if cables do it ;)

I know where there is one for sale 2nd hand.Great yoke,if you have a grand to spare.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I know where there is one for sale 2nd hand.Great yoke,if you have a grand to spare.

there is a good few years still left in the legs 45 .

they should make part of the Hcap ,drag a 150 pound weight a 1000 meters ,then shoot your group .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

pimp my wheelbarrowMotorizedWheelbarrow.jpg

Ah but then that would be "dynamic combat sniper training" and the HCAP would be then banned...Hmmm OTOH no great loss!:D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ah but then that would be "dynamic combat sniper training" and the HCAP would be then banned...Hmmm OTOH no great loss!:D

jasus lad get over it .

NEVER!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...i make a loop and use the empty case to stop the nought form tightening...

Sounds to me like you need to learn to tie a Bowline. Never slips or tightens under load, and easy to undo once the load is taken off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

FISMA wrote: »
    I'll have to post some images so you can see the kind of terrain I am talking about. We're talking the kind of misery you [might] remember from the old days footing turf in the bog + drainage ditches from the forestry that often need to be crossed.

The wheelbarrow is a good idea, especially scavenging the handles, however, the wheel hasn't a hope of rotating. The mtb wheels are a must.

The rope is what I have been using, but there's a fair bit of muck - nasty muck at that, that kind of stuff that makes you understand where the term mal-aria (bad-air) comes from.

The dead sled just might be the way to go. I don't know anyone that has used it, was wondering how it would work over here.

The dead sled works fine,a deer packed into it just slides along. Got mine from Cabelas.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

where i stalk is a mix of national park ,hill , mountain
    :eek: :eek: :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I have a couple of basic, light, plastic sleds designed for snow. Got them fr free off a lad a good few years back. They have webbing straps and all on them so they would be comfortable to pull.
    It sounds like they would be ideal for dragging deer through awkward ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭DR6.5

Sika98

Theres parts of the National park where they dont own the shooting rights.

DR6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

i use an ex army poncho,

,just clip up around the deer and it slides along grass ,reeds and bog no prob

when you get to rocky ground you can pick it up like a sack on your back and carry on ,best thing is it keeps the carcass clean and they are tough as nails have yet to rip one

ian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

FISMA wrote: »

Also, I am looking to put the old secondary school wood working classes to use. I prefer to build something like this than just buy it.

Just curious are you in secondary school? You should be more worried about your leaving cert than building a sled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

patsat wrote: »
    Just curious are you in secondary school? You should be more worried about your leaving cert than building a sled!

Emphasis on old secondary school skills.

Old as in when I was there it was called the Inter-Cert and the teacher gave you a smack across the head when you stepped out of line.

Old as in when I went home and told the parents I got in trouble, they said what did you do. Unlike the kiddies today - when they go home and say they got in trouble, mom or dad say "what did the teacher do?"

Now that's old.

Perhaps, patSat we could go to the Leaving Cert writers and get them to have the kiddies build a dead-sled for their exam?

Brilliant!

Advertisement