Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things your parents/guardians do that make them epic <3

Options
  • 08-07-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

As we have the negative thread we should have the positive :)

I love the fact my Dad will always stick up for me no matter what or who is at me! (I rememeber him always being in my corner back in the school days) We always go for random drives together. We have the weirdest conversations about the stupidest of stuff. He makes the best fried rice.

My mam randomly takes me for lunch. She always buys me shoes and if I like something she's bought she'll give it to me. If I say I'm going to meet a friend or whatever she'll always slip me a few euro. She'll always make sunday dinner the way I want. She taught me to cook(with my nana). I have the best bitching sessions with her and my aunts. And she always confuses me with her youngest sister which is just plain funny.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Some of the stuff my dad says is freaking hilarious. And we get on so well since he's basically just an older version of me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My dad did expose me to some heroically good music in the car when I was young :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got in a bit of an argument with my parents last Saturday. Basically told them I wouldn't be upset if either one of them walked out of the house and didn't come back.

Sunday afternoon, I'm lying in the small room (basically just trying to stay out of everybody's way) watching Kerry versus Limerick. My dad starts knocking at the door, ends up pestering me every few minutes for about an hour, reminding me about the Bob Dylan concert up the road, telling me to go up and see if I can get a ticket at the gate. I finally drag myself down stairs to look for my jacket and my mother calls me into the next room to show me a ticket she'd bought for me the day before (3 hours after the argument).

The two of them annoy me beyond belief, but that was pretty cool of them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My mother bought a giant tub of Greek Yoghurt today. It's so big it didn't fit into the fridge. She had to take out a shelf and rearrange everything. Just for this giant bucket of yoghurt.

That's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

My dad dresses up as elvis and does pub gigs while drinking pints and pints of guinness. And it's not like any aul drunk guy just doing it. He actually is the real deal :P So awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Fad wrote: »
    My dad did expose me to some heroically good music in the car when I was young :)

Same.

Couldn't beat the old Sunday afternoon car journeys; listening to Bowie and The Kinks on the radio, gawking at the amazing scenery out the window and biting on a Feast. Those were happier times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Though he hides it quite well, my dad is actually a massive geek. He used to program all sorts of things on an Olivetti 286 computer, from graphical interfaces to simple games. I've got a lot of fond memories of him teaching me how to use DOS on it when I was very small, mostly so I could play Lemmings. He also gets inordinately excited about cameras and photography, which is the kind of thing I can respect.

Also, he can cook a mean omelette. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

My parents were totally grand when I dropped out of college, they never gave out or complained or second guessed my decision. Once I made up my mind to change course they supported me 100%. That was pretty sweet.

My dad has pretty epic taste in everything. Books, Music, Movies...he's also like a walking encyclopedia. He never complains about his job(he's worked nights and days for 35 years) and sometimes he'll come over and just randomly hug one of us. Oh yeah, and he thought himself Spanish in his spare time and now he's practically fluent... he's a pretty cool guy.

My mam is the hardest working person I know. I don't think she knows what procrastination even means, she's all go go go. She expects a lot from us but to be fair she's no hypocrite. She pushes herself really hard too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

My mom walked into my room this morning and asks if I wanted to go to Oxegen. She offered to buy my ticket. I love my mammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steveoracle

Brought me up well, nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

They make my dinner and wash my clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I really don't get on with my mother but she's one of the funniest people ever. She never really listens to a word I say, which leads to some odd situations. For example, she doesn't understand the CAO, she doesn't even know what it is really. Ages ago, I had my CAO offer from last year on the table or something, and she saw it. She saw the points score on it and started freaking out at me, saying that I didn't improve my points from last year, etc. Until I pointed out that I hadn't even done the Leaving Cert for the second time yet and that offer was 8 months old. :pac: We all got a good laugh out of that.
    She also has no sense of direction and doesn't know what our car is like, as far as she's concerned it's silver, end of. Lots of times when we're out, she gets into random silver cars thinking they're my dad's. :pac:

My dad can be pretty cool sometimes, he usually will give me a lift if I want it even though he forgets about me. A lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I finally told my parents a couple of weeks ago that I was bi and that I had a boyfriend. My Dad was totally fine with it and, after getting over the initial shock, my Mam was too. The fact that they both reacted so well makes them pretty epic. :)

I always thought they were great though; like everyone's parents annoy them at times and mine are no exception but overall I've always gotten on really well with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I get on really well with both my parents. Even though they are separated my mother never stops me from going over to England to my Dad whenever I feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just made dinner because my Mam is in bed - She got up at three last night to bring my younger brother into A&E in Limerick.

That is one small piece of the tale of the most heroic woman in the country. She does everything for me and my three brothers. She drives me and my brother to and from work. I start early, he finishes late. She takes time out of her day to drive us the 8 miles there, then stays up to bring us home. She brings my other two brothers to school, and manages to, usually, to squeeze in making a dinner for everyone, including my Aunt. She also remembers what people like/don't like/are allergic to, and adjusts their own meal accordingly. She also brings my two younger brothers wherever they need to go/do. In between all this, she somehow manages to go to work.
    Needless to say, she is stressed out of her head, but still does it all because it has to be done :(
    Then there's the amount of emotional crap she's been through. Both her parents have died, my Granny died two years ago, and it hit my Mam really hard. Her younger sister died, after my Mam worked so hard to try and stop her drinking.
    I love her so fucking much.

Also, she is cool. I was just saying yesterday how much I'd love to go and see Roger Waters, but that I wouldn't be able. Not only did she immediately realise that I couldn't go because I'd be in the middle of my college exams, but she then suggested that I should go somewhere in Europe to see him instead. There are other little things like that as well... Like the fact that she always buys really cool clothes for me for Christmas.

Then there's my Dad. Another utterly heroic man. He regularly puts in 12 hour shifts at work, again, because he has to. (Stupid mortgages, and all that debt shít. My parents didn't cause this stupid recession, but they've been hit hard by all the cuts. Worst of all, we fall just outside the bracket for the 3rd level grant.) I haven't even seen him yet today.... He also fixes everything. Last night, our washing machine broke, and he fixed it, even though he thought we'd need a new one. He also fixes the cars, and knows exactly what's wrong when something wrong. On top of that, he's super cool. He went to Radiohead twice! He also saw Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, and tried but failed to get tickets for Kings of Leon! His taste in music is far from questionable.

They're both totally remarkable. Love them to absolute bits! :)

EDIT: My Mother is also the best cook in the country. Literally every meal she makes is utterly fantabulous, and she's so modest about it. She nearly always says "Oh, I just threw it together so I hope it's alright...", and every single time she says that, the dinner ends up being class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

simples...

they gave me life.

isnt that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Generally get on well with my parents and apart from the fact that they embarrass me every chance they get they are extremely epic. Just yesterday my mam was dancing around to Queen in the kitchen and my dad was acting like zoro with a bug zapper in the shape of a tennis racket. They ar eboth really funny aswel and will go out of their way to make someone smile, definitely a good quality :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I was listening to Arcade Fire in my room when my mum came up to ask me to turn it down. That was, until she was hit by the fantasticness that is Crown of Love, whereupon she said 'Never mind', sat down and listened to the rest of the album while I continued to browse Boards.

Respect shot up right then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Jako8 wrote: »
    I get on really well with both my parents. Even though they are separated my mother never stops me from going over to England to my Dad whenever I feel like it.

I would of posted this, but this is my exact situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

<3 this thread.

I love my parents, and they've been great to me. Can't quite put it into words yet though. It's complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

The fact that she raised my Sister and I and giving us both the opportunity to go to college despite my Dad dying when I was four. She always puts our needs before hers and never complains. Also happens to be an incredibly talented person, she's an amazing artist (had to give up the chance to go to art college when both her parents got Lung cancer and she had to drop out of school to look after them when she was 17), taught herself piano, can fix pretty much anything, is a phenomenally talented cook and is just generally one of the loveliest individuals around. I wish I could adequately put into words how much she means to me, but yeah, <3 her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I lied to/misled my parents about something stupid for the first time in ages this week, and instead of punishing me when they found out they're just taking the piss.

They can be cool like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

My dad is freaking hilarious. A lot of the time we don't get on, cause I get so impatient with him...but when we're both in a good mood we just make each other laugh so much. It's contagious. He cracks me up. <3 him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ink Arcade

This morning my Mum came into my room with the hoover while I was still in bed. She plonked it down, then went over and hooked my laptop up to my speakers and put on the new Foals album. I was half awake and looking at her funny, so then she said "Right you have until the end of this album to get up and completely tidy your room" and left again.

She knew I'd need something to get me up so she put on some music for me. She got a little cooler after doing that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

My mother does everything for me. I wouldn't function without her.
    One time she went away for a weekend and I really was lost.

I love my mammy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

My parents took me to Toy Story when I was about 2. They could've have abused me everyday for the rest of my life until now and I'd still think they were epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My dad is freaking hilarious. A lot of the time we don't get on, cause I get so impatient with him...but when we're both in a good mood we just make each other laugh so much. It's contagious. He cracks me up. <3 him.

Pretty much this too.

Also as much as I had to admit it to him, I have so much respect for him. While I find it embarrassing that he's still trying to become a famous "rockstar", I have a hell of a lot of respect for the fact that he hasn't given up on his dream. He just recorded a new album recently, and is sending singles out to most of the radio stations.

I don't know what I can say about my Mum, she's amazing. She had one of the worst childhoods I've heard of, her Mum left her, my aunty and uncle when my Mum was 6 months old, with their alcoholic father. Then went onto have another child with him who she kept. My mum and her siblings grew up in complete poverty, they had to steal food, while they had a house, they were only allowed in 2 rooms of it, after certain times, slept under coats. Had to get jobs from a really young age etc. I don't know how she's turned out so normal and strong, her stories remind me of Phoebe from friend's, you can barely believe half of them. She split with my Dad twice, finally about 6 years ago. But hasn't let that stop her. She's turned around and trained in psychology and psychotherapy, and is now a working counsellor.

I have so much respect for her, can talk to her about anything, have such a laugh with her, I'd consider her as cheesy as it sounds one of my best friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I think dad is class because he supports any decision I make even though he doesn't really agree with them. He makes me laugh all the time, gives me money even though he has feck all himself, calls women 'beures' and talks about when he used to get the shift.
    Mam and I are just so friggin close! :D She has helped me out when I got into really bad situations and is always supportive and bubbly about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

My Dad is the funniest person I´ve ever met, I probably get my sene of humour from him.
    Just to illustrate what a ledge he is, he once turned to an aul wan at a funeral and asked her ´So when will you be giving us all a day out?´, and instead of being offended, she laughed.

And both my parents are the biggest culchies going, which I find pretty hilarious.

Advertisement