Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Open Golf

Options
  • 08-07-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Not a big Golf man but was browsing Oddschecker earlier and noticed Powers & Spoils are paying 7 places. Stan James & Bluesq paying 6

I'll be rooting for McIlroy as Steve Palmer has said he'll have his biggest ever bet on him. Hopefully he'll finally get that elusive 'face spitter' :D

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I've had Ben Cutis E/W @ 80/1 for a good while now :pac:

Will make more bets after Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Justin Rose - In a wonderful run of form and a week or so break since his last victory should have him well rested. Should handle the links easily. e/w @ 25/1 (PP)
    Jim Furyk - Has had a smashing season, only 2 missed cuts and 2 victories. He has taken a week in Ireland to prepare coming up to the Open before moving on to Scotland. Grinder and won't be phased by rough conditions. e/w @ 50/1 (Ladbrokes)
    Shane Lowry - Conditions will suit and he has been playing well of late. I don't think he is a contender but I'm gonna have him for a top 20 @ 9/2 with PP. I think those odds are a little skinny and will be looking around for better value in the coming days.
    Tom Lehman - Followed him for a few holes in Adare and he is striking it sweetly. An alright showing at Loch Lomand at the w/end. He is also a former Open winner and frequent links player. I'm backing him @ 100/30 to be top senior. (Bet365)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

duval e/w @ 250/1 for me (paddy 7 places)

duval e/w @ 250/1 for me (paddy 7 places)

Was having a look at my sentimental bet as ever, Duval last night. He was 200/1 last night!

He went real close back in 2000 if memory serves me, the Road Hole bunker caught him out though in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 spreadwise

If anyone is looking for some value that won't be heavil touted in the media, sportsSpread are refunding outright leaderboard spread bets if Woods wins. Worth a look if you're having a tickle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

spreadwise wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for some value that won't be heavil touted in the media, sportsSpread are refunding outright leaderboard spread bets if Woods wins. Worth a look if you're having a tickle.
    Why won't it be heavily touted dude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 spreadwise

Can't advertise in RPost because of some RPost ruling on spread betting firms and regulation- they only like the blueblooded UK types in their paper who are FSA regulated (as if that's worth a fig).

It's on their site tho, as are the terms and conditions. Decent offer especially if you're new to spread betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tiernanmul_gos

lee westwood ew 16/1 pp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

lee westwood ew 16/1 pp

Bit skinny for a man with an injury. He's 20 with Ladbrokes if you're going to back him or 18 in Boyles if you're looking for the seven places

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Trevor Immelman 150/1 E/W @PP 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Enjoy spending the winnings, GL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Gone for Darren Clarke e/w as he's in good form @ 80/1

Also gone for KJ Choi e/w @ 100/1

and Jimenez e/w @ 110/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Phil Mick @20/1
    JB Holmes @250/1
    VJ @100/1
    All e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

A Molinari 1-2!:D

Collie D wrote: »
    Bit skinny for a man with an injury. He's 20 with Ladbrokes if you're going to back him or 18 in Boyles if you're looking for the seven places

Funny enough Westwood mentioned on SSN earlier how he played 6 holes, went round in -4 :eek:

I know I know it's only a practice day but even still.

On a separate note, Lowry @ 9/2 for a top 20 finish is well stingy I thought :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Normally some the americans come to Ireland the week leading up to the Open to get a bit of links practise in and it usually stands to them when they get to the open! Think Cink may have done so last year...

Anyone hear of anyone doing similar this year, bar those who played in JP's Pro-AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

GampDub wrote: »
    Normally some the americans come to Ireland the week leading up to the Open to get a bit of links practise in and it usually stands to them when they get to the open! Think Cink may have done so last year...

Anyone hear of anyone doing similar this year, bar those who played in JP's Pro-AM?

JP's Pro-AM wasn't on a links though, haven't heard did many hang around after. Doubt they did, probably went straight to Loch Lomond or early to St. Andrews (Bar Woods).

JP's Pro-AM wasn't on a links though,QUOTE]

Aware of that, what I was thinking though did anybody come to Ireland and just do there own thing on the links and not bother with JP's tournament.

If they did would definitely show someone who was really trying to win the Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I beleive Jim Furyk was here playing links golf ? Perhaps someone can confirm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Gone for big John Daly at 200/1 on laddy's..was going nicely until two dodgy holes on his back nine on sunday...

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Gone for big John Daly at 200/1 on laddy's..was going nicely until two dodgy holes on his back nine on sunday...
    slower than normal play in St Andrews won't suit his short fuse/patience

• Advertisement

heavyballs wrote: »

Could you imagine it for your Sunday medal, 18 holes played with only using 11 greens. 6 hours would be optimistic :pac:

Disagree there the play was slow at loch lomond over the weekend and the hole were he came apart caught out half the field and the approach he played was only 2 or 3 yards off line. backing him as he likes st andrews and i always have a punt on him in the hope he keeps his head straight..he reckons he is over his 'injury' ;)

Having a few 5 ew bets on the below...all have good records around st andrews, gonn wait till after friday to see what the tiger is doing im just a bit wary of the fact that he loves st andrews and there is every chance he may go crazy.

Goosen
    Singh
    Ogilvy
    Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

ghosttown wrote: »
    I beleive Jim Furyk was here playing links golf ? Perhaps someone can confirm ?

Furyk stayed on here after the Pro-Am with his wife and kids. Said he was going to play some link courses here but declined to reveal which courses.

henryd65 wrote: »
    Furyk stayed on here after the Pro-Am with his wife and kids. Said he was going to play some link courses here but declined to reveal which courses.

Cheers for that.. will definitely have an E/W bet (45/1 with VC)

Gonna have an E/W bet on KJ Choi also (about 100/1).

Having a few 5 ew bets on the below...all have good records around st andrews, gonn wait till after friday to see what the tiger is doing im just a bit wary of the fact that he loves st andrews and there is every chance he may go crazy.

Goosen
    Singh
    Ogilvy
    Clarke
    think at 100/1 he's great value,his distance control helps him here,but the putting................

Disagree there the play was slow at loch lomond over the weekend and the hole were he came apart caught out half the field and the approach he played was only 2 or 3 yards off line. backing him as he likes st andrews and i always have a punt on him in the hope he keeps his head straight..he reckons he is over his 'injury' ;)
    would love to see him win it,play this week will be a lot slower,they take an age on the greens,not something JD is into,time will tell,also the weather will slow it down more

would love to see him win it,play this week will be a lot slower,they take an age on the greens,not something JD is into,time will tell,also the weather will slow it down more

So was play quicker back in 95 or had JD got even less patient over the years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Posted this in the golf thread, but sure might as well post here as well

My big(ish) odds bets so far are as follows:

Chris Wood:
    obvious talent, good record in the last couple of opens and in good form. Missed the cut at the weekend but that is no bad thing, gives himself time to prepare for this and also moving his odds out to a much more appealing 70/1.

Thomas Bjorn:
    Good form this year and has competed in previous british opens. Was 2nd in 2000 when it was played in St Andrews. Ok, thats a long time ago but at 125/1 is worth an each way bet.

Brian Gay:
    Good short game and great putter, and in relatively good current form. I expect him to have a good run at a major and this might be his chance. There is always one relatively unknown American who competes and this could be his chance. 250/1 is massive odds.

Stephen Gallacher
    4 top 6's in his last six tournaments. Won me a fortune at 175/1 when he won the dunhill links so at 100/1 he is definitely worth an investment. Has to know this place inside out and he's from good stock!

Will probably have one or two more bets on the shorter priced guys before the tournament starts and i've had a good look at weather forecasts and draws for opening two days.

• Advertisement

So was play quicker back in 95 or had JD got even less patient over the years ;)

where have u been?,yes he's got less patient over the years,

Advertisement