Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Passage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Is it a heavy book to read?
    Not at all, I'm finding it quite easy to read so far.

It's heavy to carry around though, you need a big book bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Is it a heavy book to read?

No, i found it very easy, no migraine after it. If i read what you call a 'heavy book' i will always have a migraine afterwards.

Ive got an ereader (poket edition) so the book it self is not heavy.

Great idea about the e-reader! I'm going to try making a dent in my book shelf, and will have a look at buying one of those later.

I can really imagine the film version of "The Passage" & good to see Ridley Scott is on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

yep film should be good, do you recon it will be a thriller or horror.

Ive purchased 33 books on the ereader since xmas.
    Sure does save the book shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

I love the feel of a real book though, don't think you can beat it:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im going to new york in november so I might get this for the plane trip over :).

Actually that would be ideal, would keep you occupied! I'm going to NY myself in October, maybe I'll leave "The Passage" until then.

I hope to pick up more books in the US.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just ordered this on play.com for 13.99,free delievery,much cheaper than any book shop in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Love Love Love this book, have about 200 pages to go.. Can'twait to see what happens at the end but don't want the story to end.. I don't think I have ever read a book quite like this one before. It conjurs up a lot of mental images with out being overly violent in the descripitions. 800 pages of superb writing, puts all other ''vamp'' books in the halfpenny place. Twilight... eehhh who now!! Would highly recommend this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

Really enjoyed this, just finished it last week. would recommend it to anyone

• Advertisement

Glad everyone has such positive reviews, I just really hope the second and third books deliver as well!

Finished it last night. Really hope the next two live up to this high standard. I love love loved this book.. Ending was OMG amazing! I was like WTF!!! Don't end... Brilliant.

Haha that's how I felt, hard when there's such a long wait but hopefully it'll be worth it!

I know, but it does mean on the plus side that I can read it again before the second one comes out... This book really blew me away.. Want to start it all over again tomorrow but will refrain..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's taking me ages to read as the copy I have is one of those bloody huge paperbacks!

Is there a smaller print version out I could actually carry in and out of work??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Guys, just a note: if you notice spam, just report it, don't reply to it and quote it. It makes it far more trouble to clear it if you quote it in a reply...

Just ordered this on play.com for 13.99,free delievery,much cheaper than any book shop in town.
    €10.74 in Book Station, Charlestown Shopping Centre, Finglas.

Absolutely love this book, I'm about 300 pages in. It's the best book I've read in a long time!

That's a great price, may think of it for Christmas pressies for people! I lend it to my Aunt and her partner and they're both now reading it at the same time:D

Me too, It is the best book I have read in so long.. I thought I was really enjoying the books I read pre The Passage but they have all paled in comparison.. Just loved it..

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

300 pages in, only got this book on thursday, i dont want it to end, but will more than likely have it finished in the next two nights or so.

But 2 years for the next installment, hope the ending is sufficient enough to keep us interested in waiting 2 years..:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Can anyone confirm or refute the reported likeness to The Stand?

About 550 pages in, only about another 200 or so to go! I will finish it, am loving it still!

I am a great fan of early Stephen King also, and I do think it's like "The Stand" If I can, I'm going to try re-reading "The Stand" at some stage, to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Just finished it last night, not normally my kind of book, but i really enjoyed it.

But two years is a long bloody wait for the second part, heres hoping its as gripping as the first installment :)

I'm about 2/3rds the way through, and the lack of a clear protagonist is really annoying me.

Maybe it's because I'm taking so long to read it (can't commute with it!) but the focus just seems to wander.

Still enjoying it despite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Just started it, about 100 pages in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I love this book so much, I really hope it reads as well the second time as well, I think that's the real test of a book when it still excites you even though you know what's coming!

Can't wait until the second installment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Dades wrote: »
    It's taking me ages to read as the copy I have is one of those bloody huge paperbacks!

Is there a smaller print version out I could actually carry in and out of work??

Sounds like you got the trade paperback version? Books are generally released in this format when they are initially released. 6-8 months later they are released in a more compact manageable format. Trade paperback is a bug bear of mine, I hate that format!

I have a copy thats fairly small that I can commute with. Granted its still at just under 1,000 pages so its never going to be completely compact.

The second part should be due out fairly soon shouldn't it?

Weird I just dropped in here to find my two year old post quoted. :pac:

Not sure I'd read the follow ups, tbh, unless they got rave reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Dades wrote: »
    Weird I just dropped in here to find my two year old post quoted. :pac:

Not sure I'd read the follow ups, tbh, unless they got rave reviews.

Yea sorry, I had a quick search on boards for The Passage, forgot to check the dates on the post :S Im just getting to the end of the first book which is why Im posting on it. I will definitely read the sequel tho, when its out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yea sorry, I had a quick search on boards for The Passage, forgot to check the dates on the post :S Im just getting to the end of the first book which is why Im posting on it. I will definitely read the sequel tho, when its out

The sequel is released on 25th October

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Twelve-Justin-Cronin/dp/0752897861

Advertisement