Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

zulutango wrote: »
    I prefer taking the train to Galway instead of driving. At peak times it isn't a whole lot longer than driving and you don't have to worry about or pay for parking, and you can have a few pints!

It was a night of pints in fairness so the train was kind of ideal. Couldn't argue with the price either. €15 return. How bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭phog

I used to love driving. I really did. The lack of common sense among fellow road users of all types has turned it into a chore. I only drive when I have to these days. Another possibility is that I'm a grumpy old young bollox who is not getting any younger. I took a 2 hour train to Galway over the weekend because the thought of the drive was horrible.

Limerick to Galway...2 hours on a train...would have driven it in less than an hour.

:pac:

Crazy, I sometimes have to drop a relative to the Galway clinic, the train is simply not an option. It's not a great option either if more than one person is travelling with you, the car is so much more flexible and with the motorway now is just so much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

phog wrote: »
    Crazy, I sometimes have to drop a relative to the Galway clinic, the train is simply not an option. It's not a great option either if more than one person is travelling with you, the car is so much more flexible and with the motorway now is just so much faster

The Galway Clinic is on the edge of the city and the motorway leads right up to it. It's a different story if you plan on going to the city centre and have to deal with the notorious Galway traffic.

The Galway Clinic is on the edge of the city and the motorway leads right up to it. It's a different story if you plan on going to the city centre and have to deal with the notorious Galway traffic.

I'd be well on my to Ennis before I'd be parked, picked up my train ticket/s and on the platform at Limerick train station, majority of times I'd be in Galway city before the train with much more flexibility with my departure times.

I also have the flexibility to head to Salthill, Spiddal, etc to make a day of it or stop at Coole Park on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Only problem with the train to Galway is some journeys could be 4+ because you gotta go via Portlaoise and sometimes the stops in Ennis on the way home can be an hour long.

• Advertisement

Train really only works if there is a train station near both your departure and destination points. Hence the importance of developing high density cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Anyone else think halfords is gone poor gone to the dogs lately. as in you look for stuff in the store & they dont have it & it take just as long then for to order it or longer than if u were to buy it online .

Train really only works if there is a train station near both your departure and destination points. Hence the importance of developing high density cities.

That horse has bolted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anyone else think halfords is gone poor gone to the dogs lately. as in you look for stuff in the store & they dont have it & it take just as long then for to order it or longer than if u were to buy it online .

Definitely agree. Some of the staff aren't the best either. Met one recently, asked about something and lets just say she wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

phog wrote: »
    That horse has bolted

What's the alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

yes, went in a few weeks back for a replacement licence plate. staff member in uniform sent me to another staff member with no uniform or tag who then told me they cant replace a license plate without a logbook. i offered an insurance cert and nct with my name and license for proof but wouldnt accept these. i arrived back an hour later with the logbook only to be told by another member of staff that they are out of licence plates for the last few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mdmix wrote: »
    yes, went in a few weeks back for a replacement licence plate. staff member in uniform sent me to another staff member with no uniform or tag who then told me they cant replace a license plate without a logbook. i offered an insurance cert and nct with my name and license for proof but wouldnt accept these. i arrived back an hour later with the logbook only to be told by another member of staff that they are out of licence plates for the last few days!

Buy Irish lads and go to an Irish owned Motor Factors like Top Part on the Dock road.

Wasn't a biggish brunette lady by any chance? Beginning to think we may have met the same staff member!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Has anyone seen bamboo socks around town? Have got them previous years in Penneys, Dunnes and even Tesco but haven’t been able to find them recently.

Buy Irish lads and go to an Irish owned Motor Factors like Top Part on the Dock road.

went to munster car parts in the end, just up near supermacs on the ballysimon road. they were open at 8 and i had my nct at 8.05, thanks to their quick help i made it on time

Wasn't a biggish brunette lady by any chance? Beginning to think we may have met the same staff member!

no, it was 2 lads i was talking to. one in his 30's was in uniform, the other fella was about 20ish

no, it was 2 lads i was talking to. one in his 30's was in uniform, the other fella was about 20ish

Sounds like they're all as bad as each other so!

Sounds like they're all as bad as each other so!

Its all the new staff i seem to see now. None of the old staff are around when u want them. I would know as much as the new staff.it was a dash cam power lead i went in for. But they didnt have it. Nearly next wednessay by the time it would come in. I would get it off amazon quicker.

What's the alternative?

Drive to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

+247554100

Phonecalls again. These scammers must have been on holidays, hadn't gotten one in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yep, got that yesterday evening myself. One ring, stopped. You'd be mad to ring that number back and I'm sure people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

+247554100

Phonecalls again. These scammers must have been on holidays, hadn't gotten one in a while.

Had one of them missed calls yesterday

Buses & trains in this country are a joke. u nearly have to go to dublin & down to wexford if u are to get a train or bus to there from limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭adaminho

Saw a fox run down High street at 3am this morning. I know there's one by the Treaty stone but never saw one that far up town.

adaminho wrote:
    Saw a fox run down High street at 3am this morning. I know there's one by the Treaty stone but never saw one that far up town.

I've seen a few around The Icon over the years

adaminho wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I heard there's a plaque to Sean South on Henry Street but I've never seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I heard there's a plaque to Sean South on Henry Street but I've never seen it?

It’s by Subway. It’s relatively new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

It’s by Subway. It’s relatively new.
    Lovely I'll keep an eye out.
    On another note I was in that Subway yesterday and it's quite poor.

• Advertisement

Lovely I'll keep an eye out.
    On another note I was in that Subway yesterday and it's quite poor.
    That one is pure ****e i was there once years ago never again pure crap not nice @ all & i see it never changed since

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement